Sign in to follow this  

California 2T rear Desert tire

so, AT81 this time or stick with my desert IT? notice I don't get the traction on the 250 that I do on my thumper when I drop inbto a wash. I should use the clutch more I gues but what about tire preference? just been slapping on my used race tires on to the 2t might spring for it's own tire this time. what so YOU?

I wont try the at81 so I dunno, but I don't like the maxis it on the 2t.. no traction... I just run moto x tires

• Like 1

I run AT81rc w a tubliss system on my CR250...great traction! But then again at 3psi I could run almost any tire w good results...as long as it has a stiff enough side wall. Fly wheel weight helps too. And porting!

I run the 120/80-18 AT-81 (reinforced carcass version) on the YZ.

Traction is really good, but not a super long life.

The Maxxis lasts a long time but traction leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 2

so, AT81 this time or stick with my desert IT? notice I don't get the traction on the 250 that I do on my thumper when I drop inbto a wash. I should use the clutch more I gues but what about tire preference? just been slapping on my used race tires on to the 2t might spring for it's own tire this time. what so YOU?

Put a 300 kit on it and it don't matter. TERRAFLEX if you can find one.

• Like 1

I have never been a Dunlop fan until I tried the AT81 rc. It was all I could get a hold of in a pinch and now I'm sold. It hooks up well in a variety of terrain hasn't seemed to chunk and with the stiff sidewalls it's perfect with bibs. I'm on my 3rd one and will be getting a 4th. Now I have a tread doctor as well so I'm gonna make these babies go the distance.

• Like 2

Put a 300 kit on it and it don't matter. TERRAFLEX if you can find one.

you know I want one but tire for now 1000$ motor upgrade after a while

I think i'll try the 110 at81rc

I've been seriously testing tires for the past several months...  I'd offer you some good feedback...  but I only discuss tires in ride threads.   :smirk:

How many rides on that one? Vikings too?

8, later when I get home I'll take another pic see how it looked after the race. Chunked a little but even know it was worn a little hooked up well: But I have 4 stroke so...

I have friends that love both. I have not used the AT yet, but I have always been happy with the IT over the years. No tire will change the way a 2T and 4T put power to the ground. They are two completely different motors as you know.

The AT81 front is one of the best front tires I've ever used.  I thought the rear (110 AT81RC) was great in sand but sacrificed a lot everywhere else.  Running the low pressure was nice, but it still skated around on rocks a lot more than I'd like.  Was running 5psi tubeless rear, 7-8 psi tubeless up front.

I got a couple sets of the Bridgestone X30's and REALLY impressed with them so far.  Just very predictable in corners.  I can definitely tell they don't have nearly the same sidewall as the AT81's though.

The Desert IT was really hard and skittish, and I didn't care for the squared off profile of the tire.  Some people do, some people don't.  Depends on your cornering style I guess.

The Kenda Parker DT is a good compromise of the above I've found and still has a really burly sidewall.  More rounded profile, good on rocks, good on sand, doesn't quite hook up like an X30 on fast sweepers, but it's also a harder compound I think.

• Like 4

With the super flexy tread area of the AT81s...  it just works better with a bib.  

Not impressed at all with the durability of the Bridgestone X30 front tire. The carcass is very thin in the tread area. I usually ride desert and Angeles forest trails with my 500EXC. I was riding in a wooded area and ended up flatting the front tire. Upon inspection, two 1/8" sticks pierced the center of the tread. I have never seen this with any other tires I have run riding in the area and I have been riding there for about 20 years. The rear held up well for a little while but tires don't last long on my 500. I feel the rear would work well on a 250 2t though but I don't trust the durability of the front tire enough to run it again.

• Like 1

FWIW..

Ran the Dunlop 739 w/Tubeliss at 5 or less PSI, liked it. After it was no longer available, switched to the AT 81, same Tubeliss set up, didn't really like it, it just didn't hook up like the 739 did. Am now running the Sedona MX 907 w/Tubeliss @ 5 psi (has the goofy tread pattern) and it hooks up as well as my trials tire, does well in snow, loose crap and I plan on taking it to the desert next fall. Great tire IMO.

• Like 1

I called Dunlop to order some new meat last week and was very surprised to see that the ONLY tire they offer in an 18" these days is the AT81. I think it's a great tire but I might be looking elsewhere after my supply of rears goes dry