&%$#@!ing Red Stickers ! ?

California

I haven't ridden dirt bikes in years, only street. I was talking with a friend who has a 2003 WR450. He loves the thing. I was glancing around Craigslist and found a 2004 Wr450. Seemed like a good price. My buddy went to look at the bike and put the money out till I paid him.

I've ridden the bike several times and also love the bike.

My problem is... It's got a RED STICKER.

If looked around on CL and see older ones and newer ones with GREEN STICKERS.

Why does the 2004 have a red sticker

03 & 04 WRs are Red Sticker.  Yamaha didn't bother to get them set up as Green Sticker till 05.  They had years to resolve this and chose not to.  The Red Sticker law was even delayed 4 years from 1998 to 2002...  but still Yami didn't bother till 05.  

Look before you leap next time brah. 

Yeah it sucks but I you look around there is still lots of places that allow red sticker year round.

Painful lesson.

Painful lesson.

Ya just get it plated and u won't have to worry about it.. Edited by d_IEzert

03 & 04 WRs are Red Sticker.  Yamaha didn't bother to get them set up as Green Sticker till 05.  They had years to resolve this and chose not to.  The Red Sticker law was even delayed 4 years from 1998 to 2002...  but still Yami didn't bother till 05.  

Actually, they were released as green sticker bikes in late 2003. 

I had a 2003 and 2004, both green sticker, and I plated the '04.

Not how I remember it... and I did fact check myself before posting. OP also just bought a Red Sticker 04. You are a knowledgeable guy so I'm certainly willing to be wrong with more data.   :excuseme:

I would think that the WR`s would be green stickered bikes, because they came with all the smog stuff on them.

From what I recall, I think just 1 model year got the red sticker.

03 & 04 wr450f's are red sticker in california

03, 04, AND 05 wr250f's are red sticker in california

I just recently got a 04 wr250f and it's also red sticker. i ride in the el dorado national forest. its ok to ride a red sticker bike all year here.

03 & 04 wr450f's are red sticker in california

03, 04, AND 05 wr250f's are red sticker in california

I redoubled my fact checking...  Lolly is dead on.  Can't explain Bills recollections unless he's just April fooling with us...  but several owners on several websites claim red sticker status for those years...  discussions on Dirt Rider and Motorcycle USA and direct quotes from Yamaha in those articles support the years Lolly posted.

Standing by my original statement... Yamaha dropped the ball when others did not.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/277/978/Motorcycle-Article/2005-Yamaha-WR450F-WR250F.aspx

Edited by Meat Loaf

Just buy a KTM.

Not that I would ever KNOWING break the law but say my buddy lost his green sticker and applied for another.

What would be the chances the rangers would find it say...... if it were on my bike?

You would be better off being caught with no sticker or red sticker compared to another persons sticker. That becomes fraud, ignorance will not bail you out. Not to mention that your buddy would also have some explaining to do since it is his sticker.

Edited by .:LOLLY:.

You would be better off being caught with no sticker or red sticker compared to another persons sticker. That becomes fraud, ignorance will not bail you out. Not to mention that your buddy would also have some explaining to do since it is his sticker.

True !

Anyone know what the fines are?

20-25  years ago I used to ride at Hungry Valley. Back then, you hardly ever seen a ranger let alone get checked for the registration.

Do the rangers do that now? 

I've read and heard that it all depends on what mood the ranger is in. No one ever elaborated though. I see the rangers quite often when I ride. 

The good thing is that it is still red sticker season. Just ride it and keep an eye out for a green sticker version of your current bike.