Decarbonizing/Cleaning your dirtbike engine

Hey there.

I have decided to make a post about the carbon deposits that build up in your engine, or should i say cleaning those carbon deposits.

I have seen people open the engines ( removing the head ) and scraping the piston and the head or scrubbing them with a scotch bright like cloth.

But those options take time and money, you need to have the right tools for the job,and also probably buy a new head gasket etc...

One night while i was searching youtube i found a very interesting video, a guy claiming that he could decarbonize his engine with just tap water, and he proceeded to disconnect his air intake hose from the air box, start the engine, and just sprayed the intake hose with water. Being the fast judging as*hole i am, i rapidly stood up from the chair i was sitting on, quickly pointed at the computer, and rage-fully described the gentleman in the video as a, putting it in kind words, "mentally disabled" human being (not trying to disrespect the actual mentally disabled, but like i said, thats putting it in kind words, as you can imagine not those exact words were mentioned, i omitted the ones used, in a effort to try to keep this post , semi friendly).After watching the whole video, i went on a search on that topic, turns out i am the actual ignorant here, that method actually seems to work based on several youtube videos, and my not so extensive google research, for both disel  and petrol.

Moral of the history, i would like to know your opinions on this, if that method works on petrol engines, i would assume it would work on a 4 stroke bike, how about a 2 stroke, any one tried this before, and if so, are the results better with just opening the engine, or could you get by, just using tap water?

Thanks for your time guys, if i find out anything else about this matter, i will let you know, hopefully you'l do the same ?

Video mentioned above ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOoIuBu5xO4 

Edited by Sp4nky

What's wrong with some seafoam? And then do a little water injection (preferably under load)

Hey there, well that was a fast response :D

What do you mean by "under load"? Reving the bike?

And do you apply it on the carb?

Find some way to squirt a mist in to the intake...something like a misty-mate; or rig one out of a 1 quart bug sprayer, some tubing, a micro mister sprinkler head, and some zip ties....set up the system and match the spray rate to the intake volume by listening to it just revving it and the stand...all that's left then is to ride it

Water injection is nothing new or exotic. ...anything with forced air induction LOVES it

Edited by bobsled

WOW!  I was just going to post about this topic.

I was going to ask if anyone uses SeaFoam on dirtbikes.  It is quite popular in the boating world.  I was planning to run some through my KTM 2-strokes, which are both coming due for top-end soon even thought they are running great.

I was  thinking to put it in before the race and let it smog everyone on the starting line.

• Like 1

WOW! I was just going to post about this topic.

I was going to ask if anyone uses SeaFoam on dirtbikes. It is quite popular in the boating world. I was planning to run some through my KTM 2-strokes, which are both coming due for top-end soon even thought they are running great.

I was thinking to put it in before the race and let it smog everyone on the starting line.

You can put seafoam in the gas, but I wouldn't during a race...for best results, pour it right in the intake until it chokes up whilst feeding it some throttle...let it set for a while, then start it, idle/gentle rev for a while and let the smoke clear

Find some way to squirt a mist in to the intake...something like a misty-mate; or rig one out of a 1 quart bug sprayer, some tubing, a micro mister sprinkler head, and some zip ties....set up the system and match the spray rate to the intake volume by listening to it just revving it and the stand...all that's left then is to ride

That seems to be a good method , have you tried that before? And did it work nice? Did you get a change to look inside the cylinder maybe through the spark plug hole, and see if the piston look cleaner?

WOW!  I was just going to post about this topic.

I was going to ask if anyone uses SeaFoam on dirtbikes.  It is quite popular in the boating world.  I was planning to run some through my KTM 2-strokes, which are both coming due for top-end soon even thought they are running great.

I was  thinking to put it in before the race and let it smog everyone on the starting line.

Hahaha, well theres some coincidence for you right there ? Is it really necessary to do it thought , since you will be doing a top end soon?

All of this said, I have never tried any of this on a 2t, but I will consult my buddy 2moro (he WILL know) consider this information disclaimed, and yourself warned

Hahaha that would be great thanks, il be waiting for your feedback

On automobiles we call it an induction service. We use BG products. A pressurized container of cleaner is misted into the intake while the engine is running. It cleans the throttle plate, valves and pistons. Just don't add too much too quick or you could hydraulic the piston and bend a rod. It actually improves idle and performance on cars. If you ride your bike hard and its jetted right carbon shouldn't be a huge issue. The newer cars with direct injection need an induction service regularly since the intake valve isn't getting spray washed by the injector. Many di engines are having misfire issues due to carboned up intake valves. And at low mileage!

On automobiles we call it an induction service. We use BG products. A pressurized container of cleaner is misted into the intake while the engine is running. It cleans the throttle plate, valves and pistons. Just don't add too much too quick or you could hydraulic the piston and bend a rod. It actually improves idle and performance on cars. If you ride your bike hard and its jetted right carbon shouldn't be a huge issue. The newer cars with direct injection need an induction service regularly since the intake valve isn't getting spray washed by the injector. Many di engines are having misfire issues due to carboned up intake valves. And at low mileage!

And would this work on a 2 stroke engine?

Hey there.

I have decided to make a post about the carbon deposits that build up in your engine, or should i say cleaning those carbon deposits.

I have seen people open the engines ( removing the head ) and scraping the piston and the head or scrubbing them with a scotch bright like cloth.

But those options take time and money, you need to have the right tools for the job,and also probably buy a new head gasket etc...

One night while i was searching youtube i found a very interesting video, a guy claiming that he could decarbonize his engine with just tap water, and he proceeded to disconnect his air intake hose from the air box, start the engine, and just sprayed the intake hose with water. Being the fast judging as*hole i am, i rapidly stood up from the chair i was sitting on, quickly pointed at the computer, and rage-fully described the gentleman in the video as a, putting it in kind words, "mentally disabled" human being (not trying to disrespect the actual mentally disabled, but like i said, thats putting it in kind words, as you can imagine not those exact words were mentioned, i omitted the ones used, in a effort to try to keep this post , semi friendly).After watching the whole video, i went on a search on that topic, turns out i am the actual ignorant here, that method actually seems to work based on several youtube videos, and my not so extensive google research, for both disel and petrol.

Moral of the history, i would like to know your opinions on this, if that method works on petrol engines, i would assume it would work on a 4 stroke bike, how about a 2 stroke, any one tried this before, and if so, are the results better with just opening the engine, or could you get by, just using tap water?

Thanks for your time guys, if i find out anything else about this matter, i will let you know, hopefully you'l do the same ?

Video mentioned above ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOoIuBu5xO4

Do you know what the symptoms of carbon build up are?

I've done the water trick on a few engines with successful results (not motorcycles) but I wouldn't attempt it on a 2 stroke engine.

(unlike a 4T the intake charge is first passed thru the crankcase before reaching the combustion chamber)

On automobiles we call it an induction service. We use BG products. A pressurized container of cleaner is misted into the intake while the engine is running. It cleans the throttle plate, valves and pistons.

on a side note, the sea foam in the aresol can is NOT the same thing as regular seafoam administered via manifold induciton....i use the sea foam deep creep in the aresol can to winterize my jetboat, but it is truly not a big enough volume of an application for any car engine if you are looking for a deep clean....imo

And would this work on a 2 stroke engine?

Like another guy said, since your fuel,/oil is lubricating your bottom end bearings I'd be a little worried about hurting the crank. On a four stroke the piston and crank are lubed by crankcase oil so its not a problem. If you are changing your piston out every year like you should be, carbon shouldn't be a big issue.

For a 4 stroke single cylinder the easiest way I have found to apply seaform is running the engine until warm then remove the carb. Rotate until the intake valve is open. Pour a little bit into it. This gets some on the piston, which can have carbon on it. Then rotate to close the intake valve. Use a toothbrush to apply to all of the intake runner. Reinstall the carb and leave it sitting overnight. It'll smoke and run rich on startup but should blow out most of the carbon.

This can also work with marvel mystery oil, diesel fuel, ATF, fork oil or anything else that is loaded with detergents. I like using diesel fuel because it is cheap and doesn't give off much fumes.

Like another guy said, since your fuel,/oil is lubricating your bottom end bearings I'd be a little worried about hurting the crank. On a four stroke the piston and crank are lubed by crankcase oil so its not a problem. If you are changing your piston out every year like you should be, carbon shouldn't be a big issue.

Not disputing what you say....but it suddenly hits me, seafoam is safe to put in oil, why wouldn't it be safe for 2t? Not sure I would do water induction on a 2t, but don't see much problem with seafoam, myself