XR600R with CRF Rear Suspension

New member, first post. So I've been dying to update the XR's suspension, my swingarms arrived today-2003 CRF450 & 2005 CRF 250. Both swing arms fit in between the frame rails on the Xr with a 1/4" side to side gap. Both arms appear to be identical with the only differences being cosmetic. I will get the calipers out & confirm this. I had found 1 thread on this topic where the guy said it wouldn't fit without machining although he did not elaborate further. I wanted to get this info out stat incase there's other looking to do similar mods. The linkage should be here in the next few days as well as the shock so I'll update as progress continues &'post pictures as well.

• Like 1

My experience with other XR linkage and Honda MX linkage is the ratios are much different, the clue is in the big differences in spring rates between the two types of linkage, about 2:1.

The XRs that I have experience with put the linkage and shock above the swing arm so they are protected from rock damage, the MX style puts the linkage below the swing arm.  That is why I have a special glide plate to protect the linkage from trail damage on my CRF.

Linkage rising rate is very dependent  on the location of the chassis brackets relative to the SA, might want to consider replicating the CRF chassis mount locations on your XR.

The actual layout of the holes in the relay arm that the shock connects to will also affect the rising rate.

It strikes me that an XR600 is about 50 pounds too heavy to be trusted with a CRF swing arm, though

The actual layout of the holes in the relay arm that the shock connects to will also affect the rising rate.

It strikes me that an XR600 is about 50 pounds to heavy to be trusted with a CRF swing arm, though

mehh

what about someone riding the crf that weighs 270lbs? thats about 50lbs to heavy

it takes gnarly guys abuse in supercross..... so shouldn't it take some plonkin around in the desert??

not rhetorical - do they actually publish maximum rider weights in any manuals i don't recall seeing that in my honda manuals but it could be there

Can someone with an 88-00 xr600r please give me a measurement: rear axle center to rear fender bolt center with no weight on the back tire. Suspension at full droop, tire off the ground. Here's a progress pic. Swing arm is dialed, sprockets aligned, linkage ratio almost dialed currently at 2.85:1 (I have a plan don't worry) shock will be here Thursday. Length is not an issue, upper frame rail...tbd. First two replies obviously not worth responding. Well, almost, let's just say there's a reason the rapists at XR's only are still in business. Thanks.

nice, hey you know if a crf swing arm will fit,

so will an sxv swing arm

2008-aprilia-sxv-4-5-5-5-4_600x0w.jpg

because a sxv swing arm fits a crf

blackdiamond1.jpg

but seriously from what i can see

your going to have one bad ass bike there

are you going to put an FCR41 on that thing????

what kind of exhaust?

Thats how I confirmed the crf arm would fit. I found measurements for the aprilia arms. I'm assuming that's your bike. That's a killer looking swing arm for sure. Gotta get you a license plate!! Is the aprilia plated? And yes I put the 08-450 carb on the Xr in 09. It rips for sure, only really lost one race to an 06' kxf450 in sm trim that won the supermoto USA championship in 2 classes. He took me off the line & it was over. My excuse was the 13/51 gears he had compared to my 15/42 & tranny gears play a part too. The exhaust is the stainless oem tubes into a SuperTrapp can that I shortened 3.25" inches. As soon as everything is in place, before it gets Dyno tuned my buddy (fish mouth fab works-google it) is going to build custom stainless tig welded tubes into an under tail can (I think) depends on looks. Where in Ca are you? I'm 20 min east of sac.

Not sure if anyone is following this or if it's in the right place but here's an update; without hacking the frame rail I couldn't get the crf shock to fit, basic measurements without the shock yielded 2.6:1 rate. After deciding to ditch the crf shock idea & researching a remote reservoir custom shock which was too expensive I started looking into factory shocks from different model bikes. The pds shock from an 06-11 ktm exc fits great. A mount needs to welded to the top of the swingarm & the upper shock mounts has to be spread 3/16". I doubt the air box will fit now but, that's no concern since 90% of riding will be street. I picked up a very slightly used ohlins ttx44 today here's a progress pic. I also have a lead on crf450 forks that have had the legs TiN coated, gold valves & a fresh rebuild. So I need crf clamps now. I'm researching into model/year offset changes to give the best rake for the canyons. Any input is appreciated.

image.jpg

• Like 2

47mm showas fit perfectly in 1997 46mm KYB trees. In other words 1997 CR500 trees work with 2007 CRF250r forks, no shimming, perfect gaps.

• Like 1

47mm showas fit perfectly in 1997 46mm KYB trees. In other words 1997 CR500 trees work with 2007 CRF250r forks, no shimming, perfect gaps.

where in ca are you??

Not sure if anyone is following this or if it's in the right place but here's an update; without hacking the frame rail I couldn't get the crf shock to fit, basic measurements without the shock yielded 2.6:1 rate. After deciding to ditch the crf shock idea & researching a remote reservoir custom shock which was too expensive I started looking into factory shocks from different model bikes. The pds shock from an 06-11 ktm exc fits great. A mount needs to welded to the top of the swingarm & the upper shock mounts has to be spread 3/16". I doubt the air box will fit now but, that's no concern since 90% of riding will be street. I picked up a very slightly used ohlins ttx44 today here's a progress pic. I also have a lead on crf450 forks that have had the legs TiN coated, gold valves & a fresh rebuild. So I need crf clamps now. I'm researching into model/year offset changes to give the best rake for the canyons. Any input is appreciated.
post-435015-0-58143700-1432412837_thumb.jpg

What did you mean by hacking the frame?