300 2 stroke or 500 thumper?

Wow, I come back from a great weekend and there are tons more recommendations, thank you!  I spent the weekend getting my son adjusted to his new 150 XC.  My best friend has a piece of property that is perfect for teaching kids how to ride thru trees, ruts, obstacles, etc.  Small piece of property but awesome for teaching...  Anyway, spent the weekend on that 150 XC and everyone there wanted to do nothing but ride that bike.  So powerful for a small bike yet so much power in a crazy-light package.  I haven't bought yet but the 300 is the way I am going.  I gotta try it.  Especially after this past weekend and all the comments on here.  Worst case scenario, the bike has incredible resale value.  If I don't like it for some reason, there will be someone that will...  I can't imagine not liking that bike though.  Comments here have been very helpful, thank you!  Buying new is looking like I'll have to wait for a '16.  I am sure there are a few '15's left but the dealer told me the '16's should start rolling in in August.  It'll be dusty till then anyway...

Thanks again, folks!

• Like 1

The 300 has a lot of room for performance mods and you can make it a serious hot rod for the price of a 4 stroke exhaust. The 300s stock are a slow low end motor, but that can be easily changed.

Exactly right. So many people will ride a 300 and say the motor wasn't great because of whatever, and then assume they know what all 300s are like. But they are not all the same. Jetting and head setup makes a massive difference to the spread of power.

When 2 strokes come out with DFI, then I expect it'll allow a riders who cannot self jet a carbed bike to find out what 300cc 2 strokes are capable of.

I'm about 250 geared up and have been riding 450s for the last 15 years, but just got a 250 XC-W and love it!  It has the Rekluse auto clutch which eliminates the bog and gets you to the power no matter what.  It has a little less low end than the 300, but a stronger top end.  I was surprised in some drags with 450s I was only loosing about a bike length!  And it is like I was swinging 3 bats, it feels so light!  ?

I have had the same debate for awhile. I actually just sold my 2012 450xcw today so I'm ready for something new. I had a CRF450R and loved the power but I was not thrilled with the power of the xcw. I really want to try the 300 now. I'm looking for some snap

A little work on the 300 and it will blow your mind.  I came from desert racing CR500s into the KTM world and I love them.   I have an '07 300 XC-W that has been modified in some simple and inexpensive ways, the red exhaust valve spring, head milled .035", thinnest base gasket, Pro Circuit pipe.  Not only is the the best trail bike I've ever ridden, it has so much power on top that I have yet to lose a drag race with any other bike, including 450s and even a couple of CR500s.  It is a Jekyll and Hyde machine, so poised and well mannered when needed then the claws come out and things get violent.  This dual personality makes for such incredible flexibility that there are no off-road conditions in which the bike is ever out of it's element.

• Like 3

I had 2012 yz450 woods converted and was still way too much power for me. Went to 2011 wr450, handled great but valved a little soft, and felt like a tank. I'm riding a 2014 xcw 250 and love it. My buddy has identical 300. It has more power down low never need to clutch it, just twist and go. Mine I need to grab a little clutch to get that instant power. I don't think you would be disappointed at all in the 300 power compared to your wr and you'll feel like your riding a mountain bike, its amazing the difference in weight and the feeling of being flick able.

• Like 1

That 300 is as sweet as it gets. You can ride it like a 4 stroke w/o the worry of flame out. Got rid of my 300xcw for a 450xcf. The 450 is an absolute monster as far as pure power but it's way, way too much for the woods. The 300 was perfect.

Can you still run pump gas with that setup?

Yes, because I live at 5000' and I went to a cooler plug.  I would recommend only doing .025" on the head unless you live up in the thin air.  I did a squish measurement before I cut the head, I ended up with .025" clearance after the mods, that is the safest way to make sure you don't go overboard.

Edited by Lehiguy
  • Like 1

I also just bought a 15 300xcw

I too have had everything under the sun.

Red green blue hello orange harley this crotch rocket that

In nearly 25 years of bikes, this is the nicest bike i have ever owned. I just got back from the garage after giving it a pet on the head  :goofy:

Get a 300! Then get to your local suspension shop and get it set up right and never look back!

• Like 1

I'm about 250 geared up and have been riding 450s for the last 15 years, but just got a 250 XC-W and love it! It has the Rekluse auto clutch which eliminates the bog and gets you to the power no matter what. It has a little less low end than the 300, but a stronger top end. I was surprised in some drags with 450s I was only loosing about a bike length! And it is like I was swinging 3 bats, it feels so light! ?

Shouldnt have any bog on a 2t, may need to check your jetting or compression.

I hade the same debate with myself! 450 or 300,

I went with 300 & sooooo glad I did! It's amazing!!!!

If I were to just ride MX or desert Probly the 450, but that's not what I ride ! Although I can't wait to get my 300 on Mx track. Lol