Sign in to follow this  

Kx250f leaking oil from overflow tube?

So I bought this 08 kx250f and it was all good, I did a oil change today and filled it up to halfway up the sight glass and started it up, and almost right away it started spitting out oil from what I think is the overflow tube (pretty large tube that's alone) and it was spitting pretty hard and white a bit was coming out, wasn't just little drips. and within 10 seconds the bike started smoking a little bit so I instantly shut it off and idk what to do now, if anyone knows why this is happening please let me know! I don't think there is too much oil I put it where it's supposed to go but it wasn't the best oil either, let me know !

So I bought this 08 kx250f and it was all good, I did a oil change today and filled it up to halfway up the sight glass and started it up, and almost right away it started spitting out oil from what I think is the overflow tube (pretty large tube that's alone) and it was spitting pretty hard and white a bit was coming out, wasn't just little drips. and within 10 seconds the bike started smoking a little bit so I instantly shut it off and idk what to do now, if anyone knows why this is happening please let me know! I don't think there is too much oil I put it where it's supposed to go but it wasn't the best oil either, let me know !

Warm the bike up and drain the oil into a clean container.  Measure what comes out.  Bet you over filled it.  The sight glass is not an accurate way to measure.  It's good for a comfort level at the track, but that's about it.  

Also be careful with that drain plug.  Easy to strip.  You don't want to do that.  One more thing.  There may be a second much smaller drain bolt on an 08.  I forgot, but if there is, that has to come out, too, in order to fully drain the oil.

Actually, if you let the thing sit overnight, you might be surprised how much extra comes out.  If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll get more advice on the KX250F topic.  

I just checked.  There is a small drain plug on the right front side.  Careful with that one, too.  It also strips easily.

Edited by Dragon67

My 04 kx250f & 08 kx450f sight windows weren't accurate, filled to the correct level in the sight window meant I was putting in more oil than the workshop manual specified. 

Also, not sure what the 250 is like but I think it was my 08 kx450f that had two drain holes for oil, not just the main sump plug (the other one was at the front in line with the main sump plug).

Thanks for the replys !

I won't use the sight glass for exact measurement next time, but I was aware of the second drain bolt. But if I ride it like this what will happen? Will the rest spit out until it's level? And why was it smoking?

The first (& only time) I did it I drained it out and re-filled it with the correct amount of oil, no further issues for me.

I'd drain it and put in what the manual says for your bike, then if it still blows smoke you've got a problem. 
My father-in-laws KTM SX350F started blowing smoke out breather, the oil jet for one cam clogged with something and destroyed the cam & a valve.

to use the site glass you need to put the oil in run the bike for a few minutes, let it sit for a few minutes then look at the site glass. There is a lot of spots the oil just lays in up in the motor. Not saying to just go by the site glass but if you do not see anything in the glass after doing what I said in the top its probably low or if the glass is completely filled there is more than likely to much. I'm not saying disregard the site glass comment before but use it for a reference for sure.