Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 SM Rust and Oxidation on new bike

Hey is anyone else notice extreme oxidation / rust on 90% of their hardware? I looked at a 2014 bike last night and it looked horrible for only being 1 season used. Every piece of aluminum or galvinized steel had a nasty powder on it. EX. Brake calipers, spokes, bolt heads, even painted bolt heats, brackets holding brake lines, wheel hubs. Is this just a rare case or the norm. It really looks like shit!

drz-1.jpg

drz-2.jpg

drz-3.jpg

I've seen a number of posts this spring about such corrosion.  The two threads I've seen in the DRZ 400 forum were from guys who had stored their bikes for the winter but in both cases, the location where the bikes were stored ended up having a couple inches of water getting on the floor.  This caused the road salt that had gotten on the bike from riding on wet roads to start corroding the aluminum.  One guy had a picture of the back of the motor (the side facing the rear tire) that looked like the aluminum was melting away.  Another guy had a bunch of circle on his fork tubes where it was eating away the anodizing.

It's not just a Suzuki problem.  It's an issue of dissimilar metals being exposed to a caustic substance and moisture.

I have to admit, it makes me glad that I live in a relatively "dry" climate and I don't ever use my bike when it's raining.

Sad to see it though.

:ride:

Edited by OldYelMXer
  • Like 1

Some harsh cleaners/de-greasers will cause the corrosion you are talking about. A de-greaser did me in.

• Like 1

Could be due to various things… but I wouldn't say its normal.  My bike is 15 yrs old and its doesn't look half as bad.

Hey is anyone else notice extreme oxidation / rust on 90% of their hardware? I looked at a 2014 bike last night and it looked horrible for only being 1 season used. Every piece of aluminum or galvinized steel had a nasty powder on it. EX. Brake calipers, spokes, bolt heads, even painted bolt heats, brackets holding brake lines, wheel hubs. Is this just a rare case or the norm. It really looks like shit!

your case is extreme and i would guess its been exposed to salt or chemicals, but its typical to some degree on all bikes starting from the first time they get wet .. you have to care for them .. honda spray isnt too cheap but once you start using it regularly on a new bike and keep things wiped down, especially paying attention to fasteners and brake fittings, its ultimately worth it and will prevent that from happening .. once it does its permanently degraded, or you can spend several hundred at an oem supply house and replace most of it ... then the 12buck can of honda spray doesnt sound so unreasonable ..

your case is extreme and i would guess its been exposed to salt or chemicals, but its typical to some degree on all bikes starting from the first time they get wet .. you have to care for them .. honda spray isnt too cheap but once you start using it regularly on a new bike and keep things wiped down, especially paying attention to fasteners and brake fittings, its ultimately worth it and will prevent that from happening .. once it does its permanently degraded, or you can spend several hundred at an oem supply house and replace most of it ... then the 12buck can of honda spray doesnt sound so unreasonable ..

what Honda spray are you refering to? Part number? picture of can?

Thanks

Edited by jimneutron
  • Like 1

My bike is a 09 and it has little to no rust. But I can say that in the one month were I was in Biloxi right on the coast is what caused 90% of it. I ride every day to work and when it rains it stays wet all day. But the salt gets to it faster then you would think.

Being from WV, where all we use is salt for road treatment, I would say that corrosion in the pics is from salt.

sorry missed it yesterday .. this stuff -

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Spray-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B004FSEJZA

when I bought my FZ1 the dealer gave me a can of spray cleaner, I never used it. I always used Plexus so it went on the shelf. it's that exact stuff. Good score now gonna try it next time I clean her...

thanks for the info

Edited by jimneutron

when I bought my FZ1 the dealer gave me a can of spray cleaner, I never used it. I always used Plexus so it went on the shelf. it's that exact stuff. Good score now gonna try it next time I clean her...

thanks for the info

good show, yes it has just enough wax or whatever to bead water off of parts protect and shine them up nice, including plastics and rubber ..its definitely better than something like armorall and lasts longer on the surface, and isnt so heavy that its a pita to use or builds up ect .. a can doesnt last long is the drawback, actually it does on a streetbike thats kept dry .. if your going over a bike that was washed thats when it needs a more thorough coating .. i genrally go through a can a month with my bikes ...