IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

20 year old, pretty much beginner, 125 2 stroke or 250 2 stroke?

Hey everyone,

I'm 20, 5'11", 155 lbs. When I was younger I had a Honda xr70 for a few years but I never really rode it a whole lot. I've been really looking into buying myself a used bike in a price range of 1k to 2k at the very most. I definitely want to get a 2 stroke due to my price constraints, the light weight of the bike, and because I'd love to work on the bike on my own in my spare time too. My dilemma is I've always generally been somewhat timid when I'm in control of something that I'm not necessarily good at, yet I pick things up decently quickly and then I pretty much get over-aggressive and hammer it once I get the hang of it. I don't want to scare myself out of riding my bike early on so that's why I'm leaning towards a 125. My older brother has been riding for a few years and he has an 03 cr250. So that brings up my question. Would a 125 be enough power to keep me happy and also be fast enough that eventually I'll be able to keep up with my brother, who is by no means an aggressive rider?

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

Go with the 250.  You are plenty tall enough and will outgrow the 125 in a couple of weeks.  The 250 will be a longer term answer to your needs.

Another thing is I'm getting pretty impatient of waiting around for a decent priced 250 to show up when there's a couple 125's that fit my budget perfectly. I'm a college student so I don't have a lot of spare money to work with.

If you dont over pay for your 125 you should be able to sell it for very close to what you have in it if/when you decide you want a 250.  Post up some craigslist listings and show us what you're looking at.

• Like 2

Those are some good prices. Less than around here. Of those three the KX is the clear winner. Cheapest and best condition.

I'd caution against a 250 while you are learning. You will find that a 125 does a whole lot more than you can manage effectively as a new rider. A 250 does more than that. Could you 'handle' one? Probably. But the point is to build enough skill to have fun and be in full control at all times. A 125 will have a lot of power to control as it is. Many (most?) new male riders buy too much bike when they are starting out because they underestimate the power a race bike has.

Plenty of veteran riders love their 125. You may never want more power.

• Like 5

You can always go bigger. Its hard to repair the bad habits learned from too much bike. Since you already admit to being timid AND over-aggressive, a 250 could potentially be too much. Have you ridden your brother's much? I would start there. 

As for speed, I have friends that blow me away on a 125, but there are climbs they just can't make while I'm shifting through the gears going up. Just depends on the rider and terrain.

• Like 5

Those are great prices.  IMO a modern 125 will never be worth less than 800-1000 bucks as long as its in decent running shape.  I would say go with a 125, ride it for a year and then if you want more sell your 125.  If that KX isn't about to blow up thats a great deal.  I had a 99 CR125 as my first bike actually.  Its a great handling bike but I've heard its down on power to other 125s of the time. 

Edited by PTECH

I hate the mentality that 125's are "learner" bikes and that you "Outgrow" them. They have the same seat height as full sized bikes, and do people not remember 10 years ago when they were raced professionally? 

• Like 5

I hate the mentality that 125's are "learner" bikes and that you "Outgrow" them. They have the same seat height as full sized bikes, and do people not remember 10 years ago when they were raced professionally? 

Its almost like a street rider attitude.

But even those guys are wrong, when the 600's with a good rider slay the straight line power heroes on the track.

• Like 1

I started on a 450f and regretted it. On a 250f now and love it. Start on a 125 or 250f then move up for sure also if you were to start on a 250t you would get smashed

• Like 1

Go with the 250.  You are plenty tall enough and will outgrow the 125 in a couple of weeks.  The 250 will be a longer term answer to your needs.

I disagree. At 20 he's probably done growing, and i'm 6'2, 24 yo, and still ride a 125. I started riding a 125 and MX in general at 20 yo. I'm still a long ways before I could make efficient use of a 250 2t's power. Also, the 125 is the longer term answer because it breeds good riding habits. If you ride lazy on a 125, you won't be able to accomplish much. It forces you to practice good technique since you are lacking horsepower.

I'd definitely say 125's are learner bikes for some of the reasons I stated above. However, I totally agree you don't "outgrow" them. At 6'2 I do prefer the bigger feel of a 250 2t or 450f, but it's not like my 125 is too small to ride or uncomfortable by any means. Just have to jockey around on it more.

To Jpetsche12, I'm glad you're already leaning towards the 125. I was in your exact same position 4 years ago. College student, 20 yo, 150 lbs, 6'2. I bought a 2001 CR125 and a just few months ago picked up a 2011 YZ125. The 125 is going to teach you proper riding technique because you don't really have a choice. It has plenty of horsepower to get around any track, you're just going to have to learn how to use it and most importantly - carry your speed. That is one of the biggest advantages to learning on a 125, you'll never get fast on it until you learn to carry your speed and hit corners fast. The other main reason I prefer it is for the lack of power, its easier to avoid hairy situations, especially whiskey throttle. When I have a rough landing or am riding tired and whiskey throttle, I typically have time to get off the gas and hit the brakes. On a big bike, you would have already looped out or flew off a berm (very dangerous). Riding a big bike can make you lazier and breed poor technique, you can enter corners slow and just grab a handful of throttle and power out. On the 125 you're going to be using both arms and feet on the controls on damn near every corner.

I've always told myself once i'm able to fly around the track in 5th and 6th gear on my 125, then I'll be ready to harvest the power of a 250 2t or 450. I'll buy a 250f once I can afford to rebuild the damn engine regularly. 

To any nay sayers that think 125's are too weak, too small, outdated, kids bikes, etc. Watch Ryan Surratt effortlessly pass the big bikes with ease on what appears to be a stock 125. It's not the bike, its the rider. Extra HP is useless (and counter productive) until you're good enough to use it (don't overestimate yourself).

Edit: I do have one comment I should add so I don't sound like everyone should/needs to ride 125s. If you're 200+ lbs it probably doesn't have enough HP to get you through most situations comfortably.

Edited by dan2581
  • Like 3

Oh, about which bike to purchase. Definitely do everything in your power to buy an 06+ YZ125. Best suspension in the business hands down which is more important than power delivery IMO. If you cant find/afford one of those, just try to find any 125 with twin chamber forks. They are significantly better than old open bath forks and will allow you to ride faster.

If you can't find one of those, then buy an older Yamaha or Suzuki. I have no comment on Kawasaki because i've never owned one, but I don't think they are bad bikes at all, I just don't have first hand owner experience on one.

I liked my honda a lot, minus the terrible forks. The motor wasn't anything spectacular either, but it was tiny and light which boosted confidence. The hondas have no bottom end, no mid range pull, just top end. It did teach me how to ride on the pipe with confidence. The Yamaha and Suzuki I owned seemed to have a much broader power band on a stock motor without any sacrifice up top. I had to dump a lot of money modding my CR to be happy with the pull up top.

Edit: I also had a 2001 honda, that was a shitty era for the choked up motor they stuffed in the first aluminum frames. I've heard quite good things about the per-aluminum frame hondas and the later ones weren't so bad either. If you can afford an updated honda though, then you really just need to get an 06+ YZ

Edited by dan2581
  • Like 1

Hey guys, so I've been talking to the guy about the 02 kx125: http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/4983924178.html

and he sent some pictures of "all the bad stuff" which I've attached. I'd like to get some opinions on this bike. Would you steer away from it since it looks pretty beat up that maybe other costly problems could come up? Or would you buy it, and if so how much would you offer? He's asking 800. Thanks in advance!

IMG950676.jpg

IMG950678.jpg

IMG950679.jpg

Hey guys, so I've been talking to the guy about the 02 kx125: http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/4983924178.html

and he sent some pictures of "all the bad stuff" which I've attached. I'd like to get some opinions on this bike. Would you steer away from it since it looks pretty beat up that maybe other costly problems could come up? Or would you buy it, and if so how much would you offer? He's asking 800. Thanks in advance!

That stuff is gingerbread. I'd give him his $800 and be happy to do so. That bike is worth twice as much here. Go to somewhere like Canada and that's a $2500 bike.

That's not alot to fix.  But in the first pic, is that a bent sub-frame?

S

I would say get the bike if he still has it, but if I were you I'd try to get it even lower.... seeing how he revealed the damages after the asking price, even though $800 would already be a good deal.