dialling in cams

Hi yas, I have an 08 which I'm currently in the process of rebuilding and I am curious if anyone has dialled their cams in and if so what the gains were and were they worth it, my bike is a stocker and believe it or not has 182 hrs on the bottom end! Hence the rebuild.... my have the opportunity to get the cams dialled by my nephew m/cycle mech while he is rebuilding it, he has done several and has found cam timing to be 2-4° out of spec which to me is alot

Less than 2 degrees is acceptable for me.

Now by you saying dialling do you mean degreeing the cam?  If its the stock cam you wont be able to move it the degree it.you will need a adjustable timing gear. I would aslo bet you wont find any gains on 2 degrees unless your on a dyno.

Less than 2 degrees is acceptable for me.

120 MOA is huge at the range, lol

120 MOA is huge at the range, lol

If the intake should be installed at 106 and it is installed it at 104.5 I will see a difference???

If the intake should be installed at 106 and it is installed it at 104.5 I will see a difference???

It will take off

on road race bike 1,5 degrees on intake is noticeable difference

I think the most important place to start is with a new timing chain as a used ones will retard cam timing. The cam sprocket is pressed onto the cam and I don't know of any adjustable sprockets.

Edited by Chuck.

That was what I was thinking. A wore out timing chain could cause the cam to advance and retard while riding.

That was what I was thinking. A wore out timing chain could cause the cam to advance and retard while riding.

Sure can, as you noted a lose chain can also  advance/retard, common on earlier XRs with a fixed tensioner and/or badly worn sliders. I don't know if the auto tensioner on the CRFs have enough range to control chain slap on a badly worn chain but on my X a worn chain retarded cam timing enough to make the engine difficult to start while the tensioner seemed to still have some range. The clue to a worn chain was the timing was almost a half tooth retarded, a new chain fixed the problem.

Web makes adjustable gears that can be pressed onto the stock cam. That being said, you can press the stock gear off and press it back on in a different position. I've done it many times