Sign in to follow this  

Crack in Drain Plug Hole! How do I fix it?

Well I've bought a new dirt bike (2008 RM85) well new to me but used otherwise... When I bought it I was told that it did leak transmission fluid slowly which is kind of an understatement, it's not a really quick leak, but its about a drop or 2 a minute depending on the engine temperature. Well after I had gotten it home I decided to take a further look at the leak which is in the drain plug/hole area. So I sprayed the drain plug area down with some carb cleaner to take off the gunk around it and there is a crack right in the side of the drain hole, apparently where some idiot has over tightened the drain plug or has stripped it out and put a tapered screw in to fix the stripped out threads (I'm not sure because I don't want to take the screw out until I am really ready to work on it). IMG_2071.JPG So now I need advice from you all on how to go about fixing it. JB Weld, Heli-Coil, Actually welding it back together then taking a tap and dye set to it and re-thread, any advice helps... Thanks

In the mean time, you could put some silicone on it to slow down that leak.  Read the label for proper set up.