Best $1500 of mods on 06 WR450?

Hello All,

I found my way to TT last year having stumbled on an old Honda xl650 leg breaker.The good news is that through the sale of that beast and an old Kawi Z1B, I find myself now with a 2006 WR 450 and a pocket full of dough! The bike seems to be in good shape but has been motarded. I've got the stock wheels, tires, etc. and will be switching it back to a mudder/dual sport in the hope of a Baja run in November. Mostly though I will be riding it more like an in town dual sport with offroading as it presents itself. ( watch classifieds for wheels, tires, rotors, sprocket, chain and fender)

I have to admit to being a bit of a dirt bike newb...last one I owned and really rode was a Hodaka Super Rat in in about 1979. The WR is such a refined machine in comparison it seems a bit silly to even talk about modifications! But I'm all grown and thats one of the prerogatives of survival - you get to do silly things with your extra $$.

I've spent a couple hours reading up on the WR and have come to this:

Do the free mods

Clutch upgrade - everyones hot for the Rekluse...why? Any other brand offering thee same type of clutch? I thinks it's because I can shorten the gearing for more top speed ( without ruining the tranny) yet still have a manageable off road machine.

14 - 48 gearing

Larger fuel tank

I reckon that uses up about half my budget. What else would you do?

Thanks for having me,  Steve

If you are going to do any significant amount of offroading on it, use that remaining cash for a good suspension re-valve to fit the style of riding you want: plushness vs. enduro capable

Also a FMF Q4 pipe, quiet and helps the power.

The wr is one bike that doesn't need a rekluse. It has the button.   If it stalls, then use your right thumb and restart it.    The stock clutch is great.

Try 14-47 gearing and it will crawl very nicely in 1st gear, reducing the need for the rekluse.   14-48 is good too... 

Get the carb setup correctly with all the stuff it needs  (spring, diaphram, adjustable leak jet, etc...).     

suspension, suspension, suspension.   When I had my 05 wr, I preferred it a bit stiffer and to sit high in the stroke.  That bike is heavy and it could get bouncy which will make it feel even heavier.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. It appears all the free stuff has already been done and it's got a FMF Q4 full pipe and slip on.

My only confusion is if the three pin electrical connector that is unplugged on the left side ( just above the carb) is the throttle position sensor??

I'm going to read up on suspension mods and will definitely spend some time and dollars there.

With the 14-48 will it still be capable of doing some time on the pavement without tearing up the tranny?

Sorry...still have questions! The ebay link is to YZ fork goodies. Is most YZ and WR stuff interchangeable?

Edited by stevets

Thanks for all the responses. It appears all the free stuff has already been done and it's got a FMF Q4 full pipe and slip on.

My only confusion is if the three pin electrical connector that is unplugged on the left side ( just above the carb) is the throttle position sensor??

I'm going to read up on suspension mods and will definitely spend some time and dollars there.

With the 14-48 will it still be capable of doing some time on the pavement without tearing up the tranny?

Sorry...still have questions! The ebay link is to YZ fork goodies. Is most YZ and WR stuff interchangeable?

If you look at the ebay thread it says ' 2006 YZ 250/450'

Those forks and shocks are the only SSS models that are a direct fit.

Often you see used ones for as low as $250

You can sell your WR forks for upwards of $250 too !

A gold valve kit is a upgrade, but a cartridge fork is nirvana.