Sign in to follow this  

What to look for in a used bike

I just recently bought a 02 yz250 and so far I have picked out the little things like fork seals need to be replaced front brakes are a little messed up is there anything els to look at?

I just recently bought a 02 yz250 and so far I have picked out the little things like fork seals need to be replaced front brakes are a little messed up is there anything els to look at?

Linkage and swing arm bearings, head stem and top end are the big ones. Jacked up bearings in the head stem and linkage bring the suck. A loose bottom end may blow out the cost of the bargain bike.

Linkage and swing arm bearings, head stem and top end are the big ones. Jacked up bearings in the head stem and linkage bring the suck. A loose bottom end may blow out the cost of the bargain bike.

I know the engine is in good condition because it was rebuilt top and bottom in the shop have receipts so that good

I know the engine is in good condition because it was rebuilt top and bottom in the shop have receipts so that good

If you trust the work of the shop, give the chassis a looking over then and start ripping then :thumbsup:

With the bike on a lift stand, check the wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, linkage/shock bearings, steering head bearings.  I check those every ride, just for good measure.  Because if you ride two times with slightly worn clacky wheel bearings, you'll ruin the hub. 

Grease linkage, remove wheels and grease spacers/axles, grease steering head bearings, comb over the bike and make sure things are tight.  Put lock tite on exhaust mounts and bolts.

I'd also change the oil. Then BRAAAP!

Edited by LovingOffroadPain
  • Like 1

Always check the air filter for correct instalation and service make sure the bike has not been sucking dirt.look at the oil drain plugs if it's leaking it probably stripped if not loosen and re torque. tell them you want to see the bike started cold and look for hard starting and smoke. And any other half assed repairs. And non oem hardware is a pet peve of mine

I always pull the bike apart and check all the bearings. Swing arm, linkage and shock bearings are usually the first to go. The swing arm bolt is one that most people never pull and it likes to seize up if it's dry. Check oil and filter and then work you way through the rest in between riding trips.