Sign in to follow this  

Air box mod/exhaust baffle

Hi I was wondering will it hurt my crf230 if I remove the air box snorkel?

What is the snorkel doing is it protecting my filter and my engine?

And if I remove the exhaust baffle will this hurt anything?

"UnCorking your 230 along with re-jetting the carburetor, will really wake up your bike with a pleasant boost in performance that will only be slightly louder, depending how you ride, altitude and average air temperature that you usually ride in.

• Like 1

The Intake Restrictor increases signal across the carb circuits and acts as a partial choke.  If you remove it without increasing the main jet appropriately your carb will meter dangerously lean.  You MUST increase the main jet to a 118/120 if riding at sea level without the intake restrictor.

Thank you for your replies

So if I remove the air box snorkel WITHOUT rejetting the carb will run lean and Damage the engine.

If I remove the exhaust baffle will it damage anything?

Edited by GUMBE RACING

the snorkel is there to protect your intake system in the event of a deeper water ford..

if your riding crosses streams creeks or shallow rivers, be advised if your snorkel is not present you may ingest some water.

any change in the restriction of air flow up stream or down stream of the cylinder will affect the fuel air mixture to some degree.

I know others hear will dispute me, but IMO removing the snorkel is not that significant and you should be able to tune out any carburation issues.

I feel that pulling the baffle out carries a bigger impact (but offsets the snorkel removal somewhat).

if you perform both changes you are likely going to need to size up the jets.

but this should be done by testing observations in your area, not by "Jimmy uses a 180 main" etc...

consider your change, test for lean pop, perform a spark plug test, test for bogging, surging, hesitation, flat spots and look at tail pipe for nice grey soot.

I Disagree, the air inlet restrictor is there for one purpose only...

Noise!

Manufactures have to abide by mandated noise restrictions in order to sell the bikes in some states.

They also had to reduce the carb jet size in order to balance the lack of available air flow to the engine.

Since they realize that will reduce power output, (lucky for us riders/owners/tuners) they designed an easy to remove restrictor to the air filter box and in the outlet of the exhaust. When combined with increased jet sizes that match the increased air supply, your 230f will be much more enjoyable to ride, with the largest improvement, more available power.