Title transfer and bill of sale

Not sure if this the right area to post this.but can anyone tell me if this is correct the cost of a current registration title transfer for a 01 yz250 in California? I paid $116 by the way for the title trans. But I feel like that's a bit high or am I tripping?

Not sure if this the right area to post this.but can anyone tell me if this is correct the cost of a current registration title transfer for a 01 yz250 in California? I paid $116 by the way for the title trans. But I feel like that's a bit high or am I tripping?

Welcome to California.  That state is run by communists and Democrats (same thing really) so they bleed you wherever they can. 

I paid $33.00 for my title transfer in TX, no sales tax because it's not street legal.  Out there you gotta lie (OMG!!!) and say you bought a dirt bike frame for $200 just to escape the sales tax. 

But when I lived in Cali, I forgot what the title fee was for the bike I bought used.  It was higher than TX, no doubt there.

Thanks for the reply. But yea I feel like that it shouldn't be that high for a title trans.. I mean it had no fees, is off road only and only needed the trans.

Edited by Yagatogi

You mean an oil drinking, smoke belching, global warming two stroke on california? How dare you try to pollute more than a rich girls escalade. But no, seriously, i hated living in california. Then i moved to illinois...fml

• Like 1

At that price it sounds like the bike you transferred into your name was only "worth" $500. Whether you are buying a vehicle or receiving a vehicle as a "gift" from a non-family member you have to pay taxes on it. Based on passed experiences, the only time I've paid 120 for title transfer/registration is when the box in the pink said I got it for $500. I currently just bought a bike from an honest guy and he put the full amount in the box and I have to pay $250 to put that one in my name.

The only time you pay less than that is when you are receiving a vehicle from a family member. My dad gave me his old truck once and it only cost me $15 to put it under my name. 

At that price it sounds like the bike you transferred into your name was only "worth" $500. Whether you are buying a vehicle or receiving a vehicle as a "gift" from a non-family member you have to pay taxes on it. Based on passed experiences, the only time I've paid 120 for title transfer/registration is when the box in the pink said I got it for $500. I currently just bought a bike from an honest guy and he put the full amount in the box and I have to pay $250 to put that one in my name.

The only time you pay less than that is when you are receiving a vehicle from a family member. My dad gave me his old truck once and it only cost me $15 to put it under my name. 

California is full of communists.. I can't say it enough.  But I'm jealous of your riding.

Thanks for the reply. But yea I feel like that it shouldn't be that high for a title trans.. I mean it had no fees, is off road only and only needed the trans.

You were charged sales tax (8-9 plus percent depending on the county) plus the registration fee, and probably the OHV fee. It should all be itemized on your DMV receipt.

ok so now i did my other bike but i totally forgot how much i got it for and spat out a random amount at the dmv for sure it wont match up with sellers release of liability piece.so my question is, what do i do and what will be the blow back on me for this mistake?

I wouldn't worry as you're giving them way top much credit - It's not as if there's someone at a desk that matches the 2 documents.

I met someone that said he was busted when he walked in to the DMV to do his new reg...  the old owner mailed in the form a month before he showed up to reg the bike and the clerk called him on the price cause it was in the computer from the mailed in form.

Wasn't me...  just what someone told me recently when I bought a bike from him. 

I met someone that said he was busted when he walked in to the DMV to do his new reg...  the old owner mailed in the form a month before he showed up to reg the bike and the clerk called him on the price cause it was in the computer from the mailed in form.

Wasn't me...  just what someone told me recently when I bought a bike from him. 

Wow. 

OK then - left hand, meet right hand and get the story straight..Having said that, still wouldn't loose sleep - too many other things to loose sleep over than our Golden State's DMV.

Edited by dyrtmon
  • Like 1