I am considering doing a MRD exhaust, 3x3, and jetting. Is there a noticeable performance gain with the FCR MX from the RR store compared to just resetting the stock carburetor? Thanks

This has to be one of the most asked questions on here  :banghead:

To answer your question: Yes, there definitely is a difference in power, but most of all, throttle response. After I did a quick SEARCH, the majority of users said it was one of the best upgrades you could do to a DRZ.

I still have mine sitting in the box so I'm not talking from personal experience. 

Hope this helps  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I'll let you know in a week or two, I'm in the process of installing one now, bit of a bugger to fit in my case and I'm still trying out various throttle cable runs in order to get a smooth cable action.

I had my original 2003 S model BSR carb working near-perfect, (open exhaust,3x3,dj needle,142.5MJ and 25PJ)  but was looking for the ability to loft the front wheel easier, the biggest downside to the bike in my eyes.

• Like 1

Considering the fact that the FCR is rather pricey and still touted as one of the best bang-for-your-buck performance mods, I would say most people think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Short answer:  Yes

The only mods to my S motor are the FCR-MX, 3x3, and E header.  Stock displacement, cams, and muffler. With the Mikuni, jet kit, and 3x3 there was always a delay when I rolled the throttle that was very annoying and possibly dangerous in the woods.  Adding the FCR adds a bit of HP (maybe 1 HP or so without pipe) but best of all the accelerator pump is awesome.  Lifting the front wheel is so much easier in the woods (or anywhere) it's like night and day.  

For me this was the second mod to consider.  Depending on how much you weigh and how you ride getting the suspension tuned will always be the very first mod I do to any dirt bike.  

• Like 2

I'll let you know in a week or two, I'm in the process of installing one now, bit of a bugger to fit in my case and I'm still trying out various throttle cable runs in order to get a smooth cable action.

I had my original 2003 S model BSR carb working near-perfect, (open exhaust,3x3,dj needle,142.5MJ and 25PJ)  but was looking for the ability to loft the front wheel easier, the biggest downside to the bike in my eyes.

You can get throttle cables that fit and work the best for the DR-Z with FCRMX at www.Power-Barn.com. The ends of the cable at the carb are different and made to fit properly. Solves a lot of those issues.

Edited by Jim BurnCycle Abbott
  • Like 1

You can get throttle cables that fit and work the best for the DR-Z with FCRMX at www.Power-Barn.com. The ends of the cable at the carb are different and made to fit properly. Solves a lot of those issues.

Thanks Jim,

Good suggestion, hadn't thought of that and I'll give it a try if I can't get the cables to run nicely. I 'm kinda fussy about throttle control and it must return properly or it'll get tossed!

I have to admit that fitting this carb sounded easier than it's turned out, 99% of the trouble due to boots that don't want to fit and fat fingers that don't want to fit.

• Like 1