Sign in to follow this  

Lowering Fork Oil Level Q

I want to pull about 10cc's of oil out of the forks. Is this the right way?

Remove fork tubes from bike. Remove air bleed screw from top of fork. Turn upside down and allow to drain.

I suppose that would work but it would be better to remove the fork cap, dump all the oil out and remeasure it. That way you know how much is in them.

Best to replace the oil after the suspension has broken in anyway.

• Like 1

Does dropping the oil level make the forks more likely to bottom but more plush for lighter rider?  I'm considering dropping my oil level 10-20cc.  I weigh 160lbs with gear and the forks are for 175lbs

I want to pull about 10cc's of oil out of the forks. Is this the right way?

Remove fork tubes from bike. Remove air bleed screw from top of fork. Turn upside down and allow to drain.

Yes. I actually use a similar size syringe as the bleed hole and "pull" 10cc or so of oil out...

Does dropping the oil level make the forks more likely to bottom but more plush for lighter rider? I'm considering dropping my oil level 10-20cc. I weigh 160lbs with gear and the forks are for 175lbs

I would give you the answer but I would prefer you try it and report back. It's good to learn something without having a biased knowledge of what it does...

Can I use a syringe on the bleed hole and pull the fluid out without taking the forks off and flipping them upside down?

Can I use a syringe on the bleed hole and pull the fluid out without taking the forks off and flipping them upside down?

Yup, but you'll need a long skinny tube to fit inside the bleed hole...

Tried this on my 2014 doesn't work. Pop the cartridge undo  on the bike make sure you loosen the top triple clamp bolts. Then use the small tube method with a syringe.

MM 

Tried this on my 2014 doesn't work. Pop the cartridge undo on the bike make sure you loosen the top triple clamp bolts. Then use the small tube method with a syringe.

MM

On a Yamaha? Works just fine if you flip them upside down...

• Like 1

On a Yamaha? Works just fine if you flip them upside down...

Correct.  You will probably need to compress the fork a bit as well.  I did it with the fork of the bike, upside down, by putting the edge of the cap on a piece of wood, with the hole hanging over the edge over a graduated cylinder.  It is a little hard to do alone but not too bad.    

Does dropping the oil level make the forks more likely to bottom but more plush for lighter rider?  I'm considering dropping my oil level 10-20cc.  I weigh 160lbs with gear and the forks are for 175lbs

right.  It will soften the last part of the stroke.  It will only affect the compression stroke by making the last 1/3 a bit softer.  It may allow you to use more stroke if you're not currently using all of it.  I'm 165 in gear and removed 25cc from each leg.  It helps alleviate mid-stroke harshness on hard braking.  IMO the fork still resists bottoming well.  

• Like 2