Throttle control help

Hey guys I am looking for some tips on throttle control,as a ex quad mx guy when I made the switch to bikes(when my balls dropped) my thumb throttle came with me.At first I though it was a great idea because I could basically ride as aggressive as I did on my quad right out of the gate.But the reality of it is it is allowing me to ride "lazy" and with poor body positioning as well as other bad habits that I think are hurting my progress,such as cornering ect. Any how that being said I am not brand new to a twist but it has been on street bikes and slow paced trail riding on low powered dirtbikes.Any advice as basic as it may seem will be helpful and greatly appreciated.I have all the parts to put my bike back to a twist coming this week.Thanks guys

Hey guys I am looking for some tips on throttle control,as a ex quad mx guy when I made the switch to bikes(when my balls dropped) my thumb throttle came with me.At first I though it was a great idea because I could basically ride as aggressive as I did on my quad right out of the gate.But the reality of it is it is allowing me to ride "lazy" and with poor body positioning as well as other bad habits that I think are hurting my progress,such as cornering ect. Any how that being said I am not brand new to a twist but it has been on street bikes and slow paced trail riding on low powered dirtbikes.Any advice as basic as it may seem will be helpful and greatly appreciated.I have all the parts to put my bike back to a twist coming this week.Thanks guys

The main thing is just having some seat time. Nothing will help more than that.

As already posted, seat time will help for sure.  

Try to slow down and concentrate on proper form.  Take it easy and pay attention to you core and shoulder position.  Try to be in front of the bike and let the bike "push" you instead of hanging on.  Proper core body position will allow your arms to be slightly loose.  That should free up your throttle hand so you will have more control over your wrist.  Concentrate on being smooth on your transitions from standing to seating and the necessary re-grips required of the throttle.  Hopefully, that makes a little sense....  It's hard to explain typing it out.  Do some searches and watch some videos.  Gary Semics, who frequents this forum, has some great videos on transitions, braking, and throttle control.  

I have been riding for longer than I like to admit.  I recently went from a carbureted 450 to fuel injection 450.  I struggled with being smooth on the throttle as well.  I had to make myself slow down and go through the fundamentals again.  You will be amazed how fast you can go when you take it easy and do things properly.  When you get the techniques down, then it's time to twist the throttle wide open and have some fun.

Hope this helps some 

Eric

Thats great advice and it all makes perfectly good sense to me.I cant wait to get back on the bike and practice all of this once all my snow melts.Thanks again for taking the time to help bud!

Btw i am mkh77. I have now idea how I just posted under my old account. Lol

Of course going from a thumb to a twist throttle will take time to make it feel natural and automatic. The time is to reprogram your sub-conscious mind and automatic reflex reactions. But make sure you are reprogramming with the correct techniques. Proper grip on the throttle is key. There are two grip positions, one is for braking and one for accelerating. The accelerating grip is also referred to as "over grip". This is effective because it allows you to keep you upper body up and over the bike when opening the throttle. The braking grip is lower which allows you to handle the braking bumps while your wrists stay aligned. 

Here's a link to a free video riding tip regarding "Clutch, Throttle and Shifting Techniques". 

Thank you very much for your insight and your time Gary. I really appreciate it! Great video!