2014 or 2015 yz450f? Which to buy?

Hey guys, I was looking for a similar topic but couldn't find one, so I hope I'm not making another similar thread.....

But I have a 2008 yz450f with lots of problems. So I'm going to keep it as a fix up bike and right now I'm going to buy a new bike. Here's the issue.....

Shopping around, the best deal I can find on a white 2015 yz450f is $9300 Canadian dollars. The same dealer has a brand new 2014 yz450f for $8100. Doing some research the bikes seem to be almost the same with the 2015 having just minor upgrades. For you guys who have experience or knowledge on this, is it worth spending the extra $1200 and picking up the 2015?

Thanks. Waiting for the dealer to call me back now, but he said that the best they could do would probably be $7900. Be a game time decision I think lol. Pretty excitied to get a bike that's EFI. So sick of trying to jet my old bike over and over ?

Buy the '14 and put the '15 front motor mounts on it. Thats $1200 you have in your pocket to put into extras for it.

Are only the lower motor mounts different?  I checked Yamaha's site and the part numbers for the upper mounts are the same. 

For the lowers, they are different part numbers.  They were two different part numbers for the lowers last year, but it looks like the 2015 uses just one part number which goes on both sides.

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy#/Yamaha/YZ450F_-_YZ450FEL_-_2014/FRAME

Ended up getting the 2014. it was a showroom bike that came with $1400 worth of extras, couldn't pass it up. Oh man is it ever fast compared to the 2008. Unreal!

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5439.JPG

Does anyone know if my 08 Rims will fit this 2014? I heard talks that they changed the rear axel in 2009.

IMG_5439.JPG

• Like 3

Ended up getting the 2014. it was a showroom bike that came with $1400 worth of extras, couldn't pass it up. Oh man is it ever fast compared to the 2008. Unreal!

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5439.JPG

Does anyone know if my 08 Rims will fit this 2014? I heard talks that they changed the rear axel in 2009.

Your 08 had 20mm front axle and 22mm rear axel. Your 14 has a 22mm/25mm axles. No, they will not fit...

Your 08 had 20mm front axle and 22mm rear axel. Your 14 has a 22mm/25mm axles. No, they will not fit...

Thanks man! I was really hoping they would or I could buy spacers or something.

No. I wish you could though. I looked at bearings to fit but nothing common is made with that ID/OD.

Guess I have a set of rims going up for sale lol. How about the front forks? would you know if they would fit? Got a bit of money invested in those bad buys with race tech suspension inside, designed and revalved for my weight. I would just use them as a spare if possible

Edited by yamie

Guess I have a set of rims going up for sale lol. How about the front forks? would you know if they would fit? Got a bit of money invested in those bad buys with race tech suspension inside, designed and revalved for my weight. I would just use them as a spare if possible

Maybe, only reason I would think there might be a issue is I think the newer forks are longer. You would have to get spacers too make the 22mm front hub work with the 20mm forks, or keep your old hub..

You might be able to transfer the inners into the newer forks. I did this with my 2012 KTM where I put 08 250sx inners that had been revalved.

• 2 years later...
On 5/7/2015 at 8:59 PM, grayracer513 said:

Read post #7.

The supposition is that the frame needed to be more flexible in that area, so steel was used to replace the older aluminum ones.

The bottom mounts are welded in place.

dose it realy help to change the engine mount !? it it realy easy to just replace them !?

Yes and yes

Thats good to know . I have sold my 2013 YZ and have looked at different bike ... but at the end i come back to YZ . I have 2014 and 2015 options with good prises . But 2014 is 1000$ difference for me +have better Modes on it.