Sign in to follow this  

2014 DRZ400SM

Hello everyone. I am purchasing a brand new 2014 SM. Do i still need to do all the DRZ fixes to a 2014 model or has Suzuki fixed any of them? (Locktite fixes)

Thanks

Yes you would still need to do the loctite fixes. It is not a problem that all DRZs have but rather something that has happened to a number of people over the years. 

Most people fix the issue before it becomes a problem  :thumbsup:

Please read through all the topics in the FAQ Forum and slowly do all the Loctite fixes,manual cam chain tensioner,case savers,foot shifter backside round-over,sidestand bypass and clutch interlock switch by-pass,record your valve clearances,do the free-power mod and change your oil frequently.Some of the fixes may not be needed but be sure to check to be sure and give yourself peace of mind anyway and you will have an extremely reliable bike for many years.

• Like 1

Please read through all the topics in the FAQ Forum and slowly do all the Loctite fixes,manual cam chain tensioner,case savers,foot shifter backside round-over,sidestand bypass and clutch interlock switch by-pass,record your valve clearances,do the free-power mod and change your oil frequently.Some of the fixes may not be needed but be sure to check to be sure and give yourself peace of mind anyway and you will have an extremely reliable bike for many years.

Listen to this guy. You'll have one helluva reliable bike after these "fixes".

In addition- I have a 2013. The counter sprocket comes loose often. Check it often. When I did the rest of the loctite mods, I found some of the stator bolts to have loctite already (but not red) and no loctite on the rest of the nuts such as the primary and counter balancer. It's easiest to buy the needed gasket and get it all over with in one go on a rainy weekend. 

Good luck!

i wouldnt on a new bike with a warranty but thats me, i typically dont worry about a bike 'falling apart' lol .. the way i look at it its more 'how' you ride and treat a bike than anything .. if your a thrasher type person extracting every ounce of performance out of a bike and beating the living daylights out of it, sure, you need to ace it up and slather goop all over every fastener ... on the other hand if your an easy going person and dont push your machines you'll likely never have a problem out of it doing nothing .. mines an '00 model and has never had a case cover off or loctite on anything ...

Hello everyone. I am purchasing a brand new 2014 SM. Do i still need to do all the DRZ fixes to a 2014 model or has Suzuki fixed any of them? (Locktite fixes)

Thanks

it's the same, from 2000 to 2015. when the 2016 model comes out, it will be the same too. 

the warrantee is a piece of paper, and it won't prevent the rear wheel locking up at 70 mph. 

it's the same, from 2000 to 2015. when the 2016 model comes out, it will be the same too.

the warrantee is a piece of paper, and it won't prevent the rear wheel locking up at 70 mph.

Ummmm from what I've heard it won't be! I hear that they are switching to a 450 thumper with RM power and DRZ reliability, fuel injection, 6 speed wide ratio Trans, oil sight glass, every bolt properly loctited, a new seat that is more comfy than a lazy boy, a new sleek redesigned tail light, and the best upgrade Bold New Graphics!!!! The bike can also go 0-100 in 2 seconds and beat a R1 in the quarter mile without violently throwing you off on launch! That's the rumors on the message boards ;)
  • Like 1

Shoot, and I just bought a 2015! Darn, I thought you guys would have told me earlier (sarcasm)...

Anyhow, new member and bike, thanks for all this great info, love this bike! I'm 56 and back to the dual sport (have Harley Fatboy and had a Triumph Street Triple) after 25 years! Having a ball, and I can actually wrench something myself for change....

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430664014.592304.jpg

So far the essentials:

TT bash plate

Unabomber rad guards

2" risers

Seat concepts coming tomorrow (I'm height challenged, hence the gel seat)

Oil change

Next, loctite, 3x3 w jets, exhaust, hand guards........... Yup I got the bug!

• Like 1