Sign in to follow this  

How to make the CRF quiet...tell the truth

Research has said to use: CRF 250x can; FMF Q4; DB Dawg insert. I called a guy with an FMF (not sure which model), and he says he thinks it is as loud as stock. True or not. The bike will be street legal and used to do some sightseeing in national parks, then parked at a cabin for limited street use. . Quiet would be nice for the other tourists. Any opinions on these choices. I wonder if I could put a DB in a FMF. Side note: apparently I can get AZ street legal plates thru the mail. Don't know yet if I have to have AZ address and driver's license.

stock pipe and muffler with the stock baffle is rather quite.

if you want more:

thicken up the head gasket get the compression ratio down to about 6 or 7:1 and mount a throttle stop

oops. I forgot...

adding a mega bomb type head pipe (one with expanded section of pipe) will also soften the noise

make a turndown for the end of the pipe so the exhaust shoots toward the ground instead of straight back. that can make a huge difference

Adnohguy and I went to the local auto speed shop and bought a "u" bend section of exhaust tubing (1 1/2" I believe) Cut it mid bend and slipped it into the stock muffler, sealed it with hi temp silicone and secured it with a screw. It doesn't turn down toward the ground but rather is aimed basically parallel to the ground. I have two bikes with this mod.  They are street legal and they are very quiet.  I have a 3rd with a BBR system without the mod. The BBR is loud and I see no performance improvement with the BBR over the stock system. Guy may have a picture. My opinion; aside from its weight, the OEM system is best for this application.

ST O.D. 

Edited by SacTown Old Dude
  • Like 1

Research has said to use: CRF 250x can; FMF Q4; DB Dawg insert. I called a guy with an FMF (not sure which model), and he says he thinks it is as loud as stock. True or not. The bike will be street legal and used to do some sightseeing in national parks, then parked at a cabin for limited street use. . Quiet would be nice for the other tourists. Any opinions on these choices. I wonder if I could put a DB in a FMF. Side note: apparently I can get AZ street legal plates thru the mail. Don't know yet if I have to have AZ address and driver's license.

The Q4 is very quiet and lighter than stock.

Put it back the way it came from The Honda Factory in Brazil, jut like it was sold on the showroom floor.

You do not nee a $2-500.00 exhaust system to make it any more quiet than stock and still expect it to run properly.

adnohguy....Bobby said I just missed you last time I was at the new shop. Lots goin on in my retired life. Looks like we maybe moving to Tyler Texas area. Building a retirement home in California is a bureaucratic nightmare and the cost is ridiculous.  And the politics... well

ST O.D.

• Like 1

adnohguy....Bobby said I just missed you last time I was at the new shop. Lots goin on in my retired life. Looks like we maybe moving to Tyler Texas area. Building a retirement home in California is a bureaucratic nightmare and the cost is ridiculous. And the politics... well

ST O.D.

Sorry I missed you! Hope fully you can find an area that's cooler during at least some times of the year?

Yes, Cali is great for a short vacation but the bureaucracy is charging a large toll on anyone that lives here.

Building a retirement home in California is a bureaucratic nightmare and the cost is ridiculous.  And the politics... well

Yes, Cali is great for a short vacation but the bureaucracy is charging a large toll on anyone that lives here.

I left the left coast back in 77...dad's complaining of the same back then...

I bet its just stupid these days...

• Like 1

kyrral lets clarify.  Are we talking about about a CRF150F 150R or 230?. The advice given relates to 150F and 230 models only. The150R is a different beast altogether and has a separate and specific forum.

ST O.D.