Sign in to follow this  

Stuck crank.

Hi gang. 

Just replaced the main bearings and crank, stuck the two case halves back together and after tightening the case bolts the crank jammed solid. 
Loosened the case bolts off a little and it freed up again. 

Must be just a tiny bit off somewhere. 

What do you guys think the cause is? Bearings not seated all the way? 

Just having lunch and will get back to it, just thought I would run it by you guys first. 

regards :)
Larrikin

Did the bearing go in the case first or on the crank first? Crank seated in the left bearing? Are you using a puller to bring the crank into the right bearing?

Hi gang.

Just replaced the main bearings and crank, stuck the two case halves back together and after tightening the case bolts the crank jammed solid.

Loosened the case bolts off a little and it freed up again.

Must be just a tiny bit off somewhere.

What do you guys think the cause is? Bearings not seated all the way?

Just having lunch and will get back to it, just thought I would run it by you guys first.

regards :)

Larrikin

How did you seat the bearings into the case?

Did you pull the crank into the right side or try to put it all together by just pulling in the case together-with the bolts?

I sweated them in. 

Split the case again, noticed one bearing was not 100% all the way in, guess the crank was rubbing against it when I tightened the case up. 

Was getting late yesterday, will join it up today, hopefully no dramas again :)

I sweated them in. 

Split the case again, noticed one bearing was not 100% all the way in, guess the crank was rubbing against it when I tightened the case up. 

Was getting late yesterday, will join it up today, hopefully no dramas again :)

yes if the bearings are not seated all the way in the case, the bearing side cleaners is used up and the crank/ bearings bind.

Same thing if the bearings are in the case, but the crank is not pulled into the bearing all the way..when you put the case together the left bearing/ crank bind 

yes if the bearings are not seated all the way in the case, the bearing side cleaners is used up and the crank/ bearings bind.

Same thing if the bearings are in the case, but the crank is not pulled into the bearing all the way..when you put the case together the left bearing/ crank bind 

yep. thank you. 

one bearing was out by .5mm.. reheated the case, couple of taps on the rim of the bearing ( i know not ideal but no bearing tool here atm) and it bobs your uncle. 

• Like 1