drz400 suspension

Hi. This is my first post on here so be gentle.

I have just had my drz400sm '08 rear shock rebuilt. The mechanic told me he'd put it back to original spec. Before I had the work done I could lean right over and peg scrape/get my knee down on corners. But now the shocks been rebuilt, (suspension very bouncy) whenever I lean hard on a corner, my bike starts to judder like it's trying to throw me off? I'm a pretty confident d.i.y mechanic, rebuilt engines and geaeboxes in the past, but have never worked on suspension. Basically I want to put it back to how it was before, (previous owner set suspension up, but don't know what to) I'm confused, my suspension spring is compressed to its hardest.. do I loosen the nuts off abit? Thanks in advance for any help guys

Hi. This is my first post on here so be gentle.

I have just had my drz400sm '08 rear shock rebuilt. The mechanic told me he'd put it back to original spec. Before I had the work done I could lean right over and peg scrape/get my knee down on corners. But now the shocks been rebuilt, (suspension very bouncy) whenever I lean hard on a corner, my bike starts to judder like it's trying to throw me off? I'm a pretty confident d.i.y mechanic, rebuilt engines and geaeboxes in the past, but have never worked on suspension. Basically I want to put it back to how it was before, (previous owner set suspension up, but don't know what to) I'm confused, my suspension spring is compressed to its hardest.. do I loosen the nuts off abit? Thanks in advance for any help guys

When you say, "The mechanic told me he'd put it back to original spec"... do you mean he changed the internal valving (shims) and/or spring and/or set the clickers/adjustments back to factory settings?

First I'd check the spring rate, by measuring the static and race sag (http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Sag).  Report back what your measurements are.  You should be targeting a race sag of around 70-80 mm (for SM).  The static sag or how much preload you have on the spring, will determine if its right or not.

Thanks for the reply. My shock blew and leaked oil evrywhere so I sent it for a rebuild. I didn't go into the specifics of it but he did say he regassed it, and put a new seal block in the bottom, if that makes sense. I'll get some measurements when I'm not at work and get back to you.

I've got an '06 drz do you have to pull the shock out/ take off the subframe to adjust the preload on it ?

No. To get the spring out take off the seat, and rear side panels, remove all the linkage and dog bones at the bottom, after that, undo the nut and bolt that hold the top of the spring in place, make sure you hold the spring while doing it or it will try fall, the gas compartment, at the top the spring will not fit through the swinging arm. Lower the spring into the swinging arm about half way and pull it out of the space on the right hand side of the subframe!if that doesn't make sense there is a good step by step guide on YouTube!

Thanks

just to make sure - no need to remove the shock to change the preload / set the sag!

I take the right side panel off and whack the adjuster rings with something and a hammer (best to use something softer than the aluminium rings but I've used a steel screwdriver ... the bike is a little less pretty after that but it's in a place nobody sees! :) ) ... hit the locking ring to free it and then the adjusting ring. you can look up or calculate how much the preload changes with each turn of the adjuster to make the process faster

get a friend to help you measure if you can!, but as I understand it there are ways that make it easier if you're by yourself