DRZ leaks fuel when lay down. How can I stop this?

I would like the bike to not leak fuel when I lie it down, but I like having a reserve position on my petcock.

Is there a vacuum operated petcock, which retains the reserve function, available for the DRZ? I've looked around on the web but can't find anything. Maybe you guys and girls know of something suitable.

Failing that, has anyone tried fitting a universal vacuum operated fuel valve before? That way, I could keep the standard petcock and still have the fuel flow stop when the bike is lay down (and not running).

Thanks in advance.

I would like the bike to not leak fuel when I lie it down, but I like having a reserve position on my petcock.

Is there a vacuum operated petcock, which retains the reserve function, available for the DRZ? I've looked around on the web but can't find anything. Maybe you guys and girls know of something suitable.

Failing that, has anyone tried fitting a universal vacuum operated fuel valve before? That way, I could keep the standard petcock and still have the fuel flow stop when the bike is lay down (and not running).

Thanks in advance.

you lay the bike over, the float needle unseats, and the fuel from the float bowl pours out. this isn't anything to do with the petcock. 

• Like 2

I don't make a habit of it. ?  
I'm doing some more reading on this while you guys are answering. I guess it's just a carb'd bike thing. That float bowl overflow output has to go somewhere I guess.

I was puzzled because I've seen trail bikes laid down while their riders stop for a break and I didn't understand why they weren't draining fuel. I now understand; they were more modern, fuel injected bikes!

even a FI bike will leak from the tank vent (when the tank is more then ~1/2 full of fuel.

with a vacuum petcock like the oem one: with the engine off, it should only leak what's in the carb bowl and fuel hose already.  You won't empty the tank completly.

(and whatever can leak from the fuel cap.)

the raptor petcock have the on-off-reserve.  switch it to off before laying it down.....but whatever is left in the carb bowl and fuel line with leak.

Edited by maxpat82
  • Like 1

Coming from the sportbike world I read this and thought " &%$#@!, why are you laying it on it's side! There's your problem right there!"

I slowly dropped my DRZ yesterday in the driveway yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of damage.

Edited by TheBeeDeeGee

Ah, that makes perfect sense. Thanks.

So, to rephrase my question:  

How do I stop my DRZ from leaking fuel when I lay it down?

it's gonna leak. lean it against a tree/rock, or just use the sidestand. 

• Like 1

Coming from the sportbike world I read this and thought " &%$#@!, why are you laying it on it's side! There's your problem right there!"

I slowly dropped my DRZ yesterday in the driveway yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of damage.

Sometimes when I hang out with my sportbike riding buddies I kick my bike over on purpose just to be a dick. Then I yell "oh no it's totaled!"

One day I'll actually break something and feel like an idiot, but till then it always gets a chuckle

• Like 2