How Many Clicks is Normal?

I was just reading through the manual and it says the compression and rebound clickers on the Showa forks should have at least 16 clicks.  I'm not positive about my rebound clickers, but I know my compression clickers have 24 positions (makes 23 clicks either way).  Is this normal?

I dunno, I never get mine that far out,  and the manual says they become less effective the further out they are. The Owner's Manual does have  suggested starting points as well as offsets for different types of terrain.

If you feel more comfortable with the clickers much different than suggested then maybe a revalve is warranted.

I dunno, I never get mine that far out, and the manual says they become less effective the further out they are. The Owner's Manual does have suggested starting points as well as offsets for different types of terrain.

If you feel more comfortable with the clickers much different than suggested then maybe a revalve is warranted.

No way I'm touching those forks again for a very long time. I just replaced all the seals, o-rings, and bushings last month. Feela good to me. I was just curious.

I would start in the middle, set a base line for all the clickers you're going to change, and ride. After riding for a while, adjust 1 set of clickers at a time till you find what you like. Example, adjust the compression on top of both forks at the same time, dial those in the same number of clicks. After that adjust the rebound on the bottom of both forks at the same time. Do the same for the rear. If you find yourself to far out on the edge of adjustment, like chuck said a revalve is in need. That's how I did mine and I'm pretty happy. 

No way I'm touching those forks again for a very long time. I just replaced all the seals, o-rings, and bushings last month. Feela good to me. I was just curious.

Whenever I make fork adjustments from a change of oil and seals. I like to ride in place that has lot of three to five foot smaller jumps. This give me an idea how far I'm off from where I want them on trail. So I up the compression to where the smaller jumping feels good from stock settings , then I soften the compression 2 or 3 clicks for the trail riding that we mostly do. Not scientific, but this works for me. Advice I was given on here... Forks that are really soft can be a hazard when breaking hard. Lean towards the firmer side for more safety.

I suggest starting at the settings in the manual, for my 05 that is:

Fork comp 7 clicks out

Fork rebound 10 clicks out

Shock low speed comp 12 clicks out

Shock high speed comp 1 1/2- 2 1/2 turns out, I run mine at 3 out.

Shock rebound 13-16 clicks out

Then find a typical section of trail that you can easily do repeat rides. Ride several times and then adjust compression clickers  5 clicks and repeat as needed. Do same for rebound. This will help you decide which way to adjust the clickers.  Then do adjusting 2 clicks at a time.  Keep notes on how each clicker adjustment affects the bike.

I had a problem with whoops on one bike, a lot of bike pitching and the rear seemed to be harsh or rebounding too much. Adjusting shock clickers didn't seem to help.  Out of frustration I began to adjust the forks and solved the pitching problem by reducing fork rebound damping.  :facepalm:  Too much fork rebound was pulling the front end down into the whoops.

i always start with the halfway mark on everything and just go a little at a time i do try to run the same track for a while until i am happy then i should not be more than couple of clicks for everywhere but you must start with the right sag and springs for your weight..

I replaced the rear spring and the sag is spot on, and the front springs are the rate that the RaceTech calculator recommends so I'm going to run with what I have for now. 

My question is not how to setup my suspension, it's whether 24 clicks seems like a lot. I just rebuilt my forks and want to be sure I didn't do something wrong.  I'm pretty confident that I did the job properly, but can't help but wonder why the manual says there can be as little as 16 clicks when I have 50% more than that.

Edited by mossman77

I like to try to find a rocky, rooted area and ride there when adjusting the clickers.  then the suspension is working hard all the time and you can more easily notice a difference.  to figure out what I liked, I went the first time all the way one way, and then the next pass all the way the other way.  that way I could really feel the difference and then adjusted it in between where I liked it.  For me, just changing it a few clicks one way or the other is really hard to tell the difference.  I am just not that good of rider to be that discerning in my riding.

I like to try to find a rocky, rooted area and ride there when adjusting the clickers.  then the suspension is working hard all the time and you can more easily notice a difference.  to figure out what I liked, I went the first time all the way one way, and then the next pass all the way the other way.  that way I could really feel the difference and then adjusted it in between where I liked it.  For me, just changing it a few clicks one way or the other is really hard to tell the difference.  I am just not that good of rider to be that discerning in my riding.

That's a good idea (full soft, then full hard, then adjust somewhere in between).  I've only been riding a year and do not have enough experience to know one way or the other.  I currently have rebound and compression set to a little off center towards the hard and it seems good for my current riding level.

I don't think anyone actually answered your question so here goes.  I have found more clicks on mine also. No you didn't do anything wrong to get more clicks. I can't think anything you could possibly do to add clicks unless you were putting new valving in which I assume you didn't so all is right with the world. 

i add a couple of clicks for mud as i know the bike will be heavier ,i soften the rebound for sand but go another 2 clicks on compression ,for stutter bumps i adjust the slow speed on the shock ,these things i cant really tell the difference if i am honest its just a rough guide that i myself use!  Things i have read or been told by others .For the way i ride now which is for fun it would not make a difference at all but i am so used to doing it that i just do it when i am at the same track all day which is rare now ..its definatley a challenge trying to get a bike set up for a trail or terrain and i like that aspect of it..As for your clicks it sounds normal i have 22 clicks  on both my hondas so it seems you did a good job on the forks .Swuspension is such a personal thing that if its wrong for one its right for another good luck with it ...