Sign in to follow this  

Help... can I be in trouble?

So I just sold my bike last week.

It was a 1986 Honda XR250R

I fully rebuilt it, spent 2 years making it a beautiful custom bike. Someone offered me 1500 (way to much) so I took the deal.... drove to the border of Illinois and Wisconsin (we met in the middle) to trade cash for the bike. It ran beautiful and was complete with all lights for the street. It just didn't have a title but he said he might get one...

When I got there he tested the bike and then said "I've never ridden a bike before" I could tell because he didn't use the clutch once! He started it reved and shifted to first and second and third then killed the bike because he down shifted and stopped and the same time.... :( he was killing that old bike already.

The next day he calls me and says "dude, I was riding all morning through the mud and it was awesome and running great then just stopped, it won't kick or turn over" then he takes it to a shop and he blew the engine.. I spent 2 years on it and he blew the engine!!! I told him to check the oil since I had to lay the bike down on the trailer. Idk if he did...

He didn't want a bill of sale so I said ok. It didn't have a title. He doesn't know my full name. He doesn't know where I live. All he knows is my phone number which he keeps calling and texting... about to block him. I'm just nervous, can he sue me or anything? 4 people were present and saw it running beautiful and rode fine and sold as is. I honestly feel terrible and didn't want to do this to anyone but I just need some comfort here guys... lol

Thanks if anyone can help :)

He could try to sue you, but he wouldn't stand a chance at winning. He bought a used bike "as is." In other words, don't sweat it. You have no obligation to the buyer. Hopefully, this experience will help him learn how to ride and maintain a bike. 

• Like 4

So I just sold my bike last week.

It was a 1986 Honda XR250R

I fully rebuilt it, spent 2 years making it a beautiful custom bike. Someone offered me 1500 (way to much) so I took the deal.... drove to the border of Illinois and Wisconsin (we met in the middle) to trade cash for the bike. It ran beautiful and was complete with all lights for the street. It just didn't have a title but he said he might get one...

When I got there he tested the bike and then said "I've never ridden a bike before" I could tell because he didn't use the clutch once! He started it reved and shifted to first and second and third then killed the bike because he down shifted and stopped and the same time.... :( he was killing that old bike already.

The next day he calls me and says "dude, I was riding all morning through the mud and it was awesome and running great then just stopped, it won't kick or turn over" then he takes it to a shop and he blew the engine.. I spent 2 years on it and he blew the engine!!! I told him to check the oil since I had to lay the bike down on the trailer. Idk if he did...

He didn't want a bill of sale so I said ok. It didn't have a title. He doesn't know my full name. He doesn't know where I live. All he knows is my phone number which he keeps calling and texting... about to block him. I'm just nervous, can he sue me or anything? 4 people were present and saw it running beautiful and rode fine and sold as is. I honestly feel terrible and didn't want to do this to anyone but I just need some comfort here guys... lol

Thanks if anyone can help :)

I would CALL him and say that it's his fault, because of his inexperience he blew the motor.  The conversation will be uncomfortable, but whenever he starts in saying, "You just sold me the bike and it blew!!" etc etc, you must redirect him to the problem.. not the bike, but his actions which destroyed the bike.  After that conversation, ignore him/block him. 

There's no paper trail to tie you to the bike, so your hands are washed of it.  This is on him.

I answered the call the first time when he said he rode it all morning. I told him very firmly I had no idea what could have happened. I told him I've put maybe 5 miles on since the rebuild and to take it easy for a bit... I asked him why he took it in the mud and he said "it's a dirt bike". Which I then explained it wasn't supposed to be beaten that hard with dual sport tires 60 on road 40 off. He was pissed... that was before taking it to the shop. Now he won't stop calling.

I feel bad for him that he wasted that money and also bad for the bike because I put so much time and effort into it :p lol but you guys are right .. he learned the hard way lol I've been there too :)

He can chalk this up to a learning experience.  You've already talked to him about it, let it be.

I wouldn't feel good about the situation either, and I'd feel bad for the guy but not guilty at all.  It sucks, but it's on him.... imagine TTalkers being the fingers, he's the guy being pointed at..

guilt.jpg?1349904434

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

There's no warranty offered or implied when someone buys used. Don't sweat it and block the idiot. If need be change your number. When you sell stuff occasionally you'll run into this situation. It's not worth losing any sleep over.

Whenever I sell a vehicle I usually do a bill of sale and right clearly on it, "Sold as is".  Laws from state to state are different.

• Like 3

Thanks guys! I just talked with him and he agreed it was sold as is but he wanted all his money back haha. He shot a hole through the piston. He Is trying to blame me that the timing was off, I put a new timing chain in but I checked it then had a dirt bike (honda certified) shop check it and they cleared it to be good. he shot a hole through the brand new piston and broke the entire top end which was new... poor guy.

But thanks everyone :) I feel much better and I have blocked him

I need the A - team to get my expensive stuff off that bike xD I want all my wiring and lights back since he's not making it street legal for my new bike! Haha o well, ya win some you lose some ;)

Kind of a bum deal for the buyer he didn't bust a hole in piston by driving it through the mud.

But, that's a risk you take when you buy some rebuilt stuff with no hours on it, tough lesson.

I wouldn't sell a bike to a guy who had never ridden before.

You have a right to deny sale to whoever you choose, it is your bike. Somebody who never rode a bike, didn't use the clutch ect. I wouldn't sell a bike to.

Specifically for the reason you described

He's never ridden a bike before and probably isn't too mechanically savey with them either, yet he knows you set the timing wrong.

He's never ridden a bike before and probably isn't too mechanically savey with them either, yet he knows you set the timing wrong.

Possibly repeating what the shop told him?

• Like 1

If... the cam timing was off, the bike would of run poorly/been hard to start.

I've seen many tools get a bike, pin it and rev the crap out of it in neutral, then with no clutch, slam it into gear then cry about 'the cheap bike just broke when I eased it into gear...'.

When a private seller sells, unless stated otherwise, there is no warranty. A buyer should know this and realize that part of the good deal he is getting is just because of no warranty. It behoves the buyer to check over what ever they are buying and that it is serviceable. A sellers ethical responsibility is to mention all known defects.

I see the seller did nothing wrong here and should move on.

I wouldn't sell a bike to a guy who had never ridden before.

You have a right to deny sale to whoever you choose, it is your bike. Somebody who never rode a bike, didn't use the clutch ect. I wouldn't sell a bike to.

Specifically for the reason you described

It was an xr250 not a CR500. It's a learners bike. You'd be missing out on a lot of sales and that bike would be stuck in your garage for awhile if you didn't sell to a beginner. ;)

Edited by BoxcarWilly
  • Like 1

It was an xr250 not a CR500. It's a learners bike. You'd be missing out on a lot of sales and that bike would be stuck in your garage for awhile if you didn't sell to a beginner. ;)

Granted, but if they had an inability to grasp basic concepts and a clear ignorance to learning it I would be keeping the bike

I'd be willing to bet he hydro locked the thing while he was "riding all morning through the mud"

• Like 1