Northern Section of ID's Centennial Trail

I've got this thread going over on ADVRider, but I'm thinking it might get more action over here. It's fun to read the progress I've made on re-opening this forgotten trail over the last couple of years that runs along the ID/MT border from Thompson Pass, near Murray, ID.

If anyone would be interested in tackling this 37-mile trail with me this summer, just let me know. Or feel free to hit it up on your own. Just take a good GPS or map app, because it can be really hard to follow in spots. It usually is open enough to get through in late July, but it should be earlier this year.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822560

• Like 1

Man! I'd really like to help you out on this one. Some buddies and I used to ride that trail every year. We'd start around Trout Creek, MT and ride over Black Peak, and down into the Murray side. My favorite parts are that super narrow stretch before you get to Black Peak, and also the climb up through the tallus to the top of the peak. On that narrow section you still might be able to see a black stain on a rock where my buddy lost the crankcase oil when he got to looing downhill instead of way out in front of the bike. Haha! Unfortunately I'm stuck living in the Denver area currently, but hope to get up there this summer and do some riding.

Bob

Man! I'd really like to help you out on this one. Some buddies and I used to ride that trail every year. We'd start around Trout Creek, MT and ride over Black Peak, and down into the Murray side. My favorite parts are that super narrow stretch before you get to Black Peak, and also the climb up through the tallus to the top of the peak. On that narrow section you still might be able to see a black stain on a rock where my buddy lost the crankcase oil when he got to looing downhill instead of way out in front of the bike. Haha! Unfortunately I'm stuck living in the Denver area currently, but hope to get up there this summer and do some riding.

Bob

Awesome. You are the first person I've come across who's actually been on that trail and can vouch for its allure. Did you come up on Trout Creek Loop, #774 (in red on the map below), or up Black Peak Trail (in green)? I've been wanting to go down that Black Peak Trail, but I have yet to see it not covered in snow. (It branches off to the left at the beginning of the video below. You can see the piles of snow, and that was in August.) The section of Trout Creek Loop that is in red is closed to motorized use now.

Let me know when you are back in the area!!

The Cen. Trail is in blue.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-08%20at%2010.26.

• Like 2

I have ridden from Thompson to Murray, twice. Both times led by a good friend who is from Thompson originally, could not say for sure that we took the trail you are speaking of - if I remember correctly part of the trail led us by Blossom Lakes? I will have to ask him and perhaps have him look at this thread.

I have ridden from Thompson to Murray, twice. Both times led by a good friend who is from Thompson originally, could not say for sure that we took the trail you are speaking of - if I remember correctly part of the trail led us by Blossom Lakes? I will have to ask him and perhaps have him look at this thread.

Thompson Falls to Murray is paved, and if you were near Blossom Lakes, you must have been on the south side of the road. The section I am working on of the Centennial Trail (#7) is from Thompson Pass to the north.

I've heard several accounts of riders from "back-in-the-day" talk about how they used to ride the (hike-only now) trails that lead into Blossom Lakes. That must've been awesome. I've hiked it, and it wasn't an easy hike.

View of Montana and Blossom Lakes from the south side of trail #7, heading north from Burke:

Screenshot2013-10-23at100430AM_zpse763be

I have attempted riding out in this area several times years ago.  I would head up 133 then hit trail 7 and headed north.  I made it to the Blossom lakes but couldn't get down to Thompson Pass as it just seemed to gnarly.  Black Peak is a ways further north.  It looks awesome.  Thanks for getting out there and doing this!

I have attempted riding out in this area several times years ago.  I would head up 133 then hit trail 7 and headed north.  I made it to the Blossom lakes but couldn't get down to Thompson Pass as it just seemed to gnarly.  Black Peak is a ways further north.  It looks awesome.  Thanks for getting out there and doing this!

Yeah, it is pretty rough down there in that section. Not that the rest of it isn't rough...  ?

Did you make it up to Granite Peak? The trail map actually shows the trail going up and over Granite, but I have found no trace of the northern side of the trail. The trail just ends at the top. That's on my list of trails to inspect, and possibly "re-open".  I want to look around at the bottom end of it, maybe there is a trace of it down there.

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-08%20at%201.47.2

Atop Granite: The NW's largest cairns? 

IMG_1231_zpsb44c6776.jpg

I remember spending considerable time looking for the trail to the top of Granite and either couldn't find it or ride it.  I was up there riding by myself.  I ended up heading out west on trail 137 then all the way back to the fish farm near mullan pass.  Kudos to you for making it to the top of Granite.  Looking at aerial imagery, I don't see any evidence of a trail heading north, though it is on the maps.  I'd hate to head down that thing and then have to turn around and come back up.

... Looking at aerial imagery, I don't see any evidence of a trail heading north, though it is on the maps.

I'm thinking that if it is (or ever was) there, it probably bypassed the summit and rock fields and wrapped around the west side of the mountain. As I'm sure you are aware, many of the trails are drawn from point A to point B, but the actual trail is far from straight.

Thompson Falls to Murray is paved, and if you were near Blossom Lakes, you must have been on the south side of the road. The section I am working on of the Centennial Trail (#7) is from Thompson Pass to the north.

I've heard several accounts of riders from "back-in-the-day" talk about how they used to ride the (hike-only now) trails that lead into Blossom Lakes. That must've been awesome. I've hiked it, and it wasn't an easy hike.

View of Montana and Blossom Lakes from the south side of trail #7, heading north from Burke:

Screenshot2013-10-23at100430AM_zpse763be

Right we were on the South side of the Thompson Pass road (which we drive all the time when going to the coast), I have a text to my friend as the name of the main trail escapes me. He has some old, like 1937, travel maps and you have to explore to connect some of it, we came out on a road just a little West of Murray and went into town for lunch.

• Like 1

Awesome video man! That's pretty much exactly how I remember it! We rode up from Trout Creek via trail 763. Not sure if it is on that same trail, but I remember somewhere there was a natural spring with a pipe that brought water into a wooden whiskey barrel. It's been quite a while since I've been up there, so I'm kind of fuzzy if that's where the barrel was. Looking forward to getting up there this season and riding. If it works out to be the same time I'm up there, I'd sure like to help saw that trail open with you guys.

Thanks,

Bob

Awesome video man! That's pretty much exactly how I remember it! We rode up from Trout Creek via trail 763. Not sure if it is on that same trail, but I remember somewhere there was a natural spring with a pipe that brought water into a wooden whiskey barrel. It's been quite a while since I've been up there, so I'm kind of fuzzy if that's where the barrel was. Looking forward to getting up there this season and riding. If it works out to be the same time I'm up there, I'd sure like to help saw that trail open with you guys.

Thanks,

Bob

I had to check a different map to find the number, but 763 is the Black Peak Trail (in green on that map). I WILL ride that this year!! That's been on my radar for quite some time. Like I said, lemme know when you are in the area, I'll make time to get out there. I usually start clearing (what I can get to) up there in late June. 

The Montana side I was talking about is CC divide trail or state trail 404. I will show my friend this thread, he probably has maps covering the trails you are talking about. I do know he has talked about some trails on the North side which were closed to motorized - just not sure where they went.

The Montana side I was talking about is CC divide trail or state trail 404. I will show my friend this thread, he probably has maps covering the trails you are talking about. I do know he has talked about some trails on the North side which were closed to motorized - just not sure where they went.

That's the trail I thought it was. It's a hike-only trail now and has been for at least the last 10 years.  :( It must've been quite a ride though!! I have pics from our hike on that trail somewhere. How long ago did you ride it?

Check this out. I found a map from around the turn of the century when there was a road partially back to the lakes!

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-09%20at%204.02.5

Edited by ITLKSEZ

• 1 month later...

I'm planning on heading up to clear some trail on June 20th as a Father's Day present to myself. If anyone wants to tag along, feel free!

Riding difficulty and exposure are probably around an 8+/10. Bring a strong back and a saw if you have the means.

The plan is to head up the CDA River Rd past Prichard and park somewhere up Shoshone Creek Rd. We'll then ride about 20 miles of FS road up to Porcupine Pass on bike.The main goal of the day is to clear the path from the pass up to Eighty Peak/Idaho Point. 

If time (and energy) permits, I'd like to head south from the pass too. This is by far the most clogged up section of trail. I want to see if I can find the trail from the Porcupine Pass side, because it has to be easier to find than it is coming from the other side.

I'm an early rider, and would like to be unloaded by at least 5am. :D We could meet at the Post Falls I-90 rest area at 3:30 if it would make it easier. 

You have 9 bikes in your signature....none of them run? Pop a front wheel on that timbersled and you'll rule the hillclimbs.

The XR200 and the PW's run, all the others are in need of something except maybe the CR250.  I haven't even put fuel in that one yet.  Too many bikes, too little time and too many other projects!

• 2 weeks later...