Exhaust leak

I have a leak on the muffler of jardine rt-4 Exhaust, The can is keeped in place by 2 small springs which are attached to the can by a small metal bracket that i think is riveted on, the bracket on one of them seems to have come off and taken the rivet with them and now im left with a leaking hole and the rear of my can is moving because the spring isint there to hold it in place. Im wondering if anyone has any advice on how to repair the hole and replace the small bracket.

thanks

Chicken

If you haven't got the proper tools or materials , the easy way would be to take it to a good exhaust shop and ask them to sort it for you

Yeah .. A shop is one option or get some quotes .

Or check out You Tube .

Until you find a shop to repair it, I'm sure some black RTV gasket sealant would plug your hole and resist heat.  At the joint, use a band of rubber with a pipe clamp hold it on.  Don't make this permanent though!

Never heard of that brand need pictures to offer opinion for repair Lesson learned Spend more up front on quality (yoshi, MRD, FMF) and not have This type of issue

Edited by DrD

Never heard of that brand need pictures to offer opinion for repair Lesson learned Spend more up front on quality (yoshi, MRD, FMF) and not have This type of issue

Not a cheap can , they have been around for years, big in the sports bike world and they used to make a lot of mx and quad cans but they transitioned out of that and your argument for FMF is flawed in my eyes because my powerbomb header split into two pieces.

Ill take some pictures when i get home to the bike 

Edited by chicken0207

2747CDF3-8B77-4037-A5C4-E0431A015A6F_zps

Upon second inspection it looks like one of the pop rivets at the back of the can just came off , so im thinking i should just be able to replace the rivet.

Well i picked up some 3/16th rivets like the internet told me should fit but they dont seem to be big enough, the go in and seem kinda tight but if you pull on them they come out, is it possible it needs a bigger size rivet, anyone have any advice on the size rivets i might need ?

Take it to a muffler shop or some one with a mig welder and weld the retention bracket back in place.

If you must use a rivit............. get a stainless steel one, they are hard to find but are better in this application. It looks like the hole has been enlarged by the original rivit pulling out, you may have to drill it to the next size up for a bigger rivit.

Make sure the rivit you get is for the proper metal thickness.....................

Edited by EarthCruzn

Take it to a muffler shop or some one with a mig welder and weld the retention bracket back in place.

If you must use a rivit............. get a stainless steel one, they are hard to find but are better in this application. It looks like the hole has been enlarged by the original rivit pulling out, you may have to drill it to the next size up for a bigger rivit.

Make sure the rivit you get is for the proper metal thickness.....................

What do you do you mean by weld the retention bracket

Edited by chicken0207

What do you do you mean by weld the retention bracket

I believe he would be talking about the piece that the spring hooks on to.... :)

I believe he would be talking about the piece that the spring hooks on to.... :)

Exactly, if you use a rivit it must be for the metal thickness or it will pull out.

Exhaust + what ever bracket you are attaching to it = Length of rivit 

Hole = size of rivit............. Understand??