Front end tweaked.

OK, I bought a 07 drz400s last night. The handlebars is cocked to one side slightly. You can tell the bars and front tire are not aligned. My question is; how do I tell if the tubes are just twisted, or what? Should I loosen the trees and see if I can straighten it out?

You can tell if it's twisted by riding it or by looking at it. You can loosen up the front end to straighten things, or pull up to a tree, fence post or something solid and bang the tire against it until straight. This is a tried and true method that had been developed and perfected over the last 30 years.

t

You can tell if it's twisted by riding it or by looking at it. You can loosen up the front end to straighten things, or pull up to a tree, fence post or something solid and bang the tire against it until straight. This is a tried and true method that had been developed and perfected over the last 30 years.

^ Pretty much it... if after you try all that and its still tweaked or misaligned, then maybe you have a bent component (handlebar, triple trees, forks, etc...).  I like using plate glass across the fork stanchions to get the forks lined up dead-on and it doesn't rely on the handlebars (how they look in relation to the front wheel), which might be bent especially if their the stock steel ones and the bikes had its fair share of dirt naps.  Then its a matter of getting the fork aligned on the front axle and not preloaded.

OK, something is bent for sure. Riding it, within a few feet I could tell something is up. The bars are not straight. The bars themselves don't look bent. Each side looks pretty close to the same. Bars say renthal, so I'm guessing aftermarket. I'll try to mess with it at lunch today. Hopefully its just a little tweak. Its a dirt bike. I know its not going to be the same as my street bikes. I don't care if its rough around the edges.

I'm definitely glad I went with this one over a 250. The previous owner thought this this was ball out fast. His first bike.

Its got some pep to it. Going to hit some dirt roads sunday with the wife. Should pick up her tw200 tomorrow.

Edited by gantt

The stock was are easy to tweak. Dropping the bike will twist the bars and their mounts.

It'll look like the front is bent, but it's just misaligned.

Loosen the top clamp and the bar mounts. Re-adjust and re-align it. 15 minute job.