Complete rebuild 03 YZ 125

I figured I would post a link to all the photos I've been taking whole doing a complete rebuild on my 03 yz 125. So far I've taken the bike down to to the frame, I'm currently sand blasting the frame. My engine is finished with basically everything besides the tranny which is in perfect condition replaced. I matched the cases, light porting of the intake port with light reshaping for smoother transitions into the case's, polished the exhaust port, removed all imperfections inside all areas of the engine, basically my attempt at blue printing the engine. I did however reuse my piston considering I had just rebuilt the top end and had to have surgery shortly after so it has around 2 hours max on it. I'm planning on making a custom skid plate out of a stop sign someone ran over at work, i already used a chunk of it to make a nice little case saver which I powder coated with my overspray powder. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. As for the rest of the bike every bearing is being replaced I actually just finished up the linkage and swing arm bearings today. As you can tell on the pictures I have been meticulously cleaning, sanding, powdercoating basically just restoring my bike to what it deserves. I'm currently in a bind with my rims and frame as they are too big for my oven. My options are to pay a shop 90 bucks to coat the rims, I haven't got the frame quoted but in sure it'll be at least 100 or I can build a new oven which is the likely path I will be taking. No point in paying someone that much when I can coat it myself for 200 bucks invested into a oven and 75 cents worth of powder. Anyways I haven't been taking as many pictures can I should be I get caught up in working but yeah if anyone has suggestions I'd like the input thanks ?. http://s22.photobucket.com/user/kwdmx193/library/Yz%20125%20complete%20rebuild

• 2 months later...

Working on a custom aluminum skid plate... Had a scrap sign cut it up and put it together with some aluminum alloy brazing rods. Looks rough but it'll be nice once it's cleaned up. Just waiting to get the frame from the powder shop and ill finish the plate.

Blasting the frame

1435594443844.jpg

1435594585624.jpg

Nice. I have an 03 waiting on a rebuild also. Mine is stripped and getting close to ordering crank kit and top end. Everything is clean and ready to put back together. Post up as you progress on the project, I would like to see it. Looks great so far. 

looking good KMX, I have been restoring YZ's for a little while now and there nothing like a fresh bike. I would have picked up a new lock out washer on the counter shaft.

Not sure about the PC on the outer case and clutch cover but it looks sweet. 

? 

Edited by PALMER84ONE

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Palmer I'm worried about the pc on the covers too since boot wear happens so fast but I figured it's not a big deal because I can 're coat them very quickly and easily. Believe it or not the grey on the cases and head isn't the metal it Is high temp silver pc

• Like 1