Sign in to follow this  

TTR 225 Low end sputter issues

Hey TTR riders!

I'm having issues with my '00 225. I've searched the forum hi and low and haven't found help, so hoping I can get some.

I have gone thru the carb a couple times and even tried changing the jets up 1 step and adjusting the fuel/air screw.

Here's what it does. Off idle is fine, give is gas slowly and its ok. If you gas it, say medium/low it sputters and will barely go and if you do this on the trail it will die sometimes and be hard to start (taking 10 to 20 seconds to start). It runs really crumby on the trails because your riding in this off idle situation. As soon as you get about a quarter throttle it runs fantastic. Unfortunately, when I'm riding with my kids that's not fun.

Any ideas? Seen this before?

Thanks!

It ran the same before I changed the jets. Jets didn't seem to affect anything. I haven't opened the box up yet but I did run it with the door off around the house after I changed the jets.

Thanks for the reply!

My dad's '04 225 did the same thing

I would check for vacuum leaks where the carb meets the head and check the diaphragm. (I think those bikes have CV carbs)

My dad just pulled his apart, put it back together and it's ran great since. (He does have an FMF slip on and jet kit)

Good luck with your yam

Hey TTR riders!

I'm having issues with my '00 225. I've searched the forum hi and low and haven't found help, so hoping I can get some.

I have gone thru the carb a couple times and even tried changing the jets up 1 step and adjusting the fuel/air screw.

Here's what it does. Off idle is fine, give is gas slowly and its ok. If you gas it, say medium/low it sputters and will barely go and if you do this on the trail it will die sometimes and be hard to start (taking 10 to 20 seconds to start). It runs really crumby on the trails because your riding in this off idle situation. As soon as you get about a quarter throttle it runs fantastic. Unfortunately, when I'm riding with my kids that's not fun.

Any ideas? Seen this before?

Thanks!

Sounds like it is very rich in the midrange.  This can be caused by a worn needle, worn (ovaled) needle jet, or a needle that is up too high.  We had an XR250 that did the same thing and the cause was a worn needle jet.  Also be sure to check float level but as your bike runs okayon the bottom and on the top is is likely not the cause.

Edited by VortecCPI