2015 FE 350 break in.

Just got a new 2015 FE 350. Manual says basically go easy on it for the first few hours. As far as oil change it says change after 1 hour, then 3 hours then every 15 hours. What is the significance of the 1 hour change? Some guys say you can go 200-300 miles before the first change. I like to stick by the manual and my thought is if they tell you to do something it must be for a reason. 

Just got a new 2015 FE 350. Manual says basically go easy on it for the first few hours. As far as oil change it says change after 1 hour, then 3 hours then every 15 hours. What is the significance of the 1 hour change? Some guys say you can go 200-300 miles before the first change. I like to stick by the manual and my thought is if they tell you to do something it must be for a reason.

my 500 sees a lot of street, the first hour or 60 miles was all street, where I would normally run a street bike 300 miles for the first dump. 60 miles on the street the the oil was EXTREMELY nasty. Normally 300 miles on a streetbike is not bad at all.

Point being, change it at 1 hour or 50 /60 miles street on this bike, don't do 15 hour intervals until atleast 1000 miles, try 200, the extend to 500 ect.

and if you offroad only I would forget 15 hour intervals all together and cut them in half.

I use the engine braking hard to seat the rings for the first 20-30 miles. After this the rings are basically seated. Easy riding with no long periods of WOT for then next 100 miles. Change oil 1-3 hrs, then after another 3 hrs and then go every 7-10 hrs depending on off road use. Don't forget the fuel filter every 10-15 hrs of off road use. While there drain coolant, flush and add Engine Ice or Evans. Did your dealer set the TPS to .64v +/-???

Remove your gas tank check valve on the vent line!

Edited by weantright

I use the engine braking hard to seat the rings for the first 20-30 miles. After this the rings are basically seated. Easy riding with no long periods of WOT for then next 100 miles. Change oil 1-3 hrs, then after another 3 hrs and then go every 7-10 hrs depending on off road use. Don't forget the fuel filter every 10-15 hrs of off road use. While there drain coolant, flush and add Engine Ice or Evans. Did your dealer set the TPS to .64v +/-???

Remove your gas tank check valve on the vent line!

Thanks for the info. Don't think the dealer set the TPS. Dirt Bike Magazine said it should be .596 a friend said he read an article said it should be .7 What's your experience?

Every motor is a little different but most have it set between .63-.66 Only one person I seen that has it above .7 and he uses Best Duel Sport items. From what I was told after a certain voltage there's no noticeable change. Also if you plan on running an exhaust system, your setting will be different and some posted lower then with stock exhaust. In addition when using a tuner consult with them where the setting should be otherwise based on their testing/base setting.

Get a sicass racing chip for it I put one in my FE250 wow It woke it up  comes with 2 chips mild and wild the wild is for me 

The biggest part of break in and seating the rings is in the first hour. Also KTM/Husqvarna has a break in oil from the factory fill. It is not a synthetic. You need to follow that guide line with your break in to maximize ring seal and performance. Also I think "heat cycling" at idle actually hurts the break in process. I'm not really sure what its trying to accomplish and the rings should be under a load pretty quickly in your break in. Get the engine up to full temp and use alot of thottle but keep the revs to about 3/4 of max. Alot of heavy throttle bursts are great. You want the rings pressing against the cylinder to mazimize seal. Also getting the engine to load..ei running a gear tall, is perfect. Do that for about an hour and dump that oil and break in is done.

thanks for taking the time to respond it is appreciated.

Hi, great post and good info.

My dealer Carson Motor Sports told me about the

different break in oil and to continue using that for the first 6 hours.

My oil was pretty dirty and had a lot of metallic sheen after just 1 hour.

So my first change got new filter and just clean screens with the same mineral based oil  from Belray.

So after 2 more hours (total of 3) the oil is filthy. I just want to also say I broke this first 3 hours in on the street

and was really taking it easy on the bike.

Now the last 3 hours of mineral oil will also be break in, but the 3rd change will be at 6 hours total and after that get

the fully synthetic Belray Thumper 10w50 oil. At first I did not like the idea of not putting in the oil the manual states. But

after discovering that the factory used a break in oil (Belray mineral) and really all you are doing is keeping clean oil in the engine

for the same break in period, it made good sense to me. I have to say, the 1 hour oil was as dirty as I would ever want my oil

coming out of a bike. I can not imagine leaving that first oil in for 6 hours. I also feel you can not completely break in the engine,

transmission and bike in only 1 hours. If I was not planning on keeping it for several years, maybe then but I like to take care of my

stuff and then when I sell it have great confidence that I am giving somebody the best bike I can.