BYOB Questions

Beta riders,

I'm now leaning more for a Beta than a Husky. I'm really keen as the review and videos seems this is the bike for me. I'm not a pro rider and spend more trail riding with my kids, but I'm ready to get myself an early Christmas present and one that I can invest in for the long term.

I was looking at the BYOB range of rather sexy addons and I'm wondering whether these are cost-effective items. Please let me know about which products are great versus which to avoid.

I have my eye on getting tubeliss, 13/50 sprockets, exhaust guard (300RR), metal skid plate, extended tank, rad-guards, fan, rear/front disk guards and hand-guards. Seems the fork bleeders are needed too.

Possibly install a Scott's too and have looked at the Clake over a Rekluse.

I know this is not a computer I'm buying, but why don't they discount the items that are upgraded, i.e. gas tank, battery, etc. Do they give the items to you in a box..?

Also, I'm keen to look at alternative graphics but the images in the BYOB catalog are terrible. Did anyone select these as options as are there photos..?

I hope to join the ranks of the Beta riders association soon ?

Cheers

I'm on a 05 crf250r and so ready for a new bike. I've got a KTM dealer and a Beta dealer in my town and have been looking at the husky's.

I'm really leaning towards the 300rr myself but have not gotten to the BYOB stage yet but I'm going there now (bastard ?)

I am a bit surprised that your not getting a deal buying the options through BYOB but I am going to check this for my self.

Coming from honda there are so many great aftermarket products.

Anyway I would pick all your options but may be go 13/51 and if your not getting a deal, wait on the scotts and rekluse until you are sure you need them since I'm guessing these are about $1500.00 but if you have the $$$ go for it cus these are the only upgrades (other than tubliss) on your list that I have not done and would get next for my bike if I decide to keep it..

Keep me posted

• Like 1

Hello, I did a BYOB RS 430.  Not sure if I'm telling you the obvious, but you have to add the things to the cart to see what amount of discount they give you.  I did that and compared the prices of items in the cart to prices I found on them out on the net.  My experience was it depends on what item you're getting as to how much of a discount you get.  Although I never wound up getting the Rekluse clutch, I seem to remember it was a pretty good discount.  Other items, such as the Seat Concepts seat, which you can order, were not discounted very much or at all, but I wouldn't trade that Seat Concepts for the regular stock seat.  I believe that Beta will not install the larger gas tank; the dealer where you have it delivered to, however, usually will.  Ask your dealer to make sure the following is still the case, but the dealer told me that all the Beta RS models come with two front sprockets in the box--the 13 and the 15, so he told me not to order the 13 for the front, which is what I had planned to do.  If you're going through a dealer, ask him to have a look at your items before you buy.  I also found Frank Pilg - the guy who will contact you from Beta if you do a BYOB, to be honest, so ask him the questions straight up.  Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

When I purchased my Beta, I did the BYOB thing a number of times to get various costs. and asked some of the same questions. I ended up getting the slave guard and sharkfin, others on this forum and betariders.org indicated that the gearing that is stock would most likely suit me - and it did. The rest of the things were less money from my indy and I had the pleasure of install. My large tank came from my dealer at a deep discount and I like the PSI pipe guard better than the one supplied from Beta, the poly skidplate works well for me and both were at a discount. I believe now that the slave and fin can be purchased outside of Beta at a better price. Rode with the stock Euro tires for a couple of rides then put on my choice of tires along with Tubliss for far less money. BYOB is a handy thing and if you don't have a independent shop that you want to support, then that is the way to go.

• Like 1

I chose not to BYOB my 300. After comparing the savings vs. the benefit of spare stock parts vs. discounts buying my own parts BYOB just didn't pencil out.

Now if I were looking to finance all of the bling and bike cost together it would be an attractive option.

• Like 1

Just went back to see what I written and this is starting to be a long post ?

Ya I started playing with some options last night but quickly realized I have no idea what's spec'd for base OEM part's nor could I find anything on Beta's site or the internet but granted I did not spend much time really looking.

I mean I pretty sure it does NOT come stock with a skid plate, rekluse etc but it would help if you knew what make/model the stock tires, chain, bars, exhaust etc are. IMO it would then help focusing on what you could live with stock, add with BYOB or wait and add later.

Again I realize your not getting this option when your buying any other bike unless the dealer decides to spice up the oem model. For example my local KTM shop has lots of stock 300xc-w's but also have one they tricked out with hard parts.

I usually use rmavt and bike bandit to get my oem part numbers and check out after market stuff for my cfr250r then normally buy through my local shops as much as possible if they can come reasonably close to price (I'm in Canada so exhange rates etc) which they usually do.

I mean there is not much here

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Parts-Finder/-/-/12258/2015-BETA-300-RR

And Bike Bandit doesn't even list Beta as an option.

I ride long open FSR's, woods, and tight gnarly single track - So things I've upgraded on my 250R and really like and would be looking for either through BYOB or aftermarket and is kind of a list for my own reference ?

Acerbis (older model) open hand guards - I would stay open but go with something a bit more beefy

Acerbis front fork guards - These are black so cosmetic really

Acerbis front disk guard - These are black so cosmetic but it accommodates a larger than OEM rotor

Pro Taper CR HI bars - I really like these for the geometry of my bike

Larger tank - I can get 140kms safely so key for where and how I ride

Hour meter - I'm anal about maintenace

Sun Line V1 clutch lever/OEM Front brake lever - Having breakaway levers is key when using open hand guards. I carry a cheap front break lever cus its easy to replace on the trail but I would go breakaway for both clutch/front break

Fork Air Bleeder screws - Use these to release air once bike is strapped down in my truck

Sun Line 13T front sprocket - Found these have lasted better than the Renthal

Hammer Head case saver

Renthal R1 MX Works Chain - with proper cleaning and lubing this thing lasts

Renthal 51T TwinRing rear sprocket - For me this last's really well.

Front/Rear Lift straps - made these myself

Front/Rear Tires - This is a whole other topic but I'm willing to spend $$$$ and try different tires. I've been using Maxxis Desert IT's front/back and really like them. Just put on a Michelin S12 rear and looking at Goldentyre and Kenda Equilibrium's for the rear.

Tubes - HD Front and UHD rear - Tubliss would be my next option

Aluminum Skid Plate - Had on a plastic one but ripped a huge gash in it

Stock header and FMF silencer with spark arrestor.

Twin Air filters/skins/air box cover and no-toil

Sun Line Shifter

Over size pegs

Pro Taper pillow grips

Then there is the wish list like damper, rekluse, fan, graphics, goodies, protection  - there's a lot of options Whew.....

So if anyone has a list of the stock parts that are up-gradable for the bike, please feel free to post it.

Not sure if this is helping me or anyone else and I think I'm getting a bit carried away so please feel free to tell me to shut-up ?

Anyway - here's the base for the bike from BYOB and a quick BYOB I did last night (too bad it doesn't give you a total on this page)

Beta BYOB - Base.jpg

Beta BYOB - Option #1.jpg

Edited by filterx

I chose not to BYOB my 300. After comparing the savings vs. the benefit of spare stock parts vs. discounts buying my own parts BYOB just didn't pencil out.

Now if I were looking to finance all of the bling and bike cost together it would be an attractive option.

For the few things I added to my BYOB, I received all the stock parts that I upgraded. 

For the few things I added to my BYOB, I received all the stock parts that I upgraded.

Ya me too Now have a load of parts too. Not all of the changes but most.

Be sure to get your spring rates for you also. They seem to be a bit light from when I bought mine last year. I could have gone up one more level on the rear shock. After riding for 6 months or so we had to really crank down the spring to get the sag right

Mark

Edited by Hafty
  • Like 1

That's nice. I assumed that you paid more and didn't get the stock parts. It makes something like a set of sumo wheels more attractive.

I keep successfully talking myself out of a BYOB $15K 480RS. Maybe not for much longer.

• Like 1

That's nice. I assumed that you paid more and didn't get the stock parts. It makes something like a set of sumo wheels more attractive.

I keep successfully talking myself out of a BYOB $15K 480RS. Maybe not for much longer.

I'm not sure on the wheel sets. I ordered another set of stronger wheels (DID dirt star ST-X) through http://www.radmfg.com. I didn't get the sumo rims but I wanted a set of wheels for street tires with cush hubs. They were right around 1240.00 If you don't see something you want on their web site, just ask. They like to hold certain rims for sponsored racers and don't list them but you can get them with persistence. My BYOB totaled 11,400 and OTD price was 10,000.

Edited by Rotax
  • Like 1

I didn't do BYOB. Was able to use rad guards from my KTM. Riser and handguards from my husky. Came stock with decent skidplate though could be a bit wider to protect sidecases more. Ordered a larger tank and adjustable fuel screw and good to go! Springs according to charts are light so may be better off trying it out and see what you need. Will wear out stock tires (which are pretty decent) then put on my favorite S12s and ultra heavy duty tubes. Platic colors and graphics will become damaged at some point and will personalize then.