California Input.... on bike choice for my grandson

Some of you all know I got my grandson into riding recently.  in the last year and a half he has improved greatly.  He's really confident on the bike and we can ride any trail in hungry valley. rides the desert, and such. 

Now, it looks like he has pretty much out grown his klx 110l. sitting on that thing, his knees are pretty much up to his ears.  ok, not quite. but he is growing.  

I had him take my old crf250X for a spin a few times.  He can touch the ground with one foot and a toe.  but I could see that the weight could be an issue if he gets off camber and such.

So I'm thinking of getting him a bike that could last a year or two to step him up before jumping directly to the 250x.  or do I just tell him to suck it up and get his ass on the 250x. sink or swim. the rate he's growing, he may be big enough to easily handle the 250 by winter.

I'm not sure what would be best.  and will surf craigs list and cycle trader for the right deal.

so..  it has to be green sticker. don't want to be limited on where to ride when we can get out.  i'm thinking it needs a kick starter or both e start and kicker. hate to be out if battery dies, or is that a non worry-able thingie. they should be able to bump in that case though. 

some bikes I'm thinking of ...  any input as to good, bad, ugly, etc......

crf150r 2002 or earlier 

xr 200 2002 or earlier

yz 125 2002 or earlier

cr 125 2002 or earlier

crf150f 2005 or earlier for the kick starter 

crf230f

ttr 225

Right now, I'm just window shopping.  but with the input from you good folks, what should we look for?

CalCityEaster2015 (8).JPG

CalCityEaster2015 (71).JPG

CalCityEaster2015 (68).JPG

CalCityEaster2015 (66).JPG

CalCityEaster2015 (237).JPG

CalCityEaster2015 (4).JPG

I am in a similar boat with my wife...she can't really touch on the crf250x, but the crf230 weighs just as much, and the ttr isn't really any better than the crf230....I say, it will cost less to do proper lowering on the crf250 than it will to buy another bike, but I am hiding behind that to give my wife the crf, and get me a new one :devil:

but, there is always the KLX140 (L?) big wheel....it's kinda the best of both worlds (small bike, big wheels)

if you think he is really close to touching on the crf, I cut the sub frame on mine to drop the seat one inch and lose no suspension...I also sat the forks in a bit, but you can't go far on them...but the kit for cutting the frame is cheap, and looks fine installed

Edited by bobsled
  • Like 1

Hey Ron, good to see you back out on the bike.

As far as the TTR225 and the CRF 230, there both gonna come in fairly close to the 250lbs of your 250X.

You'll have to answer the question if he can/wants to deal with a "pipey" smaller 2T. Kinda depends on how aggressive he is.

I don't know, he seemed liked a good fit on your 250X and you already have it. But maybe having him on a more aggressive 2T for a period of time might help with becoming more aggressive, if he isn't already. I prolly would stay away from the 225/230, not a big enough weight savings.

Fun times ahead :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I bought my wife the 250x with Kuba lowering link and rekluse.  She never rode it.  15 months later I bought her a stock 230 and she rides it 3 to 4 days a week after work and on days off.  

Yes it weighs about the same.  But the weight is lower to the ground...  less felt weight...  and she can almost flat foot it.  I didn't listen to the other guys when I bought the 250x.  I should have.

BTW - I had her hop on the 250x after she had gained her confidence on the 230.  She still hated it.  

But on the flip side...  your grandson is clearly a good and growing rider.  Maybe if you have a professional lowering job done on your 250x temporarily...  maybe that would save money in the long haul.  :excuseme:

Yolanda is 5'4" next to her 230.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=416.0;at

Edited by Meat Loaf
  • Like 3

He's 5' 4"..  I'm thinking about 90 pounds or so. He's a bean pole.   turned 13 last Nov. he's eating like a garbage disposal and growing fast. 

a 2t may be fun.  but not sure how he will like it.  or if I would like the hastle of fuel\oil mixing.  also, If he gets a 2t, I will need one too.  just to be fair.

oh yea.. I forgot about a 140l big wheel.  just that it looks like a small height difference compared to lets say a 150r.

When he sits on the 250x, one foot is flat and the other foot has a toe just barely touching.  He can take off and stop with no issues. just that it's heavy.  I laid it down and had him try to pick it up.  He was having real difficulty getting it up. 

His little sister will get the klx110l once Zack moves to the bigger bike.  Maybe I will get another seat, shave it down. take out the bar risers and such.  I raised that bike up high for my tall butt. and consider a lowering link or bring it up the street to esp to professionally lower it.

• Like 1

Grabbed a couple comparison shots... Lowered 250X vs stock 230F.

Bring him out to Stoddard some time and he can try them both out for size.

250x_230f_compare_02.jpg

250x_230f_compare_01.jpg

• Like 3

After the 85's(regular and big wheel) and before the 250's I put my kids on a older KTM 200 exc. They have pretty good low end and are reasonably light.  worked out well for us

DSCF1269-1.jpg

Edited by crfxer
  • Like 3

How about a kx100......its a good mid size bike and has a great tranny for the desert?

• Like 1

IMHO. . . B)

I would put him on a Honda CRF 250X. Smooth power, electric start and its a Honda.  Drop the fork legs and get a lowering link and possibly cut down the seat and you're at the height of a 230.

Plus for a young man its much cooler to be on a 250X than a 230F.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I vote CRF150.  Bigger than the 140 and will have all the power needed.  You should be able to pick one up now and sell it in a year for the same amount of money.

my 10yo out grew her 110 and I put her on a CRF80.  A year later she is ready for the 150.  I can get what I paid for the 80 no prob. 

You should be able to do the same with a 150.  then put him on the 250 after he gets his feet wet under a bike with some power and a clutch (crf150).

• Like 1

My vote is tell him to suck it up and ride the 250x. Its got everything you want and he'll grow right into it.

• Like 1

Hey Ron,

After watching Zack ride his 110 and then on the 250X, he likes and feels comfortable with the un-snappy throttle response (compared to the 2-stroke). When he rode Levi's ZY85 he was a bit unsure of the powerband and didn't get a chance to open it up. I taught a lot of kids to ride in the last 10 years. first and foremost, if they can't pick the bike up in a bad situation, it's the wrong bike. I know some will disagree, but keep this in mind, when a kid is on a track, there is many of adults within yards to help get him back on the bike. When we're at the desert, help could be 500' away and might as well be 1 mile. I too like the TTR series bikes, my twins started on the PW50's, then the TTR50's , then the TR110's. I was in the market for the TTR125's and neither of them could lift one up from the ground. So I had to make and exec decision and go 2-stroke. Damn glad I did. Also, not only height, weight, but can they kick start the bike. most e-start bikes have k-start for backup. but even my kids had a hard time k-starting their little bikes. but I forced them to learn how to k-start them as well. Most kids will try to k-start the bike while sitting on the seat. I showed most kids to pull the bike to a rock or ? to stand and get more push or even the old jump up and use body weight to push k-starter down. that one is diff bc they're usually afraid of falling over. just another temporary hurdle.

My opinion, the 230 series 4-stroke bikes for Zack, electric start, less snap and much more forgiving. But for weight, the 125 2-strokes. or, the CR150R is a pretty sweet bike, it's got the feel of a track bike but will also trail ride like a monster. that is a cool bike for it's weight and power. I think he'll like the 150R. You can get them in BIG wheel and small wheel options. The 150F is also a good bike for Zack and a little more forgiving. I'm pretty sure he'll be fully ready for the X in two years.  

That was a fun weekend at CC, thanks again the tour.     

• Like 2

I vote CRF150. Bigger than the 140 and will have all the power needed. You should be able to pick one up now and sell it in a year for the same amount of money.

my 10yo out grew her 110 and I put her on a CRF80. A year later she is ready for the 150. I can get what I paid for the 80 no prob.

You should be able to do the same with a 150. then put him on the 250 after he gets his feet wet under a bike with some power and a clutch (crf150).

Klx110Ls have a clutch.

Anyway all full size bikes are near the same size I would go CR 500. Anything less will get him made fun of. Bullying is a real problem for kids today.

• Like 3

The clutch on the 110l and slightly higher seat was the reason I got Zack that bike when he started.  

LOL. cr500.

I imagine in the future, he will be jumping on my ktm 530. showing me how to ride it.

Edited by msgtretired

we have an xr200 in the neighborhood...  OBVIOUSLY smaller seat height than a 230 or 250, still a lot of fun to putt on the goat trails... even has a plate!! great bike to have around for a noob adult...

the only reason I steered away from the crf150 (big wheel, or expert, or whatever it's called) was because it didn't have the 21/18 combo....the bigger tires really make a big difference when you get off the track and onto the trails.

I actually looked at putting 150r forks on a 230, and that was when I decided it was the best choice to just lower my 250x....since the 230 has no k-start to back up the e-start, and the 250x doesn't weigh any more than the 230