2009 450sx-f

Hello all I'm new to board and going to pick up a 09 450sxf in 9 days. I've always been a two stroke guy (cr250's) and after years of fighting it off I'm going 4stroke. Bike only has 25 hours on it but I am looking for any advice/suggestions/known issues etc as far as problems and things I might need to address right off the bat . Hopefully I put this in right area and thanks in advance for replies and help. I've been told and read to use Rotella oil , not sure what weight yet and to invest in a cleanable/reusable oil filter. Bike will be used to race vet class mx and I'm looking for a shop manual as well just thought if ask the experts first. Thanks

Great bike if you can be OK with the 4 speed. Question is , what kind of riding are you going yo be doing ?

The 450sxf is a really good choice in that the motor really doesn't have a big hit anywhere in the powerband. It produces tons of power in any rpm range .amazingly friendly power .

But , its friendliness must be respected .

Rotella ? 15-40

He said he is riding MX with it.  Like ohiocoalminer said, the power delivery of this engine with the 4 speed works pretty well on a track. 

Be prepared to change the water pump seals fairly soon if they have not been changed already.  KTM put them in backwards when they were new in these motors so they start leaking out the weep hole within the first 30hrs. 

Get a manual cam chain tensioner.  The stock one uses oil pressure to keep the chain tight.  When you go to the manual one, it allows you to block off the oil port which increases oil flow to the cam journals and valve train.  Seizing cams in the head has been a problem in some of these motors.  My 08 450sxf bike I bought has about 35 hours on it with the stock tensioner, and my 09 quad with 140hrs has had a manual one since almost new.  Basically the same motor and the head and cams look better in the 09!  Also, shim the high pressure oil pump (the one by the shifter) check ball spring with a 1mm washer to increase the pressure.

Get an hour meter for maintenance intervals.

I've heard lots of people run the 15-40 Rotella.  My quad motor doesn't seem to like it though.  After 3hrs it's absolutely done and the transmission gets notchy.  Personally I've been using Amsoil and it makes it 5-6 hrs of hard MX use.  Whatever you use, just change it often with these motors.

Ditto on the camchain tensioner !

I have run rotella for a LONG time . In normal riding I change oil every 2 rides. Hairscramble every ride . I don't moto .

Also get suspension resprung for your weight ...those forks will punish you if you don't.

That's exactly kind of info I was looking for. Thanks guys. I'm gonna tear it down and give it a once over just to get a ideal how everything looks so ill do the tensioner , water pump seal and check out the spacer for increased oil up top. It's supposed to have a high dollar shock on it which I'm dying to check out but I know I'll have to go with bigger springs already I'm a hefty fellow lol. I've always used race-tech springs and valves anyone used them on the ktm's ? Just curious if their calculator was close to what you ended up needing. It always tended to be on the soft side on my Honda's. Thanks again for the info. You guys are great

I'd thought I would hang onto my 09 for a while.   - changed cam tensor with dicks, changed oil pump, transfer pumps, relief spring. For sure 25 hrs? you should be ok with piston/rings.  I Use rotella 15-40 and change all the time.  Front and rear suspension need help.  I re-valved my rear through MX1, it was ok.. then went to a Ohlins ttx450 rear shock with stock valving, it is much better then re-valved stock.  Had the front forks re-valved 2x, still not the best.  Carb jet kit helps.  Use a lithium ion battery, starts much easier with the higher voltage.  My bike has cams in it, prob dont need them.  Never had any probs with waterpump seal, have over 150 hrs on my bike.  

Its been a good bike, would not mind getting a 2016.  May I ask what you paid for a 09 with 25 hrs?

Yeah 25.2 hours for sure. It was fitted with hour meter when he bought it new. Seen some of paper work on it. Says he Has over $3000 on rear shock alone but haven't seen paper work on it yet. I'm giving him $1500 for bike and a ton of gear and all the parts he has for it. Mostly add ons he never installed. It seems like a deal I couldn't pass up plus I've done work for him before and never charged him that's why the price is so low.

I see that model sell around 3k

I have an 09 and love it . Strictly of road. Great bike

Sounds like you got a good deal!  I bought my 08 two years ago with 23 original hours on it with every add-on part KTM made for the bike other than the shock and forks.  I know the original owner so I knew the hours were legit. I thought $3500 then was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Havingfun, they must have got the seals in right on yours.  Both my quad and bike engines starting leaking right away and the outside seals were backwards.

Mine must be a fluke. It has well past 150hrs...no weepage.

I've had mine for almost 3 years..paid 3k ...around 30 hours . Just a dealer demo bike.

Yeah 25.2 hours for sure. It was fitted with hour meter when he bought it new. Seen some of paper work on it. Says he Has over $3000 on rear shock alone but haven't seen paper work on it yet. I'm giving him $1500 for bike and a ton of gear and all the parts he has for it. Mostly add ons he never installed. It seems like a deal I couldn't pass up plus I've done work for him before and never charged him that's why the price is so low.

yea I am thinking my 09 with 150 hours, Ohlins rear shock and revalved forks and a few other things, well taken care of..  might be worth 4-5k, not sure.

Your deal seems to good to be true.  I can imagine someone could add a hour meter later on and you'd never know.  Once you open it up, you can tell if stock piston and how much wear, etc.  I would guess a 09 hour meter battery has been changed at least once and I suspect it resets itself.  As long as it runs good is all that maters..

Edited by Havingfun

Sounds like you got a good deal!  I bought my 08 two years ago with 23 original hours on it with every add-on part KTM made for the bike other than the shock and forks.  I know the original owner so I knew the hours were legit. I thought $3500 then was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Havingfun, they must have got the seals in right on yours.  Both my quad and bike engines starting leaking right away and the outside seals were backwards.

they must have made some changes somewhere along the line.