Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Did the yamaha ride day , have some questions 2015/2014

so we race and have a 14 kx250f  ,that is our main bike  , pretty much stock except for a slip on , and a custom map , and springed for riders weight, we heard yamaha was having a ride day ,close by so for shits and giggles we went, we spent most of the day on the 250f , to my supprise ,i could see after a couple warm up laps , that my son was very noticeably faster on the blue bike vs our green bike , he came in ,and said he loved it , we stayed till the end of the day and the yamaha guys just let him ride it all he wanted every lap he was getting faster and faster ,he could attack the whole track better then his green bike , mainly he said it just tracked better where ever he pointed it just went, so here comes my question

model tested 2015 ,i know if i buy a 15 you pay top dollar

Ive found new 2014 's for a good price , but , im not sure what all they did between the 2 yrs 

next when does yamaha release there new models , maybe i could wait till then , and pick up a 15 ?

obviously yamaha did a ecu change and suspension in 15 just those two things mean alot if you want a get on and race , if we already know my son liked those two things , 

I sure was blown away that the yamaha just blew away the kx250f in what I saw , and my son felt , luckly Im not brand loyal ,and i really like the local yamaha shop

I have not ridden a 15 yet, have 44 hours on my 14 with no issues at all. Some of the magazine reviews point out the refinements of the 15. 

Last year the 15's were available in late june here, maybe sooner in cali. No word on the 16's yet. 

Really happy to hear your opinion as well as your sons, I really dont think there is a better 250f to own..

If you want to buy now, then get a 14, as the difference isn't much. If you already get your suspension set up on your bikes, like you did on your KX, then the suspension change from 14-15 mean very little. As far as the ECU changes, I'd recommend getting the GYTR tuner regardless of what year you are buying, so once again the changes between 14-15 mean very little. If you for some reason still are set on a 15 only, then I would say mid-late summer would be when you can pick one up for a discounted price. 

Edited by ah665

Around August the new '16 info comes out. Is your son's racing division super competitive and he's in front where a new bike over his KXF would make a big difference in contingencies between now and then?

I did alot of reading , and the crank thing got me a little bit , i couldn't figure out if yamaha started making the 15's with a superseded crank , or if its just available as a part to order , honestly I don't think all of them will grenade ,but obviously they have a better crank available , so starting from scratch it's something for me to consider , can someone clear that up? , the main problem we have with the kxf is the handling it has a vag feeling going into turns ,then wants to knife on the exits , since it has adjustable preload on the forks , that i haven't played with alot , i plan on spending some time on the forks , but honestly i just think the chasis just suits my son better with the yamaha  we have had the kx for 4 months now , and it just blew my mind seeing him within a couple laps on the yamaha be so much faster , and much more confident on it , and i know those demos are stock, and he's 14 and 130 pds wet , so it wasnt even springed perfect for his  weight, were right in the middle of lorretta qualifiers so timing sucks to switch bikes right now

Get the '15 on sale:

- crank has got me a little worried on my '14.

- if you plan on keeping the bike for more than a year, the '14 might become ineligible for contingency $.

- there are a couple of updates on the newer model: I'd like the light pull throttle from the '15 ... but apparently that's not an easy thing to do to the '14.

Get the '15 on sale:

- crank has got me a little worried on my '14.

- if you plan on keeping the bike for more than a year, the '14 might become ineligible for contingency $.

- there are a couple of updates on the newer model: I'd like the light pull throttle from the '15 ... but apparently that's not an easy thing to do to the '14.

Agreed, rod issue has me concerned as well especially with a modded engine. 

Yup 15's should go on closeout soon, dont forget about blucru rebates and contingency. 

I would think someone trying to qualify for lorretta's should get assistance if something did happen to the engine. In all fairness Kx250f's  have been 

known to grenade as well.. 

yep , Ive heard of a few , at 30 hrs we did a top end and the piston pin didn't look great , what I was told on those though , was the casting on the cylinder wasnt perfect, putting a side load on the crank