Any short riders out there?

I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam, and I ride my Beta on trails but also dual sport with it- that requires a lot of stopping, putting your foot down, etc.

There are so many times (especially when I am using luggage) that I wish my bike were about an inch lower. I'm not an aggressive rider, and in 2 years, I don't think I've ever bottomed-out the suspension. The problem is, I don't live in an area where I can easily make changes and go for a test ride... I have to truck my bike for a couple hours to get to a spot, then ride on the road for a couple miles to get to "legal" trails. (They aren't really legal, but that's not the point.)

I don't really want to mess with raising the forks because I like the way the bike handles, and I've never had any headshake. (Changing the fork height seems like a slippery slope.) I like my Fisher seat, and I'm not switching to a seat with 1/2" of foam... I can't do 8 hour days like that.

I thought about lowering the suspension, but I don't know anything about it, and don't want to spend a bunch of money and make things worse. I'm on the stock springs- they seem to be good for my weight. Anyway, I've never messed with the suspension on any of my bikes, other than setting the sag and turning the clickers.

Should I consider paying someone to lower it? Losing an 3/4 or an inch of travel will probably not even matter to me. But, it gets frustrating when I'm tired and can barely get my leg over the seat to mount the thing.

I'm 5'7" w/30" inseam. I got the fastway linkage guard that lowers the back a little bit. raised up the forks to equal it out. I would recommend sending it out to be lowered. It's all about being comfortable. more comfortable, more enjoyable

Edited by randysoo

Ok, while I have a few Fisher friends on orange bikes, I know their seats are not one of the lowest. Would you say it's standard Beta in height? I know they make low seat options, just curious. As the seat is the first place to start, as you know.

While I'm not sure the thickness of all the manufacturers that build seats that are 1/2 inch thick (lol) but what seat concepts have done with their new (kinda) low seat/pan assembly is really what they advertise is 1" lower, and it has way more than a 1/2" of padding, in fact prior to buying one, I added the Gutz soft foam on the stock pan, this worked pretty nice, MUCH better than the OEM 2x4 pine wood foam. 

So I've field tested both seats, stock height with soft foam, and the Seat Concepts low seat complete assembly for many 100's of miles each, the Seat Concepts seat Rocks! Super comfy, stable and wider, and NO monkey butt! Truth is No one can make a low seat for a Beta without making a new pan, that's the plain truth. 

If you did that in conjunction with the FastWay linkage, now you got a 1.5" lower bike, yes you have to raise you tubes a 1/2" (big deal) not. So this way you keep the geometry the same as papa Beta designed it.

I wholeheartedly suggest not lowering a Beta internally. You are not starting with a bike that has 12" of travel, and I've done 2 modern bikes that did start with 12" of travel, both I changed back and both bikes were done by by top well-known suspension tuners. Lowering internally is a compromise, I guess if all you do is trail ride, well, hmmm, guess its ok...

But lowering a Beta internally I would be worried big time as it will NOT offer you the Beta ride, at all.

I'm traveling a bunch this year, if you want to pay the shipping both ways you can try out my Seat Concepts seat and try it for a week or two? 

I am even shorter at 5'5" with a 29 inseam. I will add the low seat concepts seat and the fastaway linkage guard to my Xtrainer when it gets here next week. I already have both at home for when the bike gets here. The low seat is more comfortable than any of my KTM's standard seats. i lowered my last KTM 200, 2" and that was a mistake even though I had it professionally done. If an 1 1/2 inches is enough i would definitely try that first.

I'm 5' 10", but I drink like I am 5'2"

I bought the Gutz foam when I got my Beta 2 years ago, because the stock seat was unbearable. I've tried Seat Concepts on at least one other bike (can't remember which) and thought it was ok, but not as  comfortable as my Fisher. (This is my second Fisher.) If I recall, the SC foam would compress after a while, and I could feel the pan (and, I'm skinny). I've never been happy with a "low" seat, and I've tried a couple (although not on my Beta).

As for linkage... I've never tried it on any bike, but have read way more opinions against it than for it. Heck, even Randy said he has it, but didn't recommend it. I realize that would be the cheapest, easiest fix (aside from the seat). Mark's comments reinforce my fear of sending out my suspension... aside from being expensive (probably 25-30% of my bike's value), it isn't easily reversible. Plus, it doesn't add any value (if I ever decide to sell).

Maybe I'll research linkage... if I didn't like it, I could probably sell it and go back to stock.

Maybe I'll research linkage... if I didn't like it, I could probably sell it and go back to stock.

Buy the Fastway skidplate link. It has eccentrics that adjust from stock to +2mm. If you don't like it on the short setting put it back to stock. You'll still get all of the skidplate benefits.

I have one on my 15 300RR at the deepest setting which drops about 3/4" set height and forks raised to the 4th groove. The bike handles great, just like stock. I'm 5'8"/ 30" inseam and can flatfoot both at the same time. If you added a lowered seat I guarantee you'd love it. Plus it's relatively cheap and 100% reversible.

I understand your thoughts about linkages, and most "good" suspension tuners warn against them and I agree!

But the FastWay only lowers your bike a 1/2" no matter what you do with it, and it's a linkage guard also.

I would never recommend a Kubo or anything that changes the rear suspension any more than 1/2" in the rear, and dropping the tubes a 1/2" especially if you are not bottoming it out now will never have an issue with.  

But remember unless you've tried the new SeatConcepts low/wide seat, you've not tried what their new design of Beta seat is all about, I know $254.00 is not cheap, but it is a great thing, at least in my mind.

I ride a lot of nasty weird single track or no-track in the Sierra's, lots of off-chamber slippery, 1st gear stuff, trail blazing deer trails and while it's not a smart idea I ride by myself a lot. so I want to feel secure, real secure in knowing I can 2-foot it slowly/safely with proper balance, and I can on my 450RS, with just the seat.

Just for kicks, I checked SC's site, and they don't make a low-wide seat for my bike (2010 RR). I wonder why the seats for the newer models cost $95 more?

Another option is cutting down the subframe. You can also go to a upholstery shop and have the foam shaved. I know a few guys disagree but you can have the suspension lowered with very little compromise (other than being much stiffer at the end of travel) in the handling. It's all in the valving and spring rate. 

I vote going 1" lower suspension route along with spring rate and valving. I see you don't want to change the seat foam. That's cool. 

Edited by ballisticexchris

The reason as previously stated is it is a complete assembly, new wide pan/locking mechanism/cover/foam all assembled, 10 second installation.

I'd call them to say you have the new generation bike and see what they say.

I would have thought they would fit. Sorry.....

Just for kicks, I checked SC's site, and they don't make a low-wide seat for my bike (2010 RR). I wonder why the seats for the newer models cost $95 more?

The reason as previously stated is it is a complete assembly, new wide pan/locking mechanism/cover/foam all assembled, 10 second installation.

I'd call them to say you have the new generation bike and see what they say.

I would have thought they would fit. Sorry.....

Oh, I missed that... didn't realize they included a new pan. I'll shoot them an email. Thanks.

if you happen to use Sidi Boots with with the good soles ( replaceable) take them to the local shoe repair shop and you can have them add a half inch to three quarters to the soles (Fred Munster Boots) trust me no one will notice,been doing it for 40 years.

malhusky

Shave the subframe? I'd never do that... don't have the skills, and I like to be able to easily reverse things (which is a big reason I'm leery of sending the suspension out).

I emailed SC, and they don't make a low wide seat for my model. Too bad, I probably would have tried it, since I could keep my current seat as a backup.

I emailed Fastway and asked how much lower the linkage plate can get, and they said only 1/2 inch. Not sure if that's worth the trouble. (I thought it might be closer to an inch.) 

Boots? I never would've thought of that. I can't wear Sidis because I have wide feet (I wear Gaerne). Seems like that would make shifting, braking, etc kinda weird. I guess if you are used to it, maybe it doesn't seem so strange? Looks like there are replacement soles for my SG-10's... that's an interesting idea.

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I just got back from the doctor, and my broken leg is still broken. Ugh. Guess it's gonna be a while before I can ride. Plenty of time to think about things, though. (Yes, I'm going crazy, haha.)

just adjust your shift/brake lever.  (the peace of mind of being able to touch the ground is everything), unless your are Malcolm Smith!

Malhusky

Shave the subframe? I'd never do that... don't have the skills, and I like to be able to easily reverse things (which is a big reason I'm leery of sending the suspension out).

I emailed SC, and they don't make a low wide seat for my model. Too bad, I probably would have tried it, since I could keep my current seat as a backup.

I emailed Fastway and asked how much lower the linkage plate can get, and they said only 1/2 inch. Not sure if that's worth the trouble. (I thought it might be closer to an inch.) 

Boots? I never would've thought of that. I can't wear Sidis because I have wide feet (I wear Gaerne). Seems like that would make shifting, braking, etc kinda weird. I guess if you are used to it, maybe it doesn't seem so strange? Looks like there are replacement soles for my SG-10's... that's an interesting idea.

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I just got back from the doctor, and my broken leg is still broken. Ugh. Guess it's gonna be a while before I can ride. Plenty of time to think about things, though. (Yes, I'm going crazy, haha.)

At least your old enough that you can't get grounded. I had a compound fracture and dislocated ankle from a get off when I was 13. The first day home from the hospital I was caught by my mom riding my bike in the woods with a full leg cast. Nothing like starting the first week of summer vacation with a cast and being grounded for a month. My brother even got grounded for starting the bike for me since I couldn't kick it over with the cast. The good old days. :ride:

At least your old enough that you can't get grounded. I had a compound fracture and dislocated ankle from a get off when I was 13. The first day home from the hospital I was caught by my mom riding my bike in the woods with a full leg cast. Nothing like starting the first week of summer vacation with a cast and being grounded for a month. My brother even got grounded for starting the bike for me since I couldn't kick it over with the cast. The good old days. :ride:

Haha, you just reminded me of when I was a kid, I had a broken ankle with a cast. I was riding my dirtbike (obviously, with no shoe on that foot) and broke my toe! My mom was so pissed!

Now that you mention it, I don't know how I started my bike with a cast on my right leg... probably bumped it, I guess.

Call Les at LT suspension and talk to him about lowering your suspension. It is reversable if you don't like it, and it will not screw up your steering geometry. It is worth the conversation at least.

I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam, and I ride my Beta on trails but also dual sport with it- that requires a lot of stopping, putting your foot down, etc.

There are so many times (especially when I am using luggage) that I wish my bike were about an inch lower. I'm not an aggressive rider, and in 2 years, I don't think I've ever bottomed-out the suspension. The problem is, I don't live in an area where I can easily make changes and go for a test ride... I have to truck my bike for a couple hours to get to a spot, then ride on the road for a couple miles to get to "legal" trails. (They aren't really legal, but that's not the point.)

I don't really want to mess with raising the forks because I like the way the bike handles, and I've never had any headshake. (Changing the fork height seems like a slippery slope.) I like my Fisher seat, and I'm not switching to a seat with 1/2" of foam... I can't do 8 hour days like that.

I thought about lowering the suspension, but I don't know anything about it, and don't want to spend a bunch of money and make things worse. I'm on the stock springs- they seem to be good for my weight. Anyway, I've never messed with the suspension on any of my bikes, other than setting the sag and turning the clickers.

Should I consider paying someone to lower it? Losing an 3/4 or an inch of travel will probably not even matter to me. But, it gets frustrating when I'm tired and can barely get my leg over the seat to mount the thing.

I'm 5'7" & a 29" inseam also. I ride technical stuff where my toes MUST reach the ground to keep it from taking a nap in the boulders. I had Dick's Racing lower my 2011 520RS front & rear suspensions 1.5". As long as you lower both ends the SAME amount, you will not have bad effects on handling or weight bias.

Dick retired & is no longer in business, but some other suspension shops will do the same. Shop around,

For a cheap try with only a little shorter, raise the forks in the triple clamps to the 3rd mark & increase static sag in the rear by the same amount.

Good luck,

Catfish ...

I got caught riding my CR250 around the neighborhood in a full arm cast after I put my wrist to the same elbow in freshman football. To this day I have zero idea how I was able to pull that clutch. Motivated I guess...

These days I don't even ride if it's raining lol.