Sign in to follow this  

Bike Recommendations?

Hey all, long time lurker. I just registered today.

About Me:

-5'7" 135LBS w/o Gear

Prior Bike Experience:

-H-D Nightster 1200

-H-D V-Rod

I currently own a 2014 Triumph Street Triple R and I love it over the H-D's since they were so heavy and I hated muscling the bike around. The Triumph is such a breeze to ride in comparison and I'm more then satisfied with the power.

I have not ridden a dirt bike before but its something I want to get into around Colorado and Moab, Utah. I do have a lot of Mountain Biking experience which I would think some would translate over into riding trails. (I've done Slickrock, and other very technical trails on my MTB without issue.)

I'm trying to decide what kind of bike I should get for trail riding. Preferably something cheap and reliable and will work on the majority of the trails. I just don't want to be stuck somewhere because the bike couldn't do something. I'm like that on my MTB I push on rather then stop and turn around.

Seems like a 125-250 2 stroke or 4 stroke would work fine. Id prefer 2k or less since I would have to fill out my riding gear for some more off road specific gear. So key would be low maintenance and want to avoid trouble free models of specific years. I could rent a bike for the first trip which is 4 days but that would be about 400 bucks out of the gate so I'm debating just grabbing a used model instead.

Thanks for any advice.

-dx

For that price don't even consider the 4 strokes (unless it's a trail bike), since you already have experience with on-road bike, and with MTB's I'd recommend a 250 2 stroke.  

For that price don't even consider the 4 strokes (unless it's a trail bike), since you already have experience with on-road bike, and with MTB's I'd recommend a 250 2 stroke.  

Yeah, I was originally looking more at the 125 2 stroke but they may take too much of a hit in power out here since the altitude is higher then other places. The price difference between the 125 and 250 isn't very much as well. Thanks for the input!

-dx

Yeah, I was originally looking more at the 125 2 stroke but they may take too much of a hit in power out here since the altitude is higher then other places. The price difference between the 125 and 250 isn't very much as well. Thanks for the input!

-dx

Well if you re-jet the bike it should be fine, I love my 125, but I think a 250 would be a better bike for you.

Honestly,get a Husky 144 or ktm 200, or gasgas 200

Edited by Retromlc

With those stats you'd be crazy not to look at a KDX. 1996 to 2004 are the same bike both 200 and 220cc. You can typically get a very nice one for $1500-2000.

They are a great bike to learn on and keep for a few years.

• Like 1

Sweet. I'll keep an eye on those suggested models on Craigslist and go from there. Thanks for the input all it gives me a good base to work from. 

-dx