Sign in to follow this  

BRAND NEW 150sx WONT START

I just got a 2015 ktm 150sx yesterday. Started riding today but it was raining so i went in. Eventually it stopped and when i took out the bike it just wouldnt start.

Hold throttle wide open and kick it slowly through two or three times. More than likely just flooded and if you don't already, always shut the gas off when parking it. If you all use ethanol gas up there ALWAYS ALWAYS shut the gas off and let it idle until it dies when you're done riding. This clears the carb and will prolong the length of time that you won't have to clean the carb. The jets will get plugged up by the waxey residue left behind after gasoline evaporates.

• Like 1

Take it back to the dealer. I would consider myself to be extremely mechanically inclined, but if I just made a 7k purchase, and it didn't start after the first day.....to the dealership it would go.

• Like 1

Hold throttle wide open and kick it slowly through two or three times. More than likely just flooded and if you don't already, always shut the gas off when parking it. If you all use ethanol gas up there ALWAYS ALWAYS shut the gas off and let it idle until it dies when you're done riding. This clears the carb and will prolong the length of time that you won't have to clean the carb. The jets will get plugged up by the waxey residue left behind after gasoline evaporates.

Don't idle the bike until it dies. Bad advice, due to the fact that when the bike starts leaning out on fuel, it also leans out on oil. Just drain the carb, thats what the drain screw is on the bottom is for... Edited by orangyktmthing
  • Like 2

Take it back to the dealer. I would consider myself to be extremely mechanically inclined, but if I just made a 7k purchase, and it didn't start after the first day.....to the dealership it would go.

Even if your own dumb ass caused the problem? An electrical failure is one thing, fouling a plug is another...

**not calling you a dumb ass directly, saying it as a general of incompetent people**

• Like 1

Even if your own dumb ass caused the problem? An electrical failure is one thing, fouling a plug is another...

**not calling you a dumb ass directly, saying it as a general of incompetent people**

I understand what you are saying, monk. If I was in that position, having the know how, I would take it in. Last thing that I would want is to have something creep up a bit down the road, then have to shell out the dough to fix it myself, versus on ktm's dime. If it is a fouled plug, with an inexperienced person...they might want to pull the plug....or turn on the gas, if the petcock is off.. Edited by orangyktmthing
  • Like 1

Why wouldn't you check the plug if it didn't start? That's the second thing I ever check right after making sure there is gas in the tank.

Seems much easier to rule out than load it up and have a dealer figure it out for you.

When a bike sits for a long time, pre-mix will settle out of the gas. When you open the petcock, the mixture can be pretty rich and foul a plug. I always shake the bike side to side a few times if the bike has sat for a while. That will remix the gas and oil before I open the petcock. Changing the plug is as far as I'd go trying to fix a problem on a brand new bike. You don't get brownine points for doing the dealer's job. LOL

Edited by pdxhillbilly

If someone brought a bike in to my shop with a fouled plug they would be charged full labor and parts and be told to take up ball sports.

If someone brought a bike in to my shop with a fouled plug they would be charged full labor and parts and be told to take up ball sports.

Lmao rofl. good story dood. 

Like hell you would those are the kind of people you make all your money off of. The kind of people that bring their bike in for fouled plugs and to clean the air filter and new tires are who you make money off of. Sell them the parts plus the easy labor.

• Like 3

Thanks guys i got it started last night it was just flooded, its my first two stroke so its gonna take a while to stop giving it alot of gas when i start it but damn the bike is fun.

• Like 1

If it has a reserve position on the fuel petcock turn it to that and try to start it.

Thanks guys i got it started last night it was just flooded, its my first two stroke so its gonna take a while to stop giving it alot of gas when i start it but damn the bike is fun.

Agree, I love my 300, but my sons 150 is so much fun to ride.