Looking for Piston Options?

I called Wossner today to discuss availability of their Pistons for CRF230s. They manufacture the Pistons in Germany and usually have the 67mm over bore on the shelf. This piston comes as a kit with the rings and pin, although the website doesn't specify. Their price was $150 for the kit which is actually very good. They also have the gasket kits with matching head gaskets. They ship a lot of these to Brazil and this size is very popular. It's also the same size as the BBR kit which is currently not available and the Wossner looks to be higher quality and lighter. They list a range from stock 65.5mm to 2mm overbore in .5mm increments. It's nice to know there are options out there for our bikes.

I called Wossner today to discuss availability of their Pistons for CRF230s. They manufacture the Pistons in Germany and usually have the 67mm over bore on the shelf. This piston comes as a kit with the rings and pin, although the website doesn't specify. Their price was $150 for the kit which is actually very good. They also have the gasket kits with matching head gaskets. They ship a lot of these to Brazil and this size is very popular. It's also the same size as the BBR kit which is currently not available and the Wossner looks to be higher quality and lighter. They list a range from stock 65.5mm to 2mm overbore in .5mm increments. It's nice to know there are options out there for our bikes.

All good information except that they are definitely not lighter than the BBR piston kit. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430355334.988562.jpg

Stock OEM (Cast) piston rings pin and clips.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430355613.051950.jpg

BBR (Cast) 67mm piston, rings pin and clips (and with an oil coating and carbon build up on the crown as well)

Having never touched or looked at a (Forged) 67mm Wossner, I'm not sure how many grams it weighs complete with rings, pin and clips?

But did get a message from Titanman about the weight of the piston only, but that's not the true weight in the real world without the rings, pin and clips being included.

Any help out there?

Edited by adnohguy

The Wossner is forged and the BBR is cast.  I weighted the Wossner piston at 137g on my machinist scale which was lighter than the Wiseco by several grams from what Vortec got with the Wiseco.  I cant remember the exact numbers but it is posted in a thread some where. 

The Wossner is forged and the BBR is cast. I weighted the Wossner piston at 137g on my machinist scale which was lighter than the Wiseco by several grams from what Vortec got with the Wiseco. I cant remember the exact numbers but it is posted in a thread some where.

Hey Titanman thanks for contributing again. Yes BBR pistons are cast, just like stock and every air cooled Honda 4t piston's have always has been.

You thinking that there is some sort of problem if there not forged or something?

Sorry about the misinformation about piston weight, I didn't realize the weight I was referencing was with the piston alone. The main point I was trying to make is these Pistons are available in a variety of sizes and come in a complete kit for a very good price. I was beating the bushes to find a BBR kit and had no luck at all. I didn't realize these Pistons were out there, and available in a variety of over bore sizes to boot. Wossner sells a lot of these piston kits to Brazil where the CRF230 has a loyal following. Food for thought.

Hey Titanman thanks for contributing again. Yes BBR pistons are cast, just like stock and every air cooled Honda 4t piston's have always has been.

You thinking that there is some sort of problem if there not forged or something?

Nothing wrong with a "quality"cast piston for stock to mild builds. If you noticed in other post I'm in the process of building a BBR 240 motor now. Now if I'm building a bullet proof motor with high compression a forged piston would be my choice as most others would likely agree.