Sign in to follow this  

Synthetic 2 stroke oil vs Non-synthetic

I have always ran full synthetic never non-syn it has just always worked out for me and its how my father taught me to mix oil 10 something years ago whats the difference in between these anyway?

With the exception of castor oil used in high temp racing engines that is an excellent lubricant  (but very messy once cooled / not clean burning)

synthetic 2-stroke oils will have a much better tolerance to cold or hot temperature extremes

and perhaps a higher film strengh than a mineral when pushed to it's limits.

Perhap overkill in many recreational uses,

I consider it a 'cheap' insurance against posssible problems in high-reving, expensive to repair motocross engines.

Edited by mlatour

With the exception of castor oil used in high temp racing engines that is an excellent lubricant  (but very messy once cooled / not clean burning)

synthetic 2-stroke oils will have a much better tolerance to cold or hot temperature extremes

and perhaps a higher film strengh than a mineral when pushed to it's limits.

Perhap overkill in many recreational uses,

I consider it a 'cheap' insurance against posssible problems in high-reving, expensive to repair motocross engines.

Ive used Dominator synthetic my whole life usually with the smaller cc bikes i have ill run a 55-1 mix ratio for being on the gas alot more especially on my 125 or 250 but when i use my 500 i just run a 40-1 and that seems to be more than enough power for me  :D

Edited by ItsFreestyleTime

Seen the inside of many watercraft and sled motors ran on either bombardier regular or synthetic oil. Some the manufacture insisted on being run on only synthetic.  Saw no difference in wear, amount of wear for the miles or hours were about the same, What you did see was less carbon with synthetic, and what there was cleaned up easier.  With some of the aftermarket synthetics there was always concern of storage rust in the lower end. A mineral or semi in the same brand may have been a better choice.

Seen the inside of many watercraft and sled motors ran on either bombardier regular or synthetic oil. Some the manufacture insisted on being run on only synthetic.  Saw no difference in wear, amount of wear for the miles or hours were about the same, What you did see was less carbon with synthetic, and what there was cleaned up easier.  With some of the aftermarket synthetics there was always concern of storage rust in the lower end. A mineral or semi in the same brand may have been a better choice.

Yeah luckily im very sensitive about the stuff that goes into my bikes! i always stay away from the cheap stuff, it will pay out when you have to rebuild your engine for sure!

Even using top quality sythetics,

I'd still keep the premix ratio in the 32:1 range for 85-125-250cc MX bikes

and 40:1 / 50:1 for 250cc or larger off-road/enduro bikes.

Newer oils may be a much better lubricants than products available years ago when ratios were 20:1

but in my opinion, 50:1 or less oil is un-necesarely testing the limits of these lubricants, leaving less of a safety cushion when the engine itself is pushed to it's limits.

Edited by mlatour