Sign in to follow this  

L4/L5 Microdiscectomy recovery time?

I'm on day 6 following a microdiscectomy to repair a herniated disc at L4/L5 and am hoping to get a ballpark timeline for recovery. They removed the herniation, a cyst and a small bone fragment they found poking my nerves. Before the herniation I was a very healthy 35 year old, 5'11" tall and 200 pounds. I worked out 5-6 days a week and have eaten healthy for years.

I'm taking 15-20 minute walks every couple of hours and plan on following my doctors' post-op instructions religiously. 

Can someone speak from experience how long it will take me to heal and strengthen enough to ride motocross at a recreational, novice level? Obviously spine compressive forces are felt throughout motocross so I want to be sure I won't reherniate.

Any tips on how to make recovery the most effective? Thanks.

Recovery from a lower lumbar discectomy is individually based. The need to go slowly until complete healing is very difficult for all of us who are otherwise healthy and active. Follow your docs orders, I think they let me start PT after 6 weeks. Realize that the further out you get without re-injury is hugely in your favor so don't re-injure it by going too fast. Markers that I know are 3 and 6 months with core strengthening a key component. Once your core is good, you can move to upper/lower body excercise. My neurosurgeon let me ride motos on a 3 week trip at 6 months but I had other issues with scoliosis. If there is another root cause for disc rupture like in my case, things can be different. There's a longer thread below here that has many other experiences, read it. And riding motocross? You certainly won't get any guarantees from medical providers.