Arizona Phoenix / Arizona riding buddies

Don't know if any of you do any summer riding but I'm itching to get out there after a few years of not riding so I'm more than stoked. Just don't have anybody to ride with so if you're interested let me know. I'll be slow at first but sure I'll pick up where I left off very soon. Let me know!

Please I will let you know when we plan on going. Are you available to go extremely early in the morning on a weekday? Do you have a light?

Tomorrow, staging at lower sycamore around 545am-6am. 2 hr ride (single track/quad track/washes) then off to work. Shoot me a pm for my number if interested.

• Like 2

Rode in Flagstaff (Kelly Canyon) last Sunday.  Racing with AZOP in Star Valley this coming Saturday.  Plan to ride all summer at higher elevation where it is cooler.  

Racing with AZOP in Star Valley this coming Saturday.  Plan to ride all summer at higher elevation where it is cooler.  

Be sure to hydrate, supposed to be in the triple digits in the Payson area this weekend.

Be sure to hydrate, supposed to be in the triple digits in the Payson area this weekend.

I think it's supposed to be 99 that day and my race is at 12:30pm.  I can handle an hour though pretty easy.  I usually race AMRA and those races are tough no matter what the weather is.  AZOP is a cake walk.

I used to ride street bikes about 10 years ago. Recently picked up a dirt bike, man the style is so different, but I'm getting there. I'll be riding early morning throughout the summer if the temps are reasonable, or making a few trips up north. I'm out in E Mesa but willing to drive a bit to check out new trails.

Temps are at an all time high this whole damn week here in north Phoenix. I forget which track off the top of my head but I know they stay open until about 9:30 some nights. Never really hit the track before but wouldn't mind giving it a shot. If you guys wanna set something up for next weekend or whenever really I'm down to go whenever my bike is 100% good to go.

I used to ride street bikes about 10 years ago. Recently picked up a dirt bike, man the style is so different, but I'm getting there. I'll be riding early morning throughout the summer if the temps are reasonable, or making a few trips up north. I'm out in E Mesa but willing to drive a bit to check out new trails.

I'm in E. Mesa too.... lot's of riding not too far from us. 

Temps are at an all time high this whole damn week here in north Phoenix. I forget which track off the top of my head but I know they stay open until about 9:30 some nights. Never really hit the track before but wouldn't mind giving it a shot. If you guys wanna set something up for next weekend or whenever really I'm down to go whenever my bike is 100% good to go.

That would be fun. I'm not a track guy either but an early morning or late evening track ride could be fun. Bike won't be back together for another couple weeks... but keep me in mind. 

Edited by Kenpo1
  • Like 1

What trails would you guys recommend a reasonable distance from Chandler for a newbie to offload stuff? Been riding mostly street off and on since I could ride. Recently moved to AZ from NC and picked up an '02 KTM 300 EXC to try out offload riding. Looks like tons of options out here. My other ride is a '12 Yamaha Super Tenere. Just want to find somewhere relatively close for starters where I can actually ride the bike some and get used to it. So far, I've only been able to ride it around the block in my neighborhood. 

Bulldog canyon is a easy option. Jeep trail but still fun. Four peaks and butcher Jones also good areas with plenty of easy trails.

Bulldog canyon you will need a permit with the gate code but it's free.

• Like 1

Bulldog canyon is a easy option. Jeep trail but still fun. Four peaks and butcher Jones also good areas with plenty of easy trails.

Bulldog canyon you will need a permit with the gate code but it's free.

+1

Sycamore and Four Peaks have some easy stuff, but the place can be busy, and it takes a little more trail knowledge to pick easier jeep trails where you can practice without getting mowed down by a quad, utv etc. 

With Bulldog you may have to watch for 4x4's on the main jeep trail (1356) but it's not usually busy and you can get some good practice in. Each entrance offers something a little different (Blue Point / Usery /Wolverine / AA pit / Cotton wood) I personally stay away from Blue Point and Usery. I prefer to ride from Wolverine because it's 9 minutes from my house, but I will often ride from there to AA pit or Cotton wood. 

The main trail 1356 you can stage at Wolverine and ride to AA pit and back, just that alone would be a good practice ride for you, and there are several features along the way you could stop and play with (hill climbs etc). 

EDIT - Another note on Bulldog. The biggest issue you will run into at certain points of Bulldog are the horseback riders. They hate that we have access to the area and they are pretty entitled and crotchety. Also, there is a lot of stuff out at bulldog that is really fun to ride, but off limits. They do ticket out there and the horse folks and hikers love to call the trail cops if they see you wander from the listed trails. I'm saying don't ride a cool trail if you find one, I'm saying be discrete and aware of who else is out there. We wand to keep it open, and you don't want the ticket. Last guy I saw ticketed it was $250. 

When you apply for a gate code online, you will get an email with codes as well as marked trails, so don't be put off of riding out there, it's easy to stay where you're supposed to be. Just wanted to give you heads up. 

Edited by Kenpo1

What trails would you guys recommend a reasonable distance from Chandler for a newbie to offload stuff? Been riding mostly street off and on since I could ride. Recently moved to AZ from NC and picked up an '02 KTM 300 EXC to try out offload riding. Looks like tons of options out here. My other ride is a '12 Yamaha Super Tenere. Just want to find somewhere relatively close for starters where I can actually ride the bike some and get used to it. So far, I've only been able to ride it around the block in my neighborhood. 

Desert Wells off the 60 past Gold Canyon and Renaissance Fair just before SR 74 is easy to ride. Very flat terrain. You will need a AZ state trust land permit to ride and stage which you can get for $15 electronically from state trust land web site.

• Like 1

http://canyonmx.com/ is the track I think you are thinking of. We had planned to hit it up the last 2 Wednesdays but it was still a little warm. They are open Wed - Fri 6pm - 9pm I think then Sat & Sun for morning sessions. I'd be up for a night ride out there once it cools off. I also have to replace my inner clutch hub, which I'm not in too much of a hurry due to temps.

So far I've been out to Butcher Jones, Rolls, Desert Wells and Wild Cat. I do have the pass for Bulldog, just haven't gone yet.

Desert Wells off the 60 past Gold Canyon and Renaissance Fair just before SR 74 is easy to ride. Very flat terrain. You will need a AZ state trust land permit to ride and stage which you can get for $15 electronically from state trust land web site.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up!

I live in Chandler too. Let's go riding anytime

• Like 2