My new 2015 350RR Race

Hi folks!

Many of you assisted me in decided what to buy and for those that didn't follow along, I picked up my new bike last Friday. I have only been around my block on it so far so no ride reports yet but figured I would start a new thread more specific to my experiences. I should get a fair amount of time on the bike this Fri-Sunday so should have some solid feedback. 

For those that don't know some background. I am coming off of a 2008 CRF 450X. Riding mostly tight single track stuff so I wanted to get more nimble. I tip the scales at 6' 230 lbs in street clothes. I fell in love with a buddies Husky FE 350 and was looking for similar, all while I guess a midlife minor crisis set in and I decided I wanted what I considered the best of the best. Treat myself, splurge, whatever you want to call it. I didn't want to go orange for a variety of reasons. In the end, the perception of a Beta being a "premuim" is so false its scary. Its actually a deal in my opinion compared to any other semi similar new 2015 bike.

So...with that said...first thoughts...

There is NO picture that does this bike justice. Its simply stunning in real life. The fit, finish, quality is just apparent all around.

On my test ride around the block, the bike will idle in first gear and not stall....thats new to me....kinda neat. 

The only two minor negative's I have found so far is:

1= The fuel tank opening is like a mini bike and is too small for my poor mans dry break I used on my CRF. Its the basic 2-3 gallon red jug from Cycle Gear. I love that thing, no spills, quick fill up, but I guess I am not using it on my new Beta. They make a smaller adapter but the reviews are not good at all...so funnel and regular cap it is!

2= I will baseline the suspension per the Beta manual, but not sure how they expect you to do much on the top of the forks with the handlebars so damn close!! Time will tell if its an issue.I tried turning the clickers by hand with no luck, and any plier type tool will chew them up.I think the 30mm risers would fit me better and fix the clearance there at the same time. Still thinkin...

Excited to get my order from Beta if it ever ships- rear shark fin, red hand guards to replace the white it came with, radiator guards, slave guard, red reservoir caps for clutch and frt brake, and of course hats n shirts and a jersey!

I think thats it for now...

Real reports to come!!

Greg

Beta.jpg

• Like 6

Hi folks!

Many of you assisted me in decided what to buy and for those that didn't follow along, I picked up my new bike last Friday. I have only been around my block on it so far so no ride reports yet but figured I would start a new thread more specific to my experiences. I should get a fair amount of time on the bike this Fri-Sunday so should have some solid feedback. 

For those that don't know some background. I am coming off of a 2008 CRF 450X. Riding mostly tight single track stuff so I wanted to get more nimble. I tip the scales at 6' 230 lbs in street clothes. I fell in love with a buddies Husky FE 350 and was looking for similar, all while I guess a midlife minor crisis set in and I decided I wanted what I considered the best of the best. Treat myself, splurge, whatever you want to call it. I didn't want to go orange for a variety of reasons. In the end, the perception of a Beta being a "premuim" is so false its scary. Its actually a deal in my opinion compared to any other semi similar new 2015 bike.

So...with that said...first thoughts...

There is NO picture that does this bike justice. Its simply stunning in real life. The fit, finish, quality is just apparent all around.

On my test ride around the block, the bike will idle in first gear and not stall....thats new to me....kinda neat. 

The only two minor negative's I have found so far is:

1= The fuel tank opening is like a mini bike and is too small for my poor mans dry break I used on my CRF. Its the basic 2-3 gallon red jug from Cycle Gear. I love that thing, no spills, quick fill up, but I guess I am not using it on my new Beta. They make a smaller adapter but the reviews are not good at all...so funnel and regular cap it is!

2= I will baseline the suspension per the Beta manual, but not sure how they expect you to do much on the top of the forks with the handlebars so damn close!! Time will tell if its an issue.I tried turning the clickers by hand with no luck, and any plier type tool will chew them up.I think the 30mm risers would fit me better and fix the clearance there at the same time. Still thinkin...

Excited to get my order from Beta if it ever ships- rear shark fin, red hand guards to replace the white it came with, radiator guards, slave guard, red reservoir caps for clutch and frt brake, and of course hats n shirts and a jersey!

I think thats it for now...

Real reports to come!!

Greg

Awesome bike,   i have tools that we have made to adjust the forks    the wrench we have made will adjust the pfp adjuster (you can use a 22mm box wrench ) and the other is for the compression adjuster our second gen. tool will have both in 1 tool, should be done soon 

* As for your tank remove it ,drain it and remove fuel pump to avoid getting debris in tank  then use a pipe deburring tool to remove a little material at a time till your Tuff Jug fits in  

then clean tank of course ,re-install and ride>>>>>

* I am pretty much same size as you (your gonna need springs front and rear )  i added 10mm risers which gives you plenty of room to be able to adjust forks

* The air box cover  clips will break(unless they are  black) replace them with ones from ktm costs about $5.00  and 15 mins to do 

* Add the FMF exhaust and ditch the backfire screen, remap the ecm it will add some respectable gains and a nice bark 

* Add PC fork skins  keep the seals clean dlc coated forks leak if the seals get any debris in them

* red loctite the rear brake pedal mounting nut or drill and cotter pin/safety wire these work their  way loose at times  

Edited by mxzrev
  • Like 1

Mxzrev...super info and thank you very much! I know i have spring changes ahead, but I want a solid feel/knowledge/history "out of the box". I am also 85% sure I will have at minimum the Zokes massaged. Dunno by who yet.

call us when your ready for the suspension we have a good turn around time !

I've seen the KTM air box cover mod mentioned before, I ham fisted mine the second day I had it and had to order clips. I'm more careful about lining up the cover to put it on now but it will most likely happen again, so pics would be nice if someone has some. TIA

you really will not be able to see much in the pic but the part number you will need to get from The Orange guys is   54806008050  QUICK RELEASE-SPRING HANGER   (qty 2) then you will need 4 rivets  to complete the job they are the same design as beta just a different material 

Hi folks!

Greg

Congrats on the bike, can't wait to hear your reviews. Did you set your sag and is it going to be ok or will you have to add a heavier spring? 

Well here we go with report/feedback/likes, etc.

First and foremost...I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this bike!!!!!! Please don't take any of my feedback as negative, its really nit pickin lil stuff or just FYI.

Let me set the stage first. I have been on the road for 3 weeks straight. Arrived from back Colorado (to Flower Mound, TX where I live)  at 3am Thurs morning, slept four hours, got up and started prepping to ride. Understand my "crew" is my MUCH better half on a CRF150, her son on a XR70 I built him, and her sons buddy whom I have adopted for riding purposes, and he is on a TTR110.

I simply loaded and left for Muenster/Red River Riding Trails as soon as we could. I put the hand guards, frame protectors, and digital dash in the truck and headed out. I did take a flash drive with the owners manual, Sachs Manual, Zoke Manual, and Service Manual to Fedinko's and had the print and bind it all for $65.

Friday morning in camp was spent prepping the kids bikes, and putting new tires on the GF 150, never touching my new bike. By 10- or 11 am I had a chance to put the handguards and frame protectors on and then went to put the dash on and here is my first Hmmm....you cannot run the dash with JUST the number plate (no headlight). There is no room between the plate and the crossbar. I may make a spacer but I REALLY want the dash all the time, and the headlight some of the time. I didn't bring the headlight since Red River is basically sun up to sun down riding rules. So no dash for first ride..oh well.

At this point I have looked at it long enough. Top off the gas with my special mix and set tire pressures to 10lbs and go.

First thing I notice is the overall "throw" or distance the shifter requires to shift is HALF of any other bike. Good news is it makes shifts quick and easy. Bad news is any bump of the shifter and you neutral it. Only happened a few times but I did notice it. I honestly think that's why the "toe" piece of the shifter is a bit shorter than average, to help prevent bumping in. I lowered the shifter one tooth (I have done this on most of my bikes as my preference).

Also notice how smooth this thing is. It will idle along in 1st gear with no throttle input. My 450X woulda bucked, coughed, and barked as it stalled if you tried that and it was geared down.

I then head out for a forest tour  with a buddy, forks feel awesome, shock feels awesome, nimble, but the thing that stood out was the ability to tractor it up some nasty loose rock hills. The buddy I am with is on a 05' CRF450R and he stalls it on the first nasty hill with a rekluse, and I went right up it. The hill was one that half way you had to turn left, go 20 ft, then turn back up the hill. The front end of mine went where I put it, stuck, and rolled over stuff other bikes woulda have bucked me to the side. This was in the Costa Rica area for those that know the area. We went down another ugly hill and the brakes felt awesome, and we went back up the same hill and I made it smooth, methodical, and semi easy, a second time. No old school need to banzai it with momentum and hope! A KX125 then tried it with multiple stalls, mega revs, dirt flyin, etc and he finally gave up and came down. :-)

Friday afternoon the much better half had to take her son back to town to his dads so she went by the house and got the headlight for me. :-) While she was gone I did the first PM.

Couple of things....

I am not sure who the gorilla was that installed the drain plugs, but the trans was over tight but I was able to bust it loose with my ratchet. The engine one was another story. I ended up with a box- end wrench on it, WITH another one hooked on the open end for leverage, and still took most of my 6' 230 lb self to bust it loose.Luckily threads appear fine. Trans plug has some metal on it that appears normal to me (see pic).

One odd thing on refilling the trans and I will recheck, but the book says 750cc, but it starts running out of the fill level plug on the right side WAY before 750 cc. Anyone know whats right? I added some more too it due to my CRF experience on transmissions that a lil more was better than a lil less.

I THEN set the forks and shock to the factory settngs per the Beta manual. The forks were set at 12 clicks out on compression and I set them to 10 for the next ride. Rear shock was already at factory book settings so I left it aside from putting two clicks in the rear compression hi speed.

By now the GF gets back with the headlight plate and I install it. All is good except the low fuel light is always on. I have done ZERO diagnosis but the three connectors for the dash are all connected so I don't know if the sensor in the tank is not connected, or even there. Going to dive into that.

So other feedback-

I thought the muffler would be a pansy but ohh no...I love this thing. Purrs quietly if you want but has a damn nice bark to it when you want it. The GF even commented she knows when I am coming back to camp.

Had a group of four KTM lovers swing by and they all ended up taking turns on it. First thing two of them said was "Doesn't vibrate like mine". Also said, "So nice and narrow and compact int he seat/tank area"  "Power from start to finish"  "Plush and controllable"

The color and look got many compliments also...as I still say there is NO picture that does this thing justice.

I too love the power. There is NO "hit" that I can feel, just 100% manageable power whenever you want it. I don't know if its the weight, my head, or truth, but I can tell NO difference in power from my 450X to this bike. I can tell you it is soo much more predictable and manageable. I have no idea where the rev limiter is, and didn't try to find it due to break in time but it revs too the moon compared to what I am used to.

Minor negative that it smokes a bit until 100% warm, but 10W-50 oil is pretty thin and I will worry about it if it gets worse or doesn't clear up in a few more rides.

I never put it down thankfully but did head down a rock cliff/washed out/rock garden that I wanted to turn around but there was no way. Ended up ride/walk/hopping it down through with only a knick on the swingarm...but its a dirt bike...gonna happen!!

The Michelins felt pretty darn good for a DOT tire. I am kinda shocked at the leading edge wear given the soil we were on, but my observation. I think I will keep them until worn down to change and not worry about them yet.

The handles built into the rear seat got a lot of compliments too...and some use by me! :-)

I guess I cant post an attachment...gotta be a link...and I don't have my pics on a shared site yet...so time for easter breakfast with the GF!!!!

Greg

• Like 1

Great report, it sounds like you know your stuff. I've got a brother that lives across the street from Flower Mound High School and make it up there some. 

I found the Cycra Honda number plate works with the computer in place, but I got the newer year model and the color was wrong.

Glad to hear the engine was Beta smooth and made the hills easy, I had the same experience with the 480 there.

Same for me on the drain plugs. When I fill my oil I quit measuring and go by the sight glass and drain oil level hole alone. It goes down on mine when I start the bike so I have filled it, idled around doing some figure 8's and then add some more (twice). I run mine to the top of the sight glass and when you start it it goes empty. I have never noticed smoke at startup.

My Michelins got more wear at Red River than anywhere else due to the rocks and limestone ledges, although 25 hours later they still look almost new.

I have found the same response from pumpkin riders who have ridden mine. I made my decision mostly on the engine reputation for smooth power and no vibes and long life, it isn't easy to modify any of that aftermarket. I figured I could fix suspension issues but there have been none.

I fiddled with different shifter and brake pedal settings since I don't like to have to pick up my leg to use either and I'm sure you'll get comfortable with it if your not already.

Happy Easter and let's see some pics when you get a chance. I'm always up for more than just the bike photos, give us a little "facebook" version?

Edited by Johnny Depp

Nice bike.  I have the 2014 version with carb.  Overall great bikes.  The engine is it's best feature and the handling is great too.  Just keep an eye on the Zokes.  Sucks Beta cheaped out and don't include the FMF Power Bomb and Q4 Silencer on the Race 4T anymore.

Nice bike.  I have the 2014 version with carb.  Overall great bikes.  The engine is it's best feature and the handling is great too.  Just keep an eye on the Zokes.  Sucks Beta cheaped out and don't include the FMF Power Bomb and Q4 Silencer on the Race 4T anymore.

Can ya be specific on what ya mean by "keep an eye on them". I added Shock Sox to them...and so far feel good to me. I think once I add 10mm risers I will fiddle with the settings more. For now, I am just honest that they are fine for my riding ability. Once I get tuned into them I will see what I like.

My 450X had an ongoing issue that is hard to explain but almost seemed like a stiction issue. The VERY first 1/2" or 1" of travel always seemed harsh...the rest of the stroke was fine, but the first hit always seemed to sting a bit. Since the Zokes don't do that, I feel like I am in heaven!! :-)

Can ya be specific on what ya mean by "keep an eye on them". I added Shock Sox to them...and so far feel good to me. I think once I add 10mm risers I will fiddle with the settings more. For now, I am just honest that they are fine for my riding ability. Once I get tuned into them I will see what I like.

My 450X had an ongoing issue that is hard to explain but almost seemed like a stiction issue. The VERY first 1/2" or 1" of travel always seemed harsh...the rest of the stroke was fine, but the first hit always seemed to sting a bit. Since the Zokes don't do that, I feel like I am in heaven!! :-)

the first 1/2 "to inch  of travel  was sticking on your honda cause the forks have/had excessive fork leg" rock " when the tubes are at the top/full extension the there is no support .......tube inside of  larger tube 

IE:place your hands on top of each other elbows up/out have some push your elbow up ,it's very easy to push up =fork leg rocking in tube/ causing stiction

now grab your forearms close to elbows  not so easy to move = more support  this would be = to the bushings supporting the legs in the tube = less stiction  

The Marzocchis are set a touch tighter(less rock) and have better placed & bigger  bushings to help ease /lower the stiction and they also freeload the valving stack to "delay" that feeling  

I am thinking what kx290  is saying to keep your eyes on is any and all dlc coated forks like to leak, keep seals clean and free of debris and be sure to bleed air outta forks at the end of a ride 

As for the little metal  on the transmission plug that's normal it will be less each time , just be sure to use a good fluid NOT atf  like some guys say  Maxima  Motul and Bel Ray oils are designed for multi-plate clutches that get used and abused  boil & flash points are much higher hold up much better in the end for a few dollars more( i am not Mr.Scientist nor am i trying to re-invent the wheel  i just try to keep it rolling farther and faster !)

The smoke your seeing is normal till it warms up it's in open loop &  it's adding fuel just as a choke would do  till it gets up  to its target temp, then it switches to closed loop cuts back fuel and follows the fuel map  

Just wondering what your  special blend of fuel is ???? if your using some really high octane or aero fuel mixed with 91 that may be your smoke, We have seen many guys over the years waste money on race fuels and blending fuels but no gains other than excessive carbon build up cause its not  fully burning,Race fuels are great and big gains can be had but be sure to use what Vp or Outlaw or Sunoco recommends  for your app.

I use Uplon from Klotz in my fuel it helps lube the valves and keep top side of cylinder lubed a little ,modern  day fuels tend to dry out cylinders... there is no lead in pump gas so it helps cushion the valve to seat relationship seems to working well for me  

the first 1/2 "to inch  of travel  was sticking on your honda cause the forks have/had excessive fork leg" rock " when the tubes are at the top/full extension the there is no support .......tube inside of  larger tube 

IE:place your hands on top of each other elbows up/out have some push your elbow up ,it's very easy to push up =fork leg rocking in tube/ causing stiction

now grab your forearms close to elbows  not so easy to move = more support  this would be = to the bushings supporting the legs in the tube = less stiction  

The Marzocchis are set a touch tighter(less rock) and have better placed & bigger  bushings to help ease /lower the stiction and they also freeload the valving stack to "delay" that feeling  

I am thinking what kx290  is saying to keep your eyes on is any and all dlc coated forks like to leak, keep seals clean and free of debris and be sure to bleed air outta forks at the end of a ride 

As for the little metal  on the transmission plug that's normal it will be less each time , just be sure to use a good fluid NOT atf  like some guys say  Maxima  Motul and Bel Ray oils are designed for multi-plate clutches that get used and abused  boil & flash points are much higher hold up much better in the end for a few dollars more( i am not Mr.Scientist nor am i trying to re-invent the wheel  i just try to keep it rolling farther and faster !)

The smoke your seeing is normal till it warms up it's in open loop &  it's adding fuel just as a choke would do  till it gets up  to its target temp, then it switches to closed loop cuts back fuel and follows the fuel map  

Just wondering what your  special blend of fuel is ???? if your using some really high octane or aero fuel mixed with 91 that may be your smoke, We have seen many guys over the years waste money on race fuels and blending fuels but no gains other than excessive carbon build up cause its not  fully burning,Race fuels are great and big gains can be had but be sure to use what Vp or Outlaw or Sunoco recommends  for your app.

I use Uplon from Klotz in my fuel it helps lube the valves and keep top side of cylinder lubed a little ,modern  day fuels tend to dry out cylinders... there is no lead in pump gas so it helps cushion the valve to seat relationship seems to working well for me  

"Keep an eye on forks" is meant for (in my case) the coatings which wear and flake in very low hours. Many believe the bushing grooves are not correct creating many of these issues. If you have these forks plan on changing fluid every 15-20 hrs. and after 50 hrs. re-plate then repeat.

I have a bike with this same FI and no smoke on start-up. "Choke" an enricher cycle should not create any smoke unless the mapping is way way too rich which it isn't. Other FI bikes don't smoke either when the enricher knob is used. There are two reason a motor smokes on start-up. Reason for these can be as simple as the motor not broken in. If the motor still smokes on start-up after about 10 hrs. see your dealer.

Change oil often like every 10-15 hours.  Widebear and I both have had coating problems with Zokes and so have others.  The suggestion I've been given is to rotate the upper tubes after every ride by 90 degs.  That way one spot in the upper tube does not get the coating wearing off. It looks wrong because the stickers don't look pretty but it will give the pretty fork red anodizing more life internally. 

Better coverage on the lowers will full wrap guards is probably a good idea too. The lower tubes DLC coating is prone to pitting from front tire roost.  I believe newer KTM fork guards fit.  The decals wont fit right but the full wrap guards will save your DLC coating better.