Check your frames from chain damage!

The first link to the TMD stuff didn't work, what was it supposed to be?

It would be cool if the TM Designs swingarm slider had a retaining lip on both sides, not just the inside. I might just get one anyway if it helps.

I like that DID 520VT2 narrow X-ring chain. I was hoping to get some life out of the original but maybe not worth it.

I wonder if the other chains have more side to side play like the Regina? It seems like most of my other chains can't be moved so far side to side just by pulling on them, kinda like loose tolerance fit on the parts.

I just ordered the TM Designworks front swingarm slider, we'll see how much that improves things. I might be looking at that DID chain soon but would like to get some max width measurement on it before deciding. I checked their spec page but didn't see a max chain width number.

• Like 1

I take it the RK MXU chain and the DID chain that Krannie linked (pun intended) above are essentially the same as far as them both being narrow?

Noob question - does the swingarm need to be removed to install the TM slider?  Edit: Okay after reading the specs on the TMDesigns website it says you don't have to remove anything but the stock slider, but that the installation is easier if you do remove the countershaft.  

No need to remove slider or countershaft. You do want to clean off the swingarm so the foam will stick. The DID VT2 that Bill listed is almost the same specs as the RK. I only use RK because I've wadded up more DID chains than I care to remember. 

• Like 1

It would be cool if the TM Designs swingarm slider had a retaining lip on both sides, not just the inside. I might just get one anyway if it helps.

I like that DID 520VT2 narrow X-ring chain. I was hoping to get some life out of the original but maybe not worth it.

I wonder if the other chains have more side to side play like the Regina? It seems like most of my other chains can't be moved so far side to side just by pulling on them, kinda like loose tolerance fit on the parts.

I just ordered the TM Designworks front swingarm slider, we'll see how much that improves things. I might be looking at that DID chain soon but would like to get some max width measurement on it before deciding. I checked their spec page but didn't see a max chain width number.

It was the front swingarm slider that you ordered, Part # Beta-253.  I think I'm going to order one as well.  Did you get black or red?   I'm tempted to get the DID chain now too, but I think I can wait it out and would like to test the TM swingarm slider first. 

I just installed my TM slider/guide. The guide is a really tight fit. Requires very hard slamming with a mallet to get it in place. As per instructions this is perfectly normal.

📎IMG_2209.JPG

Chris, let us know how your chain does with the new slider, fingers crossed it works like a champ. Dave at Get Dirty has confidence it will do the trick. Edited by desertrat28
  • Like 1

It was the front swingarm slider that you ordered, Part # Beta-253. I think I'm going to order one as well. Did you get black or red? I'm tempted to get the DID chain now too, but I think I can wait it out and would like to test the TM swingarm slider first.

Yup, part# Beta-253 in black.

I'm considering going with a 50T rear sprocket to do a 15/50 gearing and I might need a longer chain, not sure. If so the DID will be bumped up the list.

But first I'll see how the slider works and report back. They mention something about quieting down the chain slap and longer wearing, I'd welcome both.

• Like 2

Yup, part# Beta-253 in black.

I'm considering going with a 50T rear sprocket to do a 15/50 gearing and I might need a longer chain, not sure. If so the DID will be bumped up the list.

But first I'll see how the slider works and report back. They mention something about quieting down the chain slap and longer wearing, I'd welcome both.

Cool.  I ordered the red one.  Will also post my findings after I install it.  Good luck.

I run a 520 VT2 on my 450X. Max width at the pins measures .738" vs .768" max width measured on the Beta's 520 VF. So overall you're only saving .015" per side with the VT2. I'd just make sure your chain tension is correct, install the TMD slider and replace the stock chain after it's got some wear on it. 

I just ordered the TM Designworks front swingarm slider, we'll see how much that improves things.

I installed my TMD slider when the bike was new.

Currently at 27 hours.

I always adjust chain up on a lift stand, using the "3 finger" rule at the back end of the slider.

This equates to about 50-55mm.

I may lessen that measurement for the upcoming season.

What do you think?

This is what it has done to my subframe:

i0Zr0BH.jpg

I saw the missing link showing as part #1075, a lower frame mount pad @ $24.95. This may not be accurate as I used google's cached mode to try and pull up an older link. ?IMG_1485458601.374777.jpg

That's the upper wear pad.

So here is my bike as it sets since putting on the narrow chain a few seasons ago:

IMG_2222.JPG

As you can see nothing but chain lube has hit frame. These lightweight narrow chains are really the answer. I wonder why Beta felt the need to use such a huge heavy chain for such a small bore bike? Maybe they got a good deal from Regina.

Ok, I'm kinda pissed that with my 1900 miles since new I have no chain issues, no rubbing issues, except my slider is worn pretty bad, time for a new one. Still have the OEM chain but a little tired now....

One thing I noticed from day one with my Beta was the chain blocks, while doing their job holding everything in place on the rear swingarm was fine, but my first adjustment I noticed that the graduations on those blocks were not very accurate in fact if I followed those stupid lines my rear wheel was out of alignment with the countershaft, I have always double checked my rear wheel to countershaft with a chain alignment tool that attaches to the rear sprocket...

IMHO, if your blocks have f-ed up graduations like mine and you are using those lines for setting parallel alignment of the rear wheel, and setting the correct slack to the chain you may be throwing the chain into the side of the frame, maybe?? 

Carry on.......

• Like 2

I can attest to this. My bike (xtrainer) has eight miles...i took the shock loose and went through the travel and yes three fingers behind the lower chain slide is about right on.

I did a shake down run and the chain loosened up some more and it just did kiss that bolt...

So my thought is a loose chain is the culprit...but the beta spec is def too tight.