Having trouble controlling wheelies

So I've finally got it together and can pop the front up. My problem is I have to twist the throttle so hard when it pops and my weight goes back it's hard to modulate the throttle and it wants to almost loop. I've had to get on the rear brake to get it down. I'm doing this is first gear because I can't seem to lift it more than 6 inches in second.

Any advice?

1st gear is no good for wheelies as your learning. Learn to pop it up in 2nd. Alot more controllable.

I almost flipped in first. I'm going to wait a long while before I try again.... Scared the cr@P out of me hahaaha

You're not really gonna get anywhere trying to do them in first..Like the other guys said, shift into second, ass on the strap and start practicing clutching up to the "sweet spot" (balance point). Key is smooth throttle..unlike 2 strokes where you kinda have to go crazy blipping the throttle, blip blip blip blip blip. It makes for a choppy uncontrolled wheelie.

Thanks for the input.

It was kinda sketchy in first. I'd smack the throttle and it would easily come up but then as the power rolled the bike up it made me roll the throttle more and the bike would come up even more and feel almost out of control. I guess I've got to practice clutching up second some more.

Any advice?

practice lots is the way to get better.....you will get better with experience ,...... learning from mistakes is how i did it...

Just keep at it .....and always cover your rear brake......

The slower the bike goes the less stable it will be......so 2nd gear speed is probably best to work at...

Adding some power mods will help with the initial "getting it up"....

Edited by Craigo

practice lots is the way to get better.....you will get better with experience ,...... learning from mistakes is how i did it...

Just keep at it .....and always cover your rear brake......

The slower the bike goes the less stable it will be......so 2nd gear speed is probably best to work at...

Adding some power mods will help with the initial "getting it up"....

thanks, I was able to lift the front a few inches just whacking the throttle in second today. I'm trying to get the whole clutch up deal but I haven't gotten the timing just right yet. The bike just jerks hard but doesn't lift

2nd gear and pull on the handlebar.

no clutch for me. (even when I was stock)

i started to do power wheelies in first then started 2nd gear clutch ups and now can ride them out through 4th, never was good at power wheelies... just practice 2nd gear clutch ups and eventually itll click and youll be able to pop it up on will...like mentioned before cover that brake learned the hard way! now my foot is glued to that thing lol.

I practiced some the past couple of days, and have gotten a lot better at clutching up second. I cannot seem to power up 2nd gear so matter how hard I pull on the bars.

Now I can clutch 2nd and it pops up about a foot pretty consistently I just have to work on carrying it because it just drops right back down. I catch myself leaning forward into it when it pops up every now and then so that's the next hurdle to get past

Edited by TheBeeDeeGee

Like everybody says start practicing 2nd gear clutch up wheelie , and if you really want to learn please gear up and be ready to fall ,thats how i learn wheres the balance point and loop point

Like everybody says start practicing 2nd gear clutch up wheelie , and if you really want to learn please gear up and be ready to fall ,thats how i learn wheres the balance point and loop point

Always fully geared and I practice in a sub division that hasn't started development yet (roads are in but no houses)

Yea i forgot about the place where its safe

So I've finally got it together and can pop the front up. My problem is I have to twist the throttle so hard when it pops and my weight goes back it's hard to modulate the throttle and it wants to almost loop. I've had to get on the rear brake to get it down. I'm doing this is first gear because I can't seem to lift it more than 6 inches in second.

Any advice?

Can you wheelie on a bicycle? Ride a wheelie on balance point?

When I was younger, wheelies on a 20" BMX was pretty easy. Nowadays I use a very crappy, heavy mountain bike to practice balance point wheelies. The crappier the mountain bike, the better. Bonus for generic, blown out "suspension". This translates pretty well to riding a motorcycle, as far as sensing balance point goes. It's really important to tune your senses and practice feeling the balance point.

Can you wheelie on a bicycle? Ride a wheelie on balance point?

When I was younger, wheelies on a 20" BMX was pretty easy. Nowadays I use a very crappy, heavy mountain bike to practice balance point wheelies. The crappier the mountain bike, the better. Bonus for generic, blown out "suspension". This translates pretty well to riding a motorcycle, as far as sensing balance point goes. It's really important to tune your senses and practice feeling the balance point.

If you can wheelie a pushy you can wheelie just about any motorcycle...... the rider's weight is so much over ratio to the weight of the bicycle so it's much more sensitive to movement of the body.....therefore less margin of error when holding balance point