Moving on, goodbye to DRZ

Years back, I went to a Suzuki demo day. Among the bikes I sampled that day, was a Suzuki DR-Z 400SM. I can't even remember what other bikes I rode that day, that much it impressed me. Suddenly, I was enamoured of supermoto, and I wanted a DR-Z. But circumstances - the thing that seperates us...

I ended up with a DR-650SE after moving away for school. It served me well, as a decent dual sport capable of those 2,000 km round trip visits home (and plenty of detours in between).

01.jpg?raw=1

The DR was a good all-rounder that can cover big distance.

After my Masters, I moved back home to pursuit a PhD. Around this time my brother got a DR-Z400SM and started hitting the local kart track regularly We lived equal distance between school and track. Twenty some minutes in opposite directions. Back then I was still riding the DR. One day I decided to spoon on some BT-45s and join him.

02.jpg?raw=1

The DR650 in sportsman guise.

Soon after, I bought my DR-Z, threw on a FCR and a Yoshimura RS-2, and ordered a set of dirt wheels from Wheeling Cycle Supply to keep one food in the dirt. I stole all the good parts off my brother's DR-Z as he was moving to a Yamaha WR250X.

03.jpg?raw=1

Finally, my own DR-Z, in dirt and SM trim.

Life was good. We commuted on our bikes daily. Whenever the sun was blazing and work was slow, we’d slink our way to F440. Once in a while we’d go on a dual sport ride, and I'd still take an occasional trip on it. My brother started racing with BC Supermoto, and I started going to their practice nights, but primarily, I rode F440.

04.jpg?raw=1

F440, a place of no cares and no preps.

F440 was old-school ghetto, but riotously fun; however the good time was not to last. A brand new development was springing up in the area. After resisting the buy out for a year, the owner caved and sold his remaining lease for millions. F440 was no more.

05.jpg?raw=1

F440. After the pavement’s been torn down.

After losing F440, I went to every BC Supermoto practice night I could. Soon, I started racing with them as well.

06.jpg?raw=1

BC Supermoto.

Along the way my brother and I discovered Greg Moore Raceway, a superb 1.2 km FIA spec’d kart track 90 minutes away that welcomed supermoto (as long as they meet sound - 88 dB at 100 ft).

07.jpg?raw=1

Greg Moore Raceway. The DR-Z’s new home.

Gradually, the DR-Z became more and more stripped down. I even laced up a 5 inch rim just to run slicks. Eventually street riding no longer made sense to me, so a couple of years ago I stopped renewing my insurance and became a bit of a track rat.

08.jpg?raw=1

The DR-Z, no longer street registered.

Long story short, the DR-Z and I did much together. From arenacross,

09.jpg?raw=1

Arenacross.ca track rental is the perfect winter getaway.

to motocross,

10.jpg?raw=1

Out of my elements. Left, riding the Horn Rapid MX track. Right, Popkum Motor Park.

to endurocross,

11.jpg?raw=1

Popkum Motor Park has a sweet endurocross track.

We did some light touring,

12.jpg?raw=1

Long weekend trip to Olympic Peninsula.

and some dual sporting,

13.jpg?raw=1

I usually end up falling on my face on every dual sport ride.

It was good for hooning too.

14.jpg?raw=1

Hoon responsibly. The parking lot was about to be built over.

But mostly, we rode a lot of supermoto.

15.jpg?raw=1

Left, the one and only time SIMA let us on their track. Middle, trip to TCKC. Right BC Supermoto’s sweet street jump. Bottom, more BC Supermoto.

Along the way I met a great many great people who shared the same passion. And so the story goes for the most versatile bike I’ve ever owned, but now I’m ready to move on.

16.jpg?raw=1

It followed me home! Honestly!

So... soon for sale: one DRZ-400SM. Never abused.

Edited by DoctorLove

!! What a great exit. Great read, thank you.

Barely ridden, only on Sundays, to and from church, adult owned, only dropped once in the garage right?

Just rebuilt the motor! 20 minutes ago!

pics aren't loading for me

Why cant you have both, just sayin

pics aren't loading for me

Hmmm, I'm not sure what's wrong (pictures are hosted on my dropbox), but here's the entire thing mirrored.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what's wrong (pictures are hosted on my dropbox), but here's the entire thing mirrored.

Pictures work for me.

Cool story, good luck with the new ride!

Ohhhhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Me goin to miss da DoctorRove :( Oh wait, you and Jackie need to come out here for some fun. I need the Doctors magic hands ;)

I am bummed that Greg Moore won't allow me to ride there. Hoping to bang some bars with you and Jack.

Oh and Henry, that is one damned badass exit thread!

I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo can't wait to see you out here again on your new STEED!

Versatility. What originally sold me on the DRZ.

Awesome story. Thanks for posting.

Ah the images are linked through dropbox and dropbox is blocked at my work so couldn't see the pics. Nice story! Love the versatility of the drz , it can't do anything well but able to do anything you throw at it and still be very reliable  :ride:

I knew the DRZ is capable of many things.... but I didn't think it can be so versatile as you described it. Supermoto, motocross, endurocross, touring and hooliganing. This bike can do anything! Now after seeing your pics I am even more happy that I choose the path with the DRZ. Thanks!

Nice read!

Years back, I went to a Suzuki demo day. Among the bikes I sampled that day, was a Suzuki DR-Z 400SM. I can't even remember what other bikes I rode that day, that much it impressed me. Suddenly, I was enamoured of supermoto, and I wanted a DR-Z. But circumstances - the thing that seperates us...

I ended up with a DR-650SE after moving away for school. It served me well, as a decent dual sport capable of those 2,000 km round trip visits home (and plenty of detours in between).

01.jpg?raw=1

The DR was a good all-rounder that can cover big distance.

After my Masters, I moved back home to pursuit a PhD. Around this time my brother got a DR-Z400SM and started hitting the local kart track regularly We lived equal distance between school and track. Twenty some minutes in opposite directions. Back then I was still riding the DR. One day I decided to spoon on some BT-45s and join him.

02.jpg?raw=1

The DR650 in sportsman guise.

Soon after, I bought my DR-Z, threw on a FCR and a Yoshimura RS-2, and ordered a set of dirt wheels from Wheeling Cycle Supply to keep one food in the dirt. I stole all the good parts off my brother's DR-Z as he was moving to a Yamaha WR250X.

03.jpg?raw=1

Finally, my own DR-Z, in dirt and SM trim.

Life was good. We commuted on our bikes daily. Whenever the sun was blazing and work was slow, we’d slink our way to F440. Once in a while we’d go on a dual sport ride, and I'd still take an occasional trip on it. My brother started racing with BC Supermoto, and I started going to their practice nights, but primarily, I rode F440.

04.jpg?raw=1

F440, a place of no cares and no preps.

F440 was old-school ghetto, but riotously fun; however the good time was not to last. A brand new development was springing up in the area. After resisting the buy out for a year, the owner caved and sold his remaining lease for millions. F440 was no more.

05.jpg?raw=1

F440. After the pavement’s been torn down.

After losing F440, I went to every BC Supermoto practice night I could. Soon, I started racing with them as well.

06.jpg?raw=1

BC Supermoto.

Along the way my brother and I discovered Greg Moore Raceway, a superb 1.2 km FIA spec’d kart track 90 minutes away that welcomed supermoto (as long as they meet sound - 88 dB at 100 ft).

07.jpg?raw=1

Greg Moore Raceway. The DR-Z’s new home.

Gradually, the DR-Z became more and more stripped down. I even laced up a 5 inch rim just to run slicks. Eventually street riding no longer made sense to me, so a couple of years ago I stopped renewing my insurance and became a bit of a track rat.

08.jpg?raw=1

The DR-Z, no longer street registered.

Long story short, the DR-Z and I did much together. From arenacross,

09.jpg?raw=1

Arenacross.ca track rental is the perfect winter getaway.

to motocross,

10.jpg?raw=1

Out of my elements. Left, riding the Horn Rapid MX track. Right, Popkum Motor Park.

to endurocross,

11.jpg?raw=1

Popkum Motor Park has a sweet endurocross track.

We did some light touring,

12.jpg?raw=1

Long weekend trip to Olympic Peninsula.

and some dual sporting,

13.jpg?raw=1

I usually end up falling on my face on every dual sport ride.

It was good for hooning too.

14.jpg?raw=1

Hoon responsibly. The parking lot was about to be built over.

But mostly, we rode a lot of supermoto.

15.jpg?raw=1

Left, the one and only time SIMA let us on their track. Middle, trip to TCKC. Right BC Supermoto’s sweet street jump. Bottom, more BC Supermoto.

Along the way I met a great many great people who shared the same passion. And so the story goes for the most versatile bike I’ve ever owned, but now I’m ready to move on.

16.jpg?raw=1

It followed me home! Honestly!

So... soon for sale: one DRZ-400SM. Never abused.

Great read and it's awesome to see everything you pulled off on the DRZ, impressive!! Also nice move snagging the WR.. I sold my DRZ for a 11' WR250f.. No regrets at all!

Great read and killer pics Doc!  Safe to say that you enjoyed the ride.

Funny, you started on a DR 650. Lately I've been looking for one of those for longer distance street use.