Beta xtrainer jetting

From the JD kit description for the Xtrainer...

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=225

Accelerator pump modification to improve throttle response 

If you don't mind sharing, what is the modification to the AP that they are recommending, or even better, can you scan the install instructions from the kit and post it?

More then likely thats a misprint. 2 strokes don't have accelerator pumps.

From the JD kit description for the Xtrainer...

https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=225

Accelerator pump modification to improve throttle response 

If you don't mind sharing, what is the modification to the AP that they are recommending, or even better, can you scan the install instructions from the kit and post it?

[/quote There is no accelerator pump modification on the Xtrainer. I think that statement pertains to the four strokes only which have accelerator pumps.

The Xtrainer JD Kit comes with Keihin main jets ranging from 148 to 162 and a 38 slow jet. A special tapered Blue marked needle and a Red marked needle. For 0-4000 feet the instructions recommend a 38 pilot, the red needle with clip in #4 position as a starting point, the 152 main.

I have bought and installed JDJetting kits in every new motorcycle I have purchased in the last 10 years and have been most satisfied with them.

• Like 1

Thank you for that info. I have a JD kit in the XCF-W and am quite satisfied with it in that bike as well. I figured the bit about the AP was incorrect, but wanted to clarify.

Here is a quick update. I ended up with MJ 140, PJ 35 and AS at 2 turns out.  There's still spooge and I've ordered some keihin needles, N427-48 AEQ, BGQ, CGQ and DGQ.  I plan to start with CGQ and go from there.  I mainly ride from 7000-10000 ft.

Edit: needle clip: 1

Edited by flywheels

Here is a quick update. I ended up with MJ 140, PJ 35 and AS at 2 turns out. There's still spooge and I've ordered some keihin needles, N427-48 AEQ, BGQ, CGQ and DGQ. I plan to start with CGQ and go from there. I mainly ride from 7000-10000 ft.

Edit: needle clip: 1

We ride the same altitude as you... Jd has it pretty dead on and we have 0 splooge running a 150main but as it heats up I most likely will move it to the 148...

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I do go to lower elevation each year and I'm thinking of getting a Lectron right now but could not decide yet.

Edit: I didn't realize JD has an XT kit already.  Will check it out as well.

Edited by flywheels

We ride the same altitude as you... Jd has it pretty dead on and we have 0 splooge running a 150main but as it heats up I most likely will move it to the 148...

I've decided to go with JD kit.  Thanks for the info.

I received JD kit today. The setting as of now is -- mj 148, pj 35, as 1.75 turns out, red needle at 2nd clip. I really hope this is it.

• Like 1

I live and ride at sea level mostly warm 80 degree temps and have tried a few needles now. I like a smooth controllable power in case it gets hairy its better if the bike is softer initially. The stock setup felt quite strong and a bit more snappy off the bottom and the mid for technical riding here.

I also tried a Suzuki NECW in 3rd clip, which gave a little bit more control right off idle and still had plenty left in the mid for hill climbs, it was still pretty sensitive. I cant believe how strong this motor is compared to my 150/200's. This is supposed to be an entry level bike!?

Then I also tried an older JD needle for a ktm kit some years back. I dont know what bike this kit was for, either a 200 or 250 as my friend gave it to me. Put the red in 3rd clip and its the smoothest yet, the airscrew feels best around half a turn out so i will need a bigger pilot, stock with the red feels a bit lean and sound like its getting a lean surge when climbing under loads. Dont know the stock jetting details as I havent even looked yet. This needle feels pretty good for what I am after. Still plenty of grunt in the mid. xtrainer motor feels like a power house for climbing hills.

• Like 1

I received JD kit today. The setting as of now is -- mj 148, pj 35, as 1.75 turns out, red needle at 2nd clip. I really hope this is it.

Let us know how it goes.  I've had JD jetting in my last 5 bikes, I just order a kit when I get a new bike and don't even bother fussing with stock jetting.  Haven't been let down yet.

• Like 1

I've been waiting for temp to warm up.  It's been an exceptionally wet Spring for Colorado.  Last weekend, I was riding single track at 8800-9700 ft, with air temp around 80.  There's light spooge with JD red needle, 3rd clip; mj 140; pj 35, a/s 1.75 out.  Tioday, I've just changed to 2nd clip and with 138 main jet for a test ride around home at 5500ft with air temp in the low 90's.  There still spooge and I'm not going to make it any leaner than that as mountain trails tend to have lower temperature.

What I have noticed is this bike is very sensitive to temp for jetting.  Anyone knows about how to retrofit the Lectron with TPS?

Can anyone who has installed the JD jet kit help me out? I installed the kit, tried starting it up and it will not idle without holding the throttle open. Thought it was an install problem, checked my work and could not find anything wrong. Put the stock needle back in as a test and the bike will start and idle. 

So the question is, did they send me the wrong needles perhaps? Has anyone who has installed the kit compared the needles side by side? Here's a pic of the stock needle between the two needles that were sent in the kit. Do yours look this different from the stock needle?

100_0848.JPG

Edited by kkim

Can anyone who has installed the JD jet kit help me out? I installed the kit, tried starting it up and it will not idle without holding the throttle open. Thought it was an install problem, checked my work and could not find anything wrong. Put the stock needle back in as a test and the bike will start and idle. 

So the question is, did they send me the wrong needles perhaps? Has anyone who has installed the kit compared the needles side by side? Here's a pic of the stock needle between the two needles that were sent in the kit. Do yours look this different from the stock needle?

I compared the stock needle that came out of my Xtrainer to the extra needle that came with my JD kit and they are approximately the same length. It appears that your kit was packaged wrong.
  • Like 1

The length of needle need to be the same.  You can contact JD and send them the picture and I'm sure they will replace it for you.

• Like 1

I compared the stock needle that came out of my Xtrainer to the extra needle that came with my JD kit and they are approximately the same length. It appears that your kit was packaged wrong.

The length of needle need to be the same.  You can contact JD and send them the picture and I'm sure they will replace it for you.

Thanks for checking guys. I've already sent an email to JD with the pic and will reassemble the bike with the stock needle for now. We'll see what they say.

Needle length should have no effect on idle. I suspect the JD's straight section dia is different ,richer/. You still have to tweak your airscrew.

You still have to tweak your airscrew.

Did that... didn't help. I'm not talking about a simple blubbering idle. I'm talking not idling/starting at all unless the throttle was held open at least halfway and no matter how much I played with the adjustable air screw I have installed. Once it started... Smoke everywhere! That's why my first thought was that I screwed up on reassembly. Stock needle runs/idles fine. Something is WAY off.

Answer from JD-

We will express you the correct needles.  You should have them by Saturday.  We apologize for the confusion.

Whew... makes me feel a lot better!  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Ok, here is an update for jetting in high altitude, 8000-11000.

MJ: 135

PJ: 35

A/S: 1.25-1.75 turn out.

Neelde: JD Red at 2.5 clip

Air temp is from 70 to 85 F.  I could have used the 2nd clip for it but decide to stick with 2.5 to make sure when the temp drop, it won't be on the lean side.

• Like 1

Ok, here is another update for jetting at 800 ft

MJ: 152

PJ: 38

A/S: 1.75-2 turn out.

Needle: JD Red at 4 clip

Air temp is from 70 to 85 F.

this is JD's 0-4000 ft suggestion and seems to be spot on. Nice job

My daughter rides a 2015 xtrainer and complained about the burble on the bottom end, it would kind of sputter/burble and then take off a bit above 1/8th throttle. Very irritating at slow speeds in rocks. The JD kit fixed it but I have to say it probably was not due to the needle as the needle should not have any affect until more throttle. The PJ was a 35 and JD says to use their 38PJ which i suspect is what fixed it. I have used many JD kits and am a big fan. I will also say there is more topend now and does wheelies much easier so the needle does help. I had tried both the needle that came on the bike and the one they give you. So in the end I suggest you just get the JD kit.

Edited by wr450oregon
  • Like 1