Rudnick07

Xl250r valve clearance?

11 posts in this topic

I have a 1987 Honda xl250r that was ticking pretty bad. I adjusted the valves last night and it still is ticking today. I read on another thread to set the intake at 0.05mm and exhaust at 0.08mm cold. That's what I set them at lastnight and it's still ticking today. Anybody have any different numbers for this model and has anyone else had this issue?

Expect burnt valves running them that tight.  Those clearances were to meet smog.  The valves won't tick at .004" & .005".  Something else is wrong. 

Are you saying set the intake at 0.004" and exhaust at 0.005"?

Yes, but BR is talking "inches", not mm. You're talking mm, so you'll need to convert.

Ya I seen that thanks for the heads up tho. My feeler gauge has both inches and mm but the first thread I read was going by mm so that's why I started there.

Sorry to resurrect this thing...but I noticed today while adjusting valves that TDC would not hold by itself. If I let the crank go, it would roll back (clockwise looking at the motor) a bit, probably like 1/2". Does this indicate a problem I should be concerned with? I had my son hold TDC while I did the adjustments...which after reading this thread I think I'll redo to .005" vs the specs. 

Thanks.

Use a ratchet and socket, use your hand as a brake hold on the socket to prevent it from rotating past TDC, then leave the ratchet and socket on it pointed rearward, switch it to clockwise and let the weight of it hold TDC there.

If you remove the spark plug, that will help mitigate the tendency to want to rotate past TDC too.

Nothing wrong with the engine. Just nature of the beast.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

Use a ratchet and socket, use your hand as a brake hold on the socket to prevent it from rotating past TDC, then leave the ratchet and socket on it pointed rearward, switch it to clockwise and let the weight of it hold TDC there.

If you remove the spark plug, that will help mitigate the tendency to want to rotate past TDC too.

Nothing wrong with the engine. Just nature of the beast.

Much appreciated. I like the counter weight idea. 

Thanks.