Greg Melone

Massachusetts Recreation Vehicle Laws say I can't ride???

22 hours ago, rcoran2568 said:

I'm looking for help to understand restrictions on youth's riding. I have 12 year old twins who want to ride and the law says:

A  person  between  the  ages  of  10  and  14 may  only operate a recreation vehicle while directly  supervised  in  preparation  for,  or  while  a  participant  in,  a  supervised  and  sanctioned  race,  rally,  or  organized  event  approved  by  a  municipal permitting authority. 

Does "in preparation" mean training? I usually ride at Hodges and Freetown. if my boys are riding w/ me and they are registered for Netra and planning to ride a sanctioned event in the future can I claim they are "in preparation"?

My son is twelve. Been riding with me since he was six. We ride private property or go to NH for OHV. Unfortunately that is the only way to get them in the woods. We have property to ride in Freetown, Acushnet and South Dartmouth. It is not technically legal for them to ride anywhere in the state though. Even private land. 

NH is much less restrictive of age and is a short drive away.

If your into MX they can ride at Wareham but again I don't believe it is technically legal. Wareham mx lets them ride though. We don't go but have friends who do. 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, Bobatsea said:

My son is twelve. Been riding with me since he was six. We ride private property or go to NH for OHV. Unfortunately that is the only way to get them in the woods. We have property to ride in Freetown, Acushnet and South Dartmouth. It is not technically legal for them to ride anywhere in the state though. Even private land. 

NH is much less restrictive of age and is a short drive away.

If your into MX they can ride at Wareham but again I don't believe it is technically legal. Wareham mx lets them ride though. We don't go but have friends who do. 

This is a bummer. in reading the laws i had a feeling my 6 year old wouldn't be able to ride at the state forests. Is this heavily enforced? Being mass i'm sure it is.  I'm starting to regret moving back up here. 

25 minutes ago, tewyatt said:

This is a bummer. in reading the laws i had a feeling my 6 year old wouldn't be able to ride at the state forests. Is this heavily enforced? Being mass i'm sure it is.  I'm starting to regret moving back up here. 

Here you go. This spells it out clearly. And, yes enforcement is pretty common especially on weekends. 

https://www.offroad-ed.com/massachusetts/studyGuide/Age-Restrictions/401020_700040773/

We make the short drive to new hampshire for OHV on a regular basis. sucks to waist a couple hours driving each way. But, would be worse to not have the option. For a six year old i would recommend the rockingham rail trail. Just make sure to push across at the road crossings. Also Jerico lake is a great place to camp and ride with your son. 

Edited by Bobatsea

5 minutes ago, Bobatsea said:

Here you go. This spells it out clearly. And, yes enforcement is pretty common especially on weekends. 

https://www.offroad-ed.com/massachusetts/studyGuide/Age-Restrictions/401020_700040773/

We make the short drive to new hampshire for OHV on a regular basis. sucks to waist a couple hours driving each way. But, would be worse to not have the option. For a six year old i would recommend the rockingham rail trail. Just make sure to push across at the road crossings. Also Jerico lake is a great place to camp and ride with your son. 

Thanks for the heads up. Why is Massachusetts such a fun vacuum? I'm sure they would legalize kids riding if they figured out how to tax it more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tewyatt said:

Thanks for the heads up. Why is Massachusetts such a fun vacuum? I'm sure they would legalize kids riding if they figured out how to tax it more.

Liberalism is inherently anti fun. Lol

• Like 6

Just now, tewyatt said:

but hey at least we can enjoy our heroin safe shoot up sites without being bothered by vape smoke

Only thing keeping me here is family. Would have moved to Utah or Colorado many years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bobatsea said:

Only thing keeping me here is family. Would have moved to Utah or Colorado many years ago. 

Family is why i moved back. I was in VA but its sounding like i got out of there just in time. They have some craziness going on there. One thing i will give Mass is the woods riding is 100x better than down there.

42 minutes ago, tewyatt said:

Family is why i moved back. I was in VA but its sounding like i got out of there just in time. They have some craziness going on there. One thing i will give Mass is the woods riding is 100x better than down there.

yeah man. some of the woods riding is pretty epic. The trails we have are very good. 

• Like 1

MA's recreational vehicle of choice is pot.

something is wrong here.

I came from CA, bad enough but at least there my old green sticker bike was OK year round, here they shut the trails down by date, regardless of weather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2019 at 8:00 PM, tewyatt said:

Thanks for the heads up. Why is Massachusetts such a fun vacuum? 

I have a bunch of riding buddies who live in Maryland and they come up to PA to ride. They say the fun vacuum is all over Maryland as well

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pat22043 said:

I have a bunch of riding buddies who live in Maryland and they come up to PA to ride. They say the fun vacuum is all over Maryland as well

We have some pretty good riding during the legal months. Plenty of fun to be had legally. Most towns at least near me (I am in one of the only red refuges) have a don's ask don't tell policy with outlaw trails. The state level is where most of the problems lie. Six or seven months the trails open. Any time in the off season you better not be on those state trails. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bobatsea said:

We have some pretty good riding during the legal months. Plenty of fun to be had legally. Most towns at least near me (I am in one of the only red refuges) have a don's ask don't tell policy with outlaw trails. The state level is where most of the problems lie. Six or seven months the trails open. Any time in the off season you better not be on those state trails. 

luckily i live in one of those towns where as long as your respectful and not destroying property they don't seem to care too much 

• Like 2

Just now, tewyatt said:

luckily i live in one of those towns where as long as your respectful and not destroying property they don't seem to care too much 

One of my favorite (winter) trail systems is right across from the police station. Never been bothered. A long time town cop lives in my small neighborhood and sees me riding past on my plated bike all year long. Just waves and goes about his day. 

• Like 2

Ya where I usually ride in MA the cops don’t care as long as you’re not ripping down the road or riding where people walk their dogs.  About 20 miles of singletrack, no one bothers you and still 30 mins from Boston 👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dcdr said:

Ya where I usually ride in MA the cops don’t care as long as you’re not ripping down the road or riding where people walk their dogs.  About 20 miles of singletrack, no one bothers you and still 30 mins from Boston 👍

if you're south of boston i may know where your talking about and i get the same vibe from everyone there

1 minute ago, tewyatt said:

if you're south of boston i may know where your talking about and i get the same vibe from everyone there

Haha half hour south of Boston is still in Boston. lol

• Haha 1

I think one of the things that saves us is there are not many of us. I go out in the winter and other than my riding buddies see no one. If the woods were full of riders this would be a different conversation. Though when I was a kid the woods were pretty full all year. 

• Like 1

i thought the 'tolerated local area' thing applied to a place  where I am, unless you got too close to homes and generated complaints.

my problem is after  reading about environment police, regulations applied on my own property etc, I'm a little concerned about parking with a trailer even at the best access area I've found, pretty much setting myself up for getting caught. being new to the state and town it's hard to know the local police/population attitudes. maybe I'm paranoid ...

at my age I'm not going to try and ride there on a non street legal bike/ attempt to outrun the cops. that maybe 'works" for foolish youth etc, but I'd probably get a whole bunch of really big books thrown at me. 

On 11/30/2019 at 7:52 PM, Bobatsea said:

why would you push your bike across the street on a designated OHRV trail?