Sign in to follow this  

rim refinish ideas?

I recently bought myself a project 2002 yz250. this is just a low budget project bike so funds are to a minimum. what would you all recommend doing with these wheels? I thought about plastidip, but the first time I put my paddle tire on they will be destroyed. I do not have a wheel alignment tool, so delacing them and having them powder coated is probably out. I tried carb cleaner, brake cleaner, and lacquer thinner with pretty much no luck. It looks like the previous owner tried scraping it off the front wheel because its all scratched up. I ordered a graphics kit, and some new plastics in hope to get this bike looking decent but the wheels are just embarrassing.

IMG_20150330_204000577_zpslin4npr5.jpgIMG_20150330_204016900_zpsrk2bcbfy.jpg

I'm not sure about ides to refinish them but a well truing stand is easy to make I had some scrap steel I drilled few holes in and a pice of threaded rod. And 2 aluminum cones I made. I made mine on a lathe but I think that aluminum bar inserts that are supposed to replace the rubber ones would work also and they are pretty cheap. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1427891289.168738.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1427891333.424967.jpg

• Like 1

thanks for the info guys, I guess I assumed that truing stand had to be some fancy perfect tool. I will probably pull them down and powder coat them. I dont see much else for options.

Edited by danzick

thanks for the info guys, I guess I assumed that truing stand had to be some fancy perfect tool. I will probably pull them down and powder coat them. I dont see much else for options.

when I made mine it took me 20 minutes. I've used the method of doing it on the bike but it's much easier on a stand.

I'd soda blast them. Don't even bother taking the wheel off the bike or tire off the wheel, won't affect it and you'll keep the grit out. You'll get a nice clean finish in a few minutes.

Soda blast. It will leave a dull aluminum finish but they will match and look better. 

Or just powder coat them. 

Steel wool paint thinner elbow grease

I'll vote for the remove them from the bike, and then soda blast them plan. It will be the least labor intensive and will most likely give the most uniform appearance.  If you want to delace them you could get them powder coated which might give a really good look if done correctly.

I recently fixed up a 1998 KX125 and was looking for ways to make certain parts and trim on the bike look better, so I took them off and coated them in Linex truck bed liner. It created a very durable texturized pattern on the parts I coated. I didn't do the wheels but it's the same principal. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1439860639.171553.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1439860688.027553.jpg

• Like 1